RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Thinking of buying high mileage RX300 4x4 for second vehicle..Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 09:01 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of buying high mileage RX300 4x4 for second vehicle..Opinions?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a second vehicle for utility and beach purposes only.

I need a small SUV that I can pick stuff up with and also use to drive on the beach here in Corpus.

I found a 99 model with 105k miles that seems to be in great shape. They are asking $10,9 for it but I'm sure I can get the price down a bit.

Are the RXs reliable in the higher mileage ranges? Also, is there anything I should look out for because of the mileage?

I'm also looking at Nissan Xterras and they seem to be priced about the same for a little newer model. I'm not going to rag out the vehicle, but simply use it as a SUV for the sand and carrying stuff that won't fit in my SC..

I'm completely aware of the reliability of the SC and GS (as I have had 2 SCs and 1 GS).. Is the RX the same?

Thanks!
justin
Old 05-23-06, 09:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Being in Texas, if you ever get down to Mexico City, do bring either that SC or that 99 RX down to my track, I got plenty of room.

You probably can bargain down just a teeny bit more on price as I have seen some go for a little less on the final price.

I wouldn't take the Xtrerra. This comes from friends with this vehicle in Mexico (both the old one and the new higher hp one) and I think all except one ended up getting an Xtrail (which will come to the U.S. in the future) or a Murano (I also had a friend with a broken transfer case on her Murano with under 35K miles).

Make sure it has all of the applicable maintenance records and pay particular attention to the transmission fluid changes (15K drain and fill) and oil changes (I would say 7.5K max (though 5K would be preferable on the changes and also see what type of oil they were using). The tranny fluid should be red and not brown or silvery/pinkish.

I wouldn't know how to compare the RX to the GS or SC reliabiltiy wise as it really depends on how you are using it. However, given the use you probably know my RX gets on the track and even offroad down here, I think you will find the RX has a very high reliability record.
Old 05-23-06, 09:32 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For sand, sugggest a body on frame design with a two speed transfer case, four wheel drive.
Like a four runner...
The transaxle in the RX is not heavy enough to handle the stress. Four wheel Lo in sand is the way to go. You have to try to get stuck.
Old 05-23-06, 09:36 AM
hksimpson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure an expert will reply soon, but when I went looking for a used RX300, I found mostly very high mileage ones (130-160K) and all ran and drove nice. About 1/3 had transmission issues along the way, but I think that it due to not being serviced. None had every had a major mechanical failure.

It seems like the key factor was the service history. Vehicles that are serviced properly are the only way to go. WIthout a clear picture of what the car was treated like, it is only a guess as to whether your car will last one month of five years without repairs.

I don't know what the market is like in your area, but in California where we pay too much for everything, high-mileage RX300's are a bargain. Even at a dealer I have seen them go for under $10K.
Old 05-23-06, 09:38 AM
hksimpson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't read all of your post. If you are going to 4-wheel your car, I agree about a more truck like vehicle and a 4-runner seems like a great choice.
Old 05-23-06, 10:47 AM
salimshah

Received 1,094 Likes on 985 Posts

You will mostly hear about engine-oil-gel and transmission issues. Both of these should not be dismised, but with adequate maintainance history, you can derive some comfort. Although you will see number of posts regarding transmission issues, statistically no one has been come up with % failing units. Fix has been replace the transmission and we really dont know which component is prone to failure.

Other than the above, know the limitations of the vehicle you are trying to get.

A/C on RX300 is a bit weak [large cabin maybe] but in Texas heat you need the tint.
Turning radius is poor.
Fuel tank/range was poor in earlier models.
RX will perform great on paved roads and wet/compacted sand. [abosolutely no issues]
Soft sand, mud etc may be problamatic. FWD with track can get you out of tricky situations where AWD without track may not [check model, I am sure this is the case with 99].

There is long list of positives to consider.

Salim
Old 05-23-06, 11:19 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Awesome info guys!!! Thanks!

I will be driving through a mixer of soft and compacted sand. I am more interested in the vehicle as a Utility Hauler and less of a Beach driver.

I found myself getting stuck Sunday in my SC300 in VERY soft but NOT deep sand (other similar cars had no problem getting through). This is an area of the beach that many people drive on in many different types of cars and trucks.

I'm not looking for something to go mudding or sand racing in, just something that will take me to the areas everyone else parks at.

I'm guessing the RX would have enough power to accomplish these little tasks.. Could be wrong though.
Old 05-23-06, 09:03 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a second vehicle for utility and beach purposes only.

I need a small SUV that I can pick stuff up with and also use to drive on the beach here in Corpus.
For beach and utility, you gotta get an open-top Jeep Wrangler.
Old 05-24-06, 05:39 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
For beach and utility, you gotta get an open-top Jeep Wrangler.

I can agree on the beach part, but I don't see much utility coming out of a Wrangler.... unless you call utility picking up babes on the beach
Old 05-24-06, 09:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I can agree on the beach part, but I don't see much utility coming out of a Wrangler.... unless you call utility picking up babes on the beach
You are catching on.

Seriously, you can remove the rear seat from the Wrangler. That'll give you a small pickup-like bed to haul all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-26-06, 05:42 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For luxurious utility, you can't beat the RX. It hauls a fair amount of stuff – so long as that doesn’t include 4 X 8 sheets of plywood or 8’ studs. I often hauled 2-400 lbs of gear on long trips - and felt no real change in the ride or handling. After years of driving 4X4 Suburbans, the RX was an equally rugged and dependable hauler, if a good deal smaller – and a great relief to my posterior.

My old '00 AWD RX was a faithful companion for extended road trips all over the US - including excursions to the beach. I drove it from High Island to Sabine Pass - a distance of over 40 miles through the Aransas Wildlife Refuge, literally on the beach, several times. Old highway 87 washed out several hurricanes ago, and was reduced to a few stretches of crumbling pavement. The last trip I made, the highway had washed out altogether, and I drove on the hard packed sand of the tidal flats and in the soft sand behind the barrier dunes - all the way to Sea Rim State Park at the mouth of the Sabine River.

I stayed in the tracks of a few other vehicles all the way; not knowing what surprises might lurk in the untested dunes beyond, and wanting to remain between the Gulf to the South of the track and the salt marshes to the North – just in case I got into trouble I’d at least be where others could find me. The RX never had a trace of a problem, even in the soft sand. I had installed the upsized 235-series Cross Terrains much earlier, and they were more than equal to the challenge. I probably would have run out of courage much earlier had the car been shod with the stock GY Integrities.

Be sure you have plenty of gas, and watch your engine temperature in really scorching weather - if you are in really soft sand, the engine is going to have to labor a bit. The A/C is easily up to the task of cooling the cabin - of course my RX was white, which helps. I had only the stock tint, and would recommend the front door windows be given the maximum allowable treatment. Llumar makes a matching mirror tint, I believe.

Most of the other vehicles I encountered on the way were 4WD pickups with high-flotation tires, dune buggies, and sand rails. From the dropped jaws, I believe their occupants were stunned to see a Lexus in "their" territory. We sure surprised a number of fishermen and beach bums who thought they had gotten away from civilization – not to mention the denizens of an impromptu nude beach who were as astounded to see us as we were to see them. A quick survey of 50 or so naked beachgoers reveals that the human body is a truly ugly thing – especially so when middle-aged and tanned to a wrinkled, leathery consistency.

As in any “soft-roading” adventure, if you take your time, get out and investigate unknown or un-traveled stretches, stay out of the really soft stuff, and check out what’s out of sight just over that dune you are climbing, take water, food and a good entrenching tool and a heavy tow strap, you’ll be just fine in the sand. The South Texas beaches, say from Mustang Island down to South Padre are much nicer – being farther from the outfall of the Mississippi, you don’t get the tons of driftwood and other trash down there that “Big Cruddy” delivers to our shores.

Enjoy!
Old 05-26-06, 10:37 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
For luxurious utility, you can't beat the RX. It hauls a fair amount of stuff – so long as that doesn’t include 4 X 8 sheets of plywood or 8’ studs. I often hauled 2-400 lbs of gear on long trips - and felt no real change in the ride or handling. After years of driving 4X4 Suburbans, the RX was an equally rugged and dependable hauler, if a good deal smaller – and a great relief to my posterior.

My old '00 AWD RX was a faithful companion for extended road trips all over the US - including excursions to the beach. I drove it from High Island to Sabine Pass - a distance of over 40 miles through the Aransas Wildlife Refuge, literally on the beach, several times. Old highway 87 washed out several hurricanes ago, and was reduced to a few stretches of crumbling pavement. The last trip I made, the highway had washed out altogether, and I drove on the hard packed sand of the tidal flats and in the soft sand behind the barrier dunes - all the way to Sea Rim State Park at the mouth of the Sabine River.

I stayed in the tracks of a few other vehicles all the way; not knowing what surprises might lurk in the untested dunes beyond, and wanting to remain between the Gulf to the South of the track and the salt marshes to the North – just in case I got into trouble I’d at least be where others could find me. The RX never had a trace of a problem, even in the soft sand. I had installed the upsized 235-series Cross Terrains much earlier, and they were more than equal to the challenge. I probably would have run out of courage much earlier had the car been shod with the stock GY Integrities.

Be sure you have plenty of gas, and watch your engine temperature in really scorching weather - if you are in really soft sand, the engine is going to have to labor a bit. The A/C is easily up to the task of cooling the cabin - of course my RX was white, which helps. I had only the stock tint, and would recommend the front door windows be given the maximum allowable treatment. Llumar makes a matching mirror tint, I believe.

Most of the other vehicles I encountered on the way were 4WD pickups with high-flotation tires, dune buggies, and sand rails. From the dropped jaws, I believe their occupants were stunned to see a Lexus in "their" territory. We sure surprised a number of fishermen and beach bums who thought they had gotten away from civilization – not to mention the denizens of an impromptu nude beach who were as astounded to see us as we were to see them. A quick survey of 50 or so naked beachgoers reveals that the human body is a truly ugly thing – especially so when middle-aged and tanned to a wrinkled, leathery consistency.

As in any “soft-roading” adventure, if you take your time, get out and investigate unknown or un-traveled stretches, stay out of the really soft stuff, and check out what’s out of sight just over that dune you are climbing, take water, food and a good entrenching tool and a heavy tow strap, you’ll be just fine in the sand. The South Texas beaches, say from Mustang Island down to South Padre are much nicer – being farther from the outfall of the Mississippi, you don’t get the tons of driftwood and other trash down there that “Big Cruddy” delivers to our shores.

Enjoy!
wow, that's an awesome writeup! Thanks!!! makes my decision easier and harder at the same time

You the man!