RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 10:35 AM
moya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter

I'm needing the part # to 2000 RX300 oil filter. The one I got is 90915-yzzd1, making sure that's correct. Thank's, MOYA
Old 05-29-06, 11:14 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one of the part numbers - that one will work. It's confusing because the part number changes based on where the filter is made, not which engines it fits.
Here's a longer answer about oil filter part numbers...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190313
Old 05-29-06, 12:52 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a quick question.
Is there any filter other than FRAM that have the rough grip thing on the end of the filter?
This will REALLY help with my next oil change since I can only untighten/tighten with my hand.

Would a oversized filter fit in the cramped area?

Is WIX/Napa better than Denso? I have access to them all.
Old 05-29-06, 01:11 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's tough, but I get a cap-style oil filter wrench on the Toyota filter with a ratchet on the old filter to get it off. You have to put the wrench on the filter first, and then put the ratchet on the wrench.

I don't think you'd get an oversized filter out of the engine compartment from above. From underneath maybe. It's a PITA to remove the bottom engine cover, though.

The Fram filter is the only one I've seen with the grippy stuff on the end.
Old 05-29-06, 01:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
I have a quick question.
Is there any filter other than FRAM that have the rough grip thing on the end of the filter?
This will REALLY help with my next oil change since I can only untighten/tighten with my hand.

Would a oversized filter fit in the cramped area?

Is WIX/Napa better than Denso? I have access to them all.
WIX/Napa aren't bad filters at all, but the Denso still comes out ahead there. I did consider at one time of using a Napa filter since I had not located K&N when I first came here and Toyota was just opening its doors.

I wouldn't try an oversized filter. My uncle and I looked at doing that we tought a longer filter might be possible, but not something wider.

The K&N filters really aren't that hard to put on since they have the nut on top.
Old 05-29-06, 02:30 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Talking about doing the filter from the top or the bottom.
I reversed the horn but I still have a hard time getting a good grip on the filter from above so I just when from the bottom(my neck hurts...sigh...)
I was looking at those cup size wrench, but I couldn't find one that fit properly on this filter. The one that fits is pretty loose so I do not think I could have loosen it with that tool.

I wish they can build a filter relocation kit. I'd buy that in a instance.
Old 05-29-06, 03:04 PM
moya
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rxdriver
That's one of the part numbers - that one will work. It's confusing because the part number changes based on where the filter is made, not which engines it fits.
Here's a longer answer about oil filter part numbers...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190313
Thank you for the link; it was very helpful. I picked up my filter at Toyota dealer today and they had the filter made in Thailand.
Old 05-29-06, 03:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I think Lexus put that filter in that location for an engineering reason.

Next time I do an oil change, I will do it from the top using the K&N filter (makes it easier to do it from the top) and show some photos.
Old 05-29-06, 05:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

During my last oil change (by a local Toyota dealer) the oil filter was replaced from the top. I noticed that there was some subsequent oil drippage to the garage floor. If you go in from the bottom, you naturally clean any oil drippage as you replace the bottom cover.
Old 05-29-06, 06:28 PM
wing0
Intermediate

If I were to do it, I'd still do it from the bottom...the 10 bolts are annoying, but it's just once in a while.
When I loosen the filter(took a WHILE and my hand hurt afterwards even tho I was using latex glove...next time....sandpaper or get a claw....rubberband sounds like an idea from I read...)
the oil were spilling on to the engine mount area. I just tape some towels onto a stick and went b/w the little hole in the exhaust manifold and dried it. Next time, i'm gonna get some rags and put it under the filter before i loosen it, that should make it even more clean.
Old 05-29-06, 10:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

tip:

Let the filter trickle drain [loosen enough] to get a trickle going.

Then go do something else for 15 minutes or so,

When you take the filter off in one go, the oil inside and in the presssure line splashes.

Salim
Old 05-30-06, 07:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I get drippage even when doing it from below. I just spray the area with a water hose and no problem. I find it useful (keeping the engine clean, thus less heat for better performance) to wash the engine bay periodically and underneath my RX by putting it up on a lift. A lot of road gunk and dirt gets into places (especially on those accessory belts by my lightweight pulley). All you need to do is cover up your fusebox and your battery with plastic.
Old 06-06-06, 05:47 PM
Flipchi97
Driver School Candidate

Default CAN"T TAKE OIL FILTER OUT

Hey Guys,

I have a Lexus IS 300 and I wasn't able to turn the Oil Filter at all. I picked up a Oil filter wrench, which fits on the oil filter, but I was unable to turn it.. as it's just not grabbing it and rounding the grooves on the oil filter. Is there another tool anyone can think of that I can use. I also think that this oil filter is the orginal one and is not the same one as the one I bought from the dealer recently that is made in Thailand... Therefore it's hard to pull off.. I tried with my hands.. but it doesn't budge... HELP!!!!!!!>
Old 06-06-06, 06:32 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipchi97
I wasn't able to turn the Oil Filter at all. ... HELP!!!!!!!>
I've read that a brute force way is to hammer a screwdriver through the old oil filter and use that screwdriver as a grip point to loosen the filter. There probably are better ways.... but if you get desperate you might try it.
Old 06-06-06, 08:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I've read that a brute force way is to hammer a screwdriver through the old oil filter and use that screwdriver as a grip point to loosen the filter. There probably are better ways.... but if you get desperate you might try it.
If you try this and are unsuccessful then you have to flat bed your vehicle to a garage. I might suggest taking the vehicle back to last place of filter change and ask them to loosen and hand tight the filter. The rubber gasket/O ring has very thin and should be hand tightened only.

Salim

Quick Reply: Oil filter