RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 12:20 PM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd do this in two~three steps (that's what I'm going to do to mine).

Step one, just a drain and re-fill. That will dilute the fluid in there by 50%+.

Step two, drain, drop pan, clean magnets, filter, and re-fill. That will dilute the old fluid down to 75%+ new fluid.

Step three'ish, one more drain and fill as you approach fall (w/o the filter change) and you'll be over 80% new fluid.

You can't get all the old fluid out unless you tear down the tranny and rebuild. But you want to get it as much as possible. Should be good to go for another 50K at least

Last edited by Broc; 03-09-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 02:51 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by maorsela
Lately when the car is cold here in Atlanta, it takes a few more rpm for my transmission to shift to 2nd to 3rd gear, i think it's time i do fluid change.

Scotty Kilmer did a video here on a 2002 RX300 (which is what I got):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nhSpJjYyE

Mine has 175,000 miles and I drive it 80mi daily to downtown Atlanta, and I drive like a maniac, so i better change the fluid.

He said 4 qts came out of his RX, so i assume he was working on the AWD, mine is the FWD and the manual shows 3.3 qts.

Should I bother with the trans filter? he said it's a metal mesh and no need to replace every time.
Only way your going to clean the magnets in the pan is to remove it......And why wouldn't you want to swap out the filter?
Old 03-09-20, 04:25 PM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you need to do a filter change at some point in this process ...
Old 05-29-20, 09:32 AM
CHUWANT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003, AWD, no power to drivetrain after adding Lucas Fix

I was meaning to do a drain and fill if not a flush, new filter, etc. but ended up adding a small amount of Lucas Transmission Fix Fluid to see what would happen. Tranny was solid besides minor slipping, fluid levels and eye-check of dipstick was clean looking.

15-20 mins after adding the Lucas additive, suddenly and no power to "drivetrain" (?). Parting my ignorance, but essentially:
  • There was power to the drivetrain(?). ItAIt was like being in Neutral or disengage and wouldn't move in R, D, 1, 2 at all. The engine still revs
  • The car rolls without any impedance when in Neutral
I have a hard believing that the tranny would have died so abruptly and out-of-nowhere had i not screwed around and added this Lucas compound. Could

Is there any chance i could be dealing with a repair short a 2000-3000 transmission replacement? Something that would justify me bothering to drop the pan and flush and check for things short of major labor? Or is that just a waste of time and money.

Perhaps something related to a filter, solenoid, or some form of clogging or distribution where the fluid isnt circulating properly or reaching parts of the tranny or drivetrain?

Car is undriveable and must be towed to any service garage. I just wonder if theres a potential reason why this Lucas Fix could have "caused" some thing to breakdown or break to explain no power to drivetrain.

​​
Old 04-12-21, 06:10 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

After my recent drain, filter change, and fill, mine (2001 with 219,000 miles and rebult trans around 150k) won't go forward ... drives great in reverse, but no forward gears (and lights on shifter don't light either ... other's do, but not D and 2). Is this a common solenoid issue? I watched the Youtube video where a guy worked on his grandmother's RX and said his issue was a stuck solenoid that released whatever was binding it when he rev'd it up to 6k rpm or so ... that didn't work for me. I notice there seem to be several transmission solenoids, but I have no idea which ONE to start with. Anyone with an idea(s)?
Old 04-13-21, 11:58 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RXstate
After my recent drain, filter change, and fill, mine (2001 with 219,000 miles and rebult trans around 150k) won't go forward ... drives great in reverse, but no forward gears (and lights on shifter don't light either ... other's do, but not D and 2). Is this a common solenoid issue? I watched the Youtube video where a guy worked on his grandmother's RX and said his issue was a stuck solenoid that released whatever was binding it when he rev'd it up to 6k rpm or so ... that didn't work for me. I notice there seem to be several transmission solenoids, but I have no idea which ONE to start with. Anyone with an idea(s)?
Can you clarify, was it working before the drain and fill? If so, did you get the fluid level right on the fill?
I can't think of any reason why this maintenance would lead to a failure. I don't think you could put the filter in wrong or something.
Did you disconnect anything while you were in there?

Pretty sure the gearshift only has one light bulb. The dash has separate bulbs for each gear position, and D is the most likely to fail of course.
Old 07-04-21, 05:16 PM
MZ1982
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Fluid

Hello I just bought a Lexus RX300 2003 AWD with 90,000 miles. I don’t know about the transmission fluid history. I checked and it has a dark purple (see attached picture). Usually when the car has high mileage they suggest not to touch it.
What should I do? Off course I will not do a flush. What about just drop the old and put some new one? Also, what do you think about the color it has now? It may looks more purple in real life than the picture
I would like to keep this car for a long time.

Old 07-04-21, 07:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I would go ahead and drain and fill with a few week spacing. Will slowly clean it up.
Old 07-28-21, 02:52 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

You would think I'd respond more quickly, but my life is hectic like your's likely is, too. The transmission has been slipping for sometime (my daughter had it at college about 2-1/2 hours away). Anyway, I got her an Xterra I rebuilt following a wreck and she returned the Lexus for me to rehab before selling. It's been a great car that 3 of my 4 kids used, but now I have too many cars and need to get this running so it'll sell better. I really don't know what they did to service the transmission, but I think they first added the wrong fluid. Somewhere I read that the transmission solenoids can go bad, but there seem to be several in the pan and I don't know which, if any, I should replace (there's a rebuilt kit of them on eBay so I was thinking of doing all). I also wonder if one could just be clogged and maybe just taking them out and washing them with transmission fluid would clear up the issue. Do you have any thoughts?
Old 07-29-21, 02:15 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The solenoids are in the valve assembly which can be dropped without taking out the whole tranny.

If you just want to test the solenoids, should be straightforward. Drop the pan, remove the filter and the assembly is there. not all the bolts you’ll see need to be removed to remove the valve assembly, would have to remind myself which ones are whoch so let me know if you want to know.

But - if you just want to test solenoids - after removal do NOT separate the upper from the lower assembly. There is a paper gasket in between that tears easily and was not easy to find a replacement.

Also, when you remove the assembly there are small metal ***** that serve as one-way flow check valves. They can drop out easily if held at the wrong angle. Take a picture when removed to have a record of location. On reassembly, there is also a spring tensioner that has to be depressed while remounting. Keeping that spring depressed while remounting was the key issue in that step.
Old 07-30-21, 02:28 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a picture of the bolts specific to removing the valve assembly.

Also - I remembered wrong. It wasn’t a spring tensioner but the anti-drain check valve with a spring underneath that had to be depressed on reassembly. I used a paint stir stick to keep it depressed while I raised the assembly back into place.

Last edited by bordenj66; 07-30-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-31-21, 11:41 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is some information if you want to repaint your factory Lexus radio faceplate, as they can get worn due to many button presses on the surrounding plastic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11097673
Old 12-10-22, 10:03 AM
wkp
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found out that AutoZone will take used ATF.
Old 12-10-22, 11:17 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Default Flush Vs. Drain/Filter/Fill

The dealer has always insisted that the only way to remove all the old ATF was to do flush with their special machine. Our vehicles are 2000 and 2001 around 200K and both have been "flushed" at least once but quite a while ago?

thx

bob
Old 01-09-23, 10:09 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Default To Flush or not to flush

Originally Posted by steelgtr
The dealer has always insisted that the only way to remove all the old ATF was to do flush with their special machine. Our vehicles are 2000 and 2001 around 200K and both have been "flushed" at least once but quite a while ago?

thx

bob

So, Is the dealer flush good, bad, or unnecessary ??

bob

Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change