RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 05:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me what you think

So we were travelling down the PA turnpike last night and hit a deer. The deer was fine, the Lexus was not. I must say I got a little upset because it was supposed to be my car and I just installed JDM foglights and a brand new bumper. But thats another story. The deer didnt crack the plastic shield but it did crack the black plastic housing. Any idea on the cost for this?
The bumper sustained a 2 inch hairline crack and a scrape. Now I think the bumper will be fine, especially since I see my mom in 1-3 years desiring a new Lexus. Has anyone replaced one themselves? I did my Subaru, I think I could do this one if need be.
Old 06-04-06, 06:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I am not sure what you are referring to on plastic shield and black plastic housing.

I got dings and scratches all over my bumper. Down here, we put a filler over the damaged areas and repaint. For something like that bumper, we would charge about $1,000 pesos, roughly $100 USD equivalent. In the U.S., it is more common to just replace the bumper and repaint.
Old 06-04-06, 08:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The black plastic housing is behind the lights. On the side that faces the engine it secures the bulbs. In later models it was changed to silver.

And yeah, we replace our bumpers. In this case though I really dont believe that its worth it.
Old 06-04-06, 08:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My senses tell me something like about 500 USD total, but labor is the unknown variable there. If I saw pictures, I might know more.
Old 06-04-06, 08:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Actually, I have to go out for a minute to the ATM (15 minutes) and I can take some pictures of mine with my digital camera and maybe you can point me in the right direction. Sounds good?
Old 06-04-06, 08:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This from my RX in the area I think you are describing, but still having somewhat of a time imagining the deer hitting the black housing but not the plastic front as it must have hit at a really odd angle.
Attached Thumbnails Tell me what you think-img_0661.jpg  
Old 06-05-06, 08:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Well the deer didnt hit the black housing, it hit the clear plastic shield. However the housing cracked all the way through and broke of the mount that secures it to the body. Personally I hate those little things. Both of em broke on my side markers in the Legacy. Poor design.
Old 06-05-06, 08:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the newer clear epoxy glues are impressive... You could mask and paint it black.
Old 06-05-06, 05:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tammy
Some of the newer clear epoxy glues are impressive... You could mask and paint it black.
Tammy,

Actually that is exactly what my uncle would do. I haven't had a broken one yet , but if I do I can show the process.

I still think less than $500 USD.
Old 06-05-06, 06:18 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Well the deer didnt hit the black housing, it hit the clear plastic shield. However the housing cracked all the way through and broke of the mount that secures it to the body. Personally I hate those little things. Both of em broke on my side markers in the Legacy. Poor design.

Is it deer season, anyone know?.. a pal of mine got into a fender bender w/ a deer too just recently. I dont know i guess thats what happens when you stay out in the country.. j/j
Cost to repair damage, 3300. bucks ouch!
Old 06-05-06, 08:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LayinLo
Is it deer season, anyone know?.. a pal of mine got into a fender bender w/ a deer too just recently. I dont know i guess thats what happens when you stay out in the country.. j/j
Cost to repair damage, 3300. bucks ouch!
We don't have any deers that I know of down here in Mexico (though will ask), but we have plenty of dogs all over the place and my uncle had a few hit dog stories tonight at dinner. When I described the damage to SLegacy 99's RX, he said that after looking at mine, it really is much more a parts thing than a repair and to key an eye on labor costs as the front bumper (and I have done this) takes me no mor than about 20 minutes max to remove, maybe less if I haven't had a Corona or two.
Old 06-05-06, 08:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I tried the apoxy on my Legacy. Didnt hold. Any specific brand that is exciting?
Old 06-05-06, 08:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I tried the apoxy on my Legacy. Didnt hold. Any specific brand that is exciting?
The brand my uncle uses is definitely Mexican, but will see if it has an American counterpart. May take a few days since I start a new job tomorrow.
Old 06-05-06, 09:00 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ah, good luck with the job then.

Had some tension here, apparently mom is very sensitive about who touches her car. Specifically me when I questioned whether or not it was worth replacing the bumper. Then she went on to insult my means of transportation. Shes just mad that my Subaru leather is in better shape than her's....not really enjoying living at home at the moment.
Old 06-05-06, 10:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The world ain't a perfect place. I never thought I would ever go to work in Mexico (came about due to September 11th job issues) nor that I would be here 4 years later, but hey it's cool.

A corner of my front bumper is touched up with a Sharpie and my rear bumper has a cut on it (not a crack, but a slight incision). I also get scratches on the side of my vehicle along with the occasional tic-tac-toe game (nobody ever seems to win). My uncle and I could fix those things in a jiffy down here, but both he and my father both agree that more scratches and imperfections will come and just to leave it alone. We all get cuts and scrapes in life and eventually they will heal.

Quick Reply: Tell me what you think