RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Weird Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06 | 02:47 PM
kevint
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Weird Noise...

I drive a 1999 RX-300. With the vehicle running there is a sound much like a loud hard drive being accessed repeatedly is heard at the passengers left foot. It operates at an in irregular interval, but it doesn't stop until the ignition is turned off. I thought it was the CD changer, but that's not it- I took it out, etc. I just noticed it a few days ago. Anyone happen to know off the top of their heads? I just had the 50k service done on Sat.
Old 06-20-06 | 03:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I usually hear that sound near my central console near the radio and it comes out of the air vents. I sometimes hear it and sometimes I do not and know it is related to the AC condenser, but until that thing goes on the fritz permanently, I do not plan on messing with it.

Not sure what might have caused that at the dealer during the 50K.
Old 06-26-06 | 02:34 PM
yoon
Driver

i have the exact same problem with mine. i will be taking apart the panels to see if i can find anything. i'll let you know if i do
Old 06-26-06 | 06:19 PM
zumiez83
Driver School Candidate

I have always wondered about that noise. Sounds like some kind of pipe (AC?), but I hear it when the AC isn't on...
Old 06-29-06 | 10:33 AM
93Cobra
Driver School Candidate

Mine has the same sound - I'm reasonablly sure that is has to do with the a/c. I suspect it's a blend door when the a/c is running. It DOES NOT do it when the heat is on. Prob. some type of electric/servo motor that is wanting to either close or open a valve, I'm guessing. Annoying as all getout, completely random when it does it (other than always when the a/c is on). I thought it was the CD changer as well, but it definitely is not.

Anyone dug into theres and figured it out yet?
Old 06-29-06 | 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

If one day, while driving over to my uncle´s on the weekend, I hear that noise again...my uncle and I will open it up and find that culript. Pretty accurate description, it does sound like a little door opening and closing.
Old 06-29-06 | 11:19 AM
93Cobra
Driver School Candidate

If it starts doing, immediately turn the climate control to 80° to kick the a/c off and the heat on. That way, you can confirm my theory that it is a/c related.

Been dreading tearing into it, but I'm guessing the glove box might be the easiest route. The old screwdrive to the ear trick might help pinpoint where it is coming from...
Old 07-01-06 | 12:15 AM
lexusrx300
Driver School Candidate

Weird, not sure if I've heard this one.
Old 07-05-06 | 03:15 AM
yoon
Driver

ok guys heres an update. this past weekned, i took my panels apart to try and look for the culprit. couldnt find anything. however, i had to replace my starter yesterday, and as soon as i did, the noise went away....
Old 07-05-06 | 05:41 AM
93Cobra
Driver School Candidate

I'll wager the sound will be back. NO way is it related to the starter, unless we are talking about two different sounds of course...
Old 07-05-06 | 06:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I´ll bet that it might come back. Starter is also related to electrical as is A/C, so I would not discount that there might be a correlation. Let´s just give a little time and see.
Old 07-05-06 | 12:06 PM
yoon
Driver

yea im not saying it went away completely, as i can still hear it very very faintly, almost to the point of where i have to actually look for the sound. but i was actually surprised that i didnt hear it right after i changed it... we'll see though
Old 07-12-06 | 06:21 AM
cyt
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem on my 99' RX300.
I just found a article. Maybe it can help to solve this problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...1/ac002l99.pdf
Old 07-12-06 | 07:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cyt
I have the same problem on my 99' RX300.
I just found a article. Maybe it can help to solve this problem.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...1/ac002l99.pdf
I had this problem you are mentioning due to an expanding plastic bracket that was holding this tube. I used some duct tape and plastic ties to to fix the issue.
Old 07-14-06 | 03:37 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93Cobra
Mine has the same sound - I'm reasonablly sure that is has to do with the a/c. I suspect it's a blend door when the a/c is running. It DOES NOT do it when the heat is on. Prob. some type of electric/servo motor that is wanting to either close or open a valve, I'm guessing. Annoying as all getout, completely random when it does it (other than always when the a/c is on). I thought it was the CD changer as well, but it definitely is not.

Anyone dug into theres and figured it out yet?

You are exactly correct. I have read on the forums that it is the electric servo motor that is running. The sound comes from the passenger side towards the glove box compartment area. Unfortunately, this is normal and can be heard if the radio is off the the car is pretty quiet.

Quick Reply: RX300 Weird Noise...