RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 05:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?

Nope,

Just a little accumulation similar to the photos that TunedRX300 showed. I had cleaned the pan out in January a few days after I set my 1/4 mile record.

Today, I merely cleaned out the pan, magnets and the filter, which we will see in the next few photos.
Attached Thumbnails Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?-img_0673.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 05:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

A shot after cleaning it up.
Attached Thumbnails Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?-img_0676.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 05:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Here is the first shot of the filter/strainer...kind of a hard cloth like material. I washed it out with water and attempted to 'pan for gold' and found nothing. I let it dry and then we put it back in. This one is about 1.5 years old.
Attached Thumbnails Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?-img_0677.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 05:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Another shot...still a little bit wet. The warpage you see was not caused by the water, but was there when I first examined it. My uncle told me not to worry about it either and we can replace it when I eventually get the other filter.
Attached Thumbnails Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?-img_0680.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 05:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

After removing the pan and the filter/strainer, this is the view on the bottom of the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?-img_0681.jpg  
Old 07-01-06, 08:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good pictures Lexmex, I really like the last pix. I noticed your ATF has more of a cherry color than mine in the Transmission Photo DIY thread

I understand color is an inaccurate measurement of the and effectiveness and condition of ATF, but looks like Toyota T-IV, which many believed to be re-branded Mobil 3309, is OK.
Old 07-01-06, 09:53 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I understand color is an inaccurate measurement of the and effectiveness and condition of ATF, .
Really. ATF fluid should stay cherry red, as mine has always been (Toyota Type IV only.) Feel free to experiment with cheaper fluid to save a few bucks. If the chocolate color isn't enough warning what else can be?

Cheers.
Old 07-01-06, 10:23 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Really. ATF fluid should stay cherry red, as mine has always been (Toyota Type IV only.) Feel free to experiment with cheaper fluid to save a few bucks. If the chocolate color isn't enough warning what else can be?
Cheers.
Well, it is a crude way to measure vicosity and additives effectiveness. Similiar to tell the size of an iceberg but just looking at the tip. Change of color could be caused by physical or chemical break down of the fluid, or it could be dye losing its original color due to usage and exposure to heat.
Toyota is not an oil company, it is not necessary to make every fluid themselves. It is well know that Toyota never bothered even branding a gear oil of its own, a member used to be Lexus part manager posted that Toyota sells an aftermarket gear oil in its parts department.

Here is a link that is very interesting. It is an official Mazda TSB.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/tsb/aisinwarner.pdf
Apparently, Mazda's new 6 sedan transmission is designed by a new supplier, Aisin Warner, the same supplier of many Toyota's trannies. Because Mazda's own ATF does not work with Aisin Warner transmissions, it actually recommends Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309.
Here is one Japanese automaker recommending multiple competitors' ATF and an "aftermarket" ATF to its new 6 sedan. Apparently Mobil's 3309 is not really a cheap aftermarket, it is more or less "OEM" ATF, just allows automakers to rebrand them, or share so many common physical and chemical properties that Mazda can issue this TSB and be liability for any associated warranty claims.
I am sure a lot of people will just buy Toyota branded products and really could care less about the value, but there are also people who want the best product for the $ to go into the car. There is no right or wrong, but I just happen to the later type.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-01-06 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Mobil also makes the Toyota 'brand' nonsynthetic 5W30 oil as I picked some up yesterday at Toyota Satelite (best Toyota dealer in Mexico that I know of in my opinion) for a car my uncle was working on. They also interestingly had the Mobil 1 ATF, but I was delighted to know after a short period of talking to the service manager there, that they also knew it made a great PSF fluid and they almost never use it for transmissions except for non-Toyota vehicles that sometimes come in.

P.S. Track has been closed for two days due to rain
Old 07-03-06, 08:20 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Change of color could be caused by physical or chemical break down of the fluid, or it could be dye losing its original color due to usage and exposure to heat.
Incorrect. Change of color (to chocolate color according to your previous post) is a sign of severe oxidation of the fluid. It is the obvious sign that the fluid used isn't up to the task. Consider Toyota Type IV or equivalent.

While Toyota tranny may be durable enough to tolerate second rate snake fluid, it does not run in the optimum condition.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-06, 08:25 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
They also interestingly had the Mobil 1 ATF, but I was delighted to know after a short period of talking to the service manager there, that they also knew it made a great PSF fluid and they almost never use it for transmissions except for non-Toyota vehicles that sometimes come in.

P.S. Track has been closed for two days due to rain
Interesting note about the Mobil 1 ATF. Hope the track will dry up soon. It's been bone dry in Colorado until yesterday... my hood got 2.5" of rain in just two hours, whoohoo!
Old 07-03-06, 10:12 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Incorrect. Change of color (to chocolate color according to your previous post) is a sign of severe oxidation of the fluid. It is the obvious sign that the fluid used isn't up to the task. Consider Toyota Type IV or equivalent.

While Toyota tranny may be durable enough to tolerate second rate snake fluid, it does not run in the optimum condition.

Cheers.
Do you know that Toyota branded engine oil was outsourced to Mobil, the same "snake oil" manufacturing company that make Mobil ATF 3309?
Mazda's official TSB proved Mobil ATF 3309 is 1) Aisin Warner spec complying 2) a good ATF that Mazda uses without fearing warranty liability.
BTW, the reason Mazda also official approves ATF from Toyota, Ford, GM, and Volvo's ATF is because they are all made by Aisin Warner, which Toyota has a 30% controlling interest.
Now, the very oil that you called a snake oil can very well be the original factory fill that is in your transmission.
Old 07-03-06, 11:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Do you know that Toyota branded engine oil was outsourced to Mobil, the same "snake oil" manufacturing company that make Mobil ATF 3309?
Mobil makes quality fluid. The snake oil is the Amsoil that you put into your tranny (a.k.a. your chocolate syrup.)

Fortunately most people know not to put questionable products into their vehicles.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 07-03-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 06:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I´ve put plenty of questionable products in my vehicle, then again I like being a guinea pig.

Not too long ago, I put 116 octane Sunoco racing gas in my RX (not for racing since you need timing adjustment) but just to clean out everything. Really nice and the RX ran much better after that.
Old 07-04-06, 08:11 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Mobil makes quality fluid. The snake oil is the Amsoil that you put into your tranny (a.k.a. your chocolate syrup.)

Fortunately most people know not to put questionable products into their vehicles.
Again, you makes assumption before you post. That chocolate colored ATF is none other than OEM Toyota T-IV. I have done two drain and fill with OEM (oops Mobil) fluid before I fed up with paying $5 a quart for a marked up Mobil product. I switched Amsoil, no shift problem and in fact my tranny has not a single problem.
I think someone is so blind to Toyota brand that "choose" not to see.

Quick Reply: Were there porcupines in Lexmex's tranny?