RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Does EVERY RX300 have that mirror tint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 10:00 AM
mesmerize
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does EVERY RX300 have that mirror tint?

I've looked at other threads but couldn't find a definitive answer...
Does every RX300 from 1999-2003 have that greenish mirror tint? I've been in love with the RX for years, but right now I'm also looking at the Acura MDX and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. The only thing I hate about RXs is that tint, I'm super picky about little things like that. However, I could've sworn that I've seen RXs that didn't appear to have that mirrory look... was it just an illusion or what?

Thanks,
Sara
Old 07-05-06, 05:44 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the US Dept. of Transportation approved the mirrored tint for the RX300 rear windows, but later concluded that they shouldn't have approved it. Thus, the RX330 and other later models don't have it.
Old 07-05-06, 06:49 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the crap green tint on my 99 rx. the previous owners even matched the back windows crap green tint to the front windows.
Old 07-05-06, 08:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the US Dept. of Transportation approved the mirrored tint for the RX300 rear windows, but later concluded that they shouldn't have approved it. Thus, the RX330 and other later models don't have it.
You are absolutely right.

During a 'safety inspection' roadblock in Florida, I actually got stopped for it...until I pointed to another RX and he let me go.
Old 07-05-06, 08:50 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

ah, yes...the wonderful green mirror coat on the rear windows. so bold, yet so unrefined. I am confident that it took TOYOTA (who engineered the 300's...and their windows) more time to develop that mirror tint then it did to produce the truck. TOYOTA employees spent their days and nights mixing the right formula for the tint...a formula that can only be matched by hard working tint guys, not lazy ones.

I was recently given my grandfather's 2000 rx300 with about 50k on it...yes, that's nothing...I mean, he had to change the battery once because of the lack of use. So anyway...down here in Florida, it's hot, and it's sunny, and the coating on the rear windows was very useful in keeping the rear of my car hidden from the rest of the world. It didn't really help keep the heat out. So, what did I do? I tinted over the glass, since all it was was a coating...so now i have barely legal limit tint all the way around...with a very cool green/black/mirror tint thingy going on on my rear windows.
Old 07-05-06, 11:14 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, all RX300s have the green mirror tint. It is actually against DOT rule to have reflective tint, but the inspector screwed up so it was allowed. I personally love the tint with my white RX300, but I know that it does not look good with other colors, such as blue and black.

Actually, it was Nissan that first used the tint in its '96 Pathfinder. Toyota followed suit with the '97 Harrier. Later the Harrier was imported to U.S. in 1998 ('99 model year) as the RX300.
Old 07-06-06, 03:29 AM
yoon
Driver

Originally Posted by miniround
ah, yes...the wonderful green mirror coat on the rear windows. so bold, yet so unrefined. I am confident that it took TOYOTA (who engineered the 300's...and their windows) more time to develop that mirror tint then it did to produce the truck. TOYOTA employees spent their days and nights mixing the right formula for the tint...a formula that can only be matched by hard working tint guys, not lazy ones.

I was recently given my grandfather's 2000 rx300 with about 50k on it...yes, that's nothing...I mean, he had to change the battery once because of the lack of use. So anyway...down here in Florida, it's hot, and it's sunny, and the coating on the rear windows was very useful in keeping the rear of my car hidden from the rest of the world. It didn't really help keep the heat out. So, what did I do? I tinted over the glass, since all it was was a coating...so now i have barely legal limit tint all the way around...with a very cool green/black/mirror tint thingy going on on my rear windows.
do you have pictures of your car? i actually saw one the other day with black tint all around, but did not have a chance to talk to the owner. I'm looking to tint mine black all around. thanks
Old 07-06-06, 09:47 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yoon
do you have pictures of your car? i actually saw one the other day with black tint all around, but did not have a chance to talk to the owner. I'm looking to tint mine black all around. thanks
YOON...i do not currently have any pics of my car...I am in Paris right now on "business". haha...

first you need to tell me what color your truck is...if it's not white, black, or bordeax, the tint's going to look awkward.
but if you have that mirror tint and you want to also tint the front windows, make sure that the tint is charcoal, not black...if you tint black on the rear windows 1. you will not be able to see anything out your back windows at night and 2. the mirror coat behind a black tint sucks in a lot of heat, and that completely erases the point of having a tint
Old 07-06-06, 12:25 PM
yoon
Driver

Originally Posted by miniround
YOON...i do not currently have any pics of my car...I am in Paris right now on "business". haha...

first you need to tell me what color your truck is...if it's not white, black, or bordeax, the tint's going to look awkward.
but if you have that mirror tint and you want to also tint the front windows, make sure that the tint is charcoal, not black...if you tint black on the rear windows 1. you will not be able to see anything out your back windows at night and 2. the mirror coat behind a black tint sucks in a lot of heat, and that completely erases the point of having a tint
lol on "business" my car is white, and the one i saw it one was silver. i was thinking of getting true grey all around, but we'll see. hopefully, i can go talk to my tint guy this weekend. if i end up getting it, i'll post up pics
Old 10-22-06, 03:07 AM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

wait, so if i went to go get all the windows tinted, would the old tint effect the new black tint I would want to get? Because I'd like to get the windows as black as legally possible, would the mineral green effect this?
Old 10-22-06, 06:45 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the window green-tint mirror look on the green car I have!
I believe it also blocks a lot of heat, of course no window tine will stop it all. Do this test on a sunny day - put the window half up and hold the back of your hand in the full sun area where the light comes in just over the window, feel the heat - now move your hand down in the shadow of the window, on my car there is a very noticeable difference and it is much cooler behind the window shadow. Try this on both the front and rear windows.

Last edited by parula; 10-22-06 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 06:56 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone listed tint limits for States in 2004 at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...dow+tint+infra
Old 01-13-07, 11:02 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So does anybody have pics of what the windows will look like if tinted dark? Will it make the green show up even more? So miniround, you tinted over yours? Like on the outside? Can you show some pics?
Old 01-13-07, 11:38 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I accidently scraped off a small piece of the tint from a rear side window, so I guess the tint could be scraped off the inside of the windows if you really wanted it off.
Old 01-13-07, 01:49 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That would be a problem for the windows with the defrosters.

Quick Reply: Does EVERY RX300 have that mirror tint?