RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Question About Brake Grease

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 11:52 AM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question About Brake Grease

My first brake job was a success. I replaced my wife's brake pads on her RX 300. Thanks to SALIM for a very helpful DIY thread. I have one remaining question though. I need to replace my RX 330's brake pads next weekend. The Akebono ceramic pads arrived. I ordered these ones with shims this time. The front metal plates came with peel off adhesives and the rear metal plates are already glued to the back of the pads. They also came with packets of brake grease. Now, this is my question: Where do I apply the grease, since the plates are either glued to the back of the pads or have peel off adhesives on them?

Thanks for any reply.
Old 07-16-06, 02:19 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake grease is used on the caliper bolts. Never put grease anywhere on the brake pads themselves. Some "shadetree" mechanics don't put new grease on the bolts. Grease allows for a better "feel" and also allows the caliper/brake pads to move as they were designed to do so. Another benefit is increased brake pad life. It is all part of doing the job correctly and understanding how the system works.
Old 07-16-06, 02:33 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might find this document helpful...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
br00300.pdf (161.4 KB, 341 views)
Old 07-16-06, 04:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,070 Likes on 963 Posts

Tamy's posted link is excellent.

The purpose of the grease is to minimise metal <- to -> metal contact sound.

Also use the grease very sparingly as the grease is a magnet for dust and brake-pad-powder.

Salim
Old 07-16-06, 04:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXMICK
My first brake job was a success. I replaced my wife's brake pads on her RX 300. Thanks to SALIM for a very helpful DIY thread. I have one remaining question though. I need to replace my RX 330's brake pads next weekend. The Akebono ceramic pads arrived. I ordered these ones with shims this time. The front metal plates came with peel off adhesives and the rear metal plates are already glued to the back of the pads. They also came with packets of brake grease. Now, this is my question: Where do I apply the grease, since the plates are either glued to the back of the pads or have peel off adhesives on them?

Thanks for any reply.
I installed Akebono ceramic pads on both front and rear, the grease can be also applied at the back of the shims so it will dampen the noise generated.
The Lexus OEM pads clicking is a well known problem, I don't have it, but I know people who owns previous generation Avalon and has the same clunk problem. Fortunately for you and me, no one uses Akebono every reports any clunking or clicking problem.
Old 07-16-06, 05:59 PM
LEXMICK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent Info Tammy!! This Is Very Helpful.