RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Fluid level adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 02:31 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid level adjustment

I did a transmission fluid drain and refill last week. Has anybody figured how many ounces to add for each 0.1 inches down on the dipstick (or metric equivalent)? The CL instructions did say to measure what came out, but I didn't follow that part well enough.

I did just the one drain plug and a little under a gallon came out. I'm tempted to repeat again every year (11,000 mi) or two (22,000 mi). Once I find out the exact amount that drains, it should be the same year to year.
Old 08-17-06, 12:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

The only relevant topic I could find in the manual was in Volume 1 DI-163, but it gave no specific indication as to what mark meant how much was in there. My uncle wanted to add that the hot mark on dipsticks in different vehicles reflect different levels.

The only thing show is that between the notches surrounding either side of the word HOT, that if you are before the H to add fluid up to the end of the T.

I can tell you from experience, I am beyond the T and closer to where the IV on Type IV is. Had it there for a long time and no ill effects (but of course I would not recommend this).

I guess what I could do next time I drain and fill is check the level before adding anything and after each liter added so we can measure.
Old 08-17-06, 04:59 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiosity, which plug did you remove for less than a gallon drain? The pan only?

Why not drain the other one?

Last edited by Tammy; 08-17-06 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 12:29 PM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
Just out of curiosity, which plug did you remove for less than a gallon drain? The pan only?
Why not drain the other one?
The pan only. They were both on very tightly and with my "L"-shaped 10mm tool I couldn't loosen the other one.
Old 08-17-06, 01:09 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Thanks... I understand. Your getting most of it drained though !

Sometimes you have to raise the left front wheel slightly to get the swing room.

I believe the space between the marks indicates about a pint of fluid, rather than a quart.
Old 08-19-06, 02:34 PM
efuji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the owner's manual for my 2000 AWD RX300 indicates that no change of transmission fluid is required unless you have special operating circumstances, I note that the normally dark red fluid is dark greay and almost black so I drained it from the one pan drain screw (using a 10 mm allen wrench). I will replace the drained fluid with approximately 4 quarts of the Lexus type 4 fluid. The dealer here in Tucson charged me over $11/quart which seems somewhat excessive. The dealer would charge $350 for a fluid change and flush which also seems excessive. I am looking for alternate sources for the Lexus Fluid and ideas on how to get a flush and fluid change for less than $350. BTW, the dealer recommends a minor change of transmission fluid every 15,000 miles with a complete flush every 30,000 miles. The minor change would cost half the cost of the complete flush.
Old 08-19-06, 03:35 PM
bob2200
Driver

I've read several threads here in the past that indicate that you should only do drain and refills if the fluid is already dark (i.e., no flushes).

You can get the Toyota type T-IV ATF fluid at any Toyota dealer. I paid $4.38/qt at mine and I think $1.67 for the aluminum crush washer.

If you can't find a Toyota dealer to do the job, I'd see if you can find a local gas station mechanic to do the job while you watch (Assuming you can't find a Lexus dealer who charges rational prices). It's not rocket science. I think it is easier than doing an oil change (e.g., less chance of stripping threads, no oil filter to remove and install). Note that the almost 4 quarts was without draining the front differential (just the transmission pan -- horizontal drain plug).

Note that my owners manual says to check the ATF fluid color every 30,000 mi and to change the fluid if it darkens in color. This must not have been done in your case.
Old 08-19-06, 07:37 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

"Desert Toyota" $5 plus the tax.

Drain and fill it three times over 500 miles. Open the transaxle plug also.
Old 08-20-06, 04:17 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
Open the transaxle plug also.

Tammy, do you mean the front transfer case?

The transfer case uses gear oil not Toyota T-IV
Old 08-20-06, 05:54 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

No ...

The transfer case is a different unit, and yes it drains and fills gear oil, not Type IV transmission fluid.

Just to the rear of the transmission fill drain plug is an additional 10mm hex plug for the "trans axle", which shares the transmission fluid as a two wheel drive does. This plug removes horizontally.
Old 08-21-06, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Do drain that front differential...do not just drain with the tranny plug. I have seen several vehicles at my uncle´s shop that afte draining the tranny, the fluid that comes out of the front differential is a little darker. I have not seen that yet with my drain and fills, but I am little bit more religious on this.
Old 08-21-06, 11:22 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Do drain that front differential...do not just drain with the tranny plug. I have seen several vehicles at my uncle´s shop that afte draining the tranny, the fluid that comes out of the front differential is a little darker. I have not seen that yet with my drain and fills, but I am little bit more religious on this.
Lexmex,
when you refer to front differential, you mean the TRANSFER CASE right? which uses gear oil not T-IV

Wouldn't want anyone draining the wrong thing and driving away with an empty transfer case which co-incidentally is very costly to replace.

Hey LEXMEX,
maybe a pic is in order!
Old 08-21-06, 11:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fern

Lexmex,
when you refer to front differential, you mean the TRANSFER CASE right? which uses gear oil not T-IV

Wouldn't want anyone draining the wrong thing and driving away with an empty transfer case which co-incidentally is very costly to replace.

Hey LEXMEX,
maybe a pic is in order!
Front differential is the one on the left with the tranny pan on the right. Those of you with FWD do not need to worry about transfer case or rear differential.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid level adjustment-difftran.jpg  
Old 08-21-06, 11:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

For the transfer case on AWDs.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid level adjustment-transfercasefill1a.jpg  
Old 08-21-06, 11:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

A close look and notice the wording.

Granted, I agree it can get confusing as I hear different terms used, just like air-fuel sensor and O2. But pictures do help Good idea Fern.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid level adjustment-transfercasefill1b.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid level adjustment