RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Should I buy an 02/03 RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06 | 07:35 AM
My 1st SUV
Driver School Candidate

Default Should I buy an 02/03 RX300?

Greetings from West Coast Canada.

My wife is planning to sell her sedan and trade up to a compact SUV.

We were looking at both the new Toyota RAV4 (I'm a long time Toyota owner) and the new Honda CRV-EXL. The RAV4 4 cyclinder was just not enough power and the V6 was a bit too much for her.

Although the RX330 is too long for her, the RX300 is just the right length and of course more luxurious.

We are debating whether to buy a new RAV4/CRV or a used RX300. I figure the budget is about the same for a 2002 or 2003 RX300. She plans to keep the SUV for a long time.

Some points we are considering are warranty, life expectancy, and future repair/maintenance cost differences between RAV4 and RX300. My guess is that there is not too much difference as both are built in Japan by the same mother company.

I'm guessing that as the 3 or 4 year leases come up this year and next year, there should be more choice and better pricing on the 02/03.

Finally is it worth getting a certified lexus. What is the extra cost compared to a non certified one.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by My 1st SUV; 09-06-06 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-06 | 07:59 AM
bob2200
Driver

The maintenance costs on the RX300 will be higher, particularly if you take it to a Lexus dealer. And, there is the potential of some shockingly high prices if the transmission or engine needs major work. Also, be sure to check out the wide turning radius of the RX300. This was fixed in the RX330.

On the other hand, the RX300 is a great car/SUV. I find it really comfortable and everything is there, in the right place. You get spoiled by the automatic climate controls, auto-dimming rearview mirrors, compass, etc. I plan on doing a lot of the maintenance myself, with help from ClubLexus pictoral instructions, and don't think routine maintenance is more difficult than on a Toyota.
Old 09-06-06 | 08:17 AM
EasyRyder
Driver School Candidate

My wife to be just purchased an 03 RX300 Coach Edition and she loves it! Stepping up from an 06 Pontiac G6 (or Gsux as we called it) was a BIG difference. As far as maintenance, the only experiences ive had with Toyota/Lexus was the timing belt and of course regular maintenance.

I recently took it on a road trip to Detroit from Chicago and the car practically drives itself. We both love it, which now has me in the market for a Lexus.
Old 09-06-06 | 08:48 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Default Welcome to CL, My 1st!

All of your selections are great vehicles, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They represent to me the finest small SUVs available - even though some other offerings from Japan and Korea are coming on strong. The V6 - in the RX or RAV4 would certainly be a plus in snow country, where low speed torque would prevail over all-out performance. In any case, opt for the AWD.

The RX is a bit larger vehicle, and having owned both versions, the slightly shorter wheelbase of the 300 will give you a bit less rear seat legroom and a slightly choppier ride than the more luxurious 330, but it will still be more comfortable than either the CRV or the RAV4. To me, there is a trade off, the 330 being, according to my personal butt dyno, a bit more stiffly sprung - at least on 18" wheels where tire compliance comes out of the equation.

The RX gives you a good bit more space, if that's a consideration, and is a fine highway cruiser. It IS a Lexus, with all of the luxury touches that can spoil you very quickly for practically any "lesser" vehicle. Fit and finish are up to Toyota's high standard, but Lexus raises the bar on tactile impressions of luxury throughout the interior of the car. Your wife will appreciate that.

As bob mentioned, maintenance costs, if performed by a dealer will be somewhat higher, but on big items, it's worth it. If the fix doesn't work, you have a place to go to complain. Because of the expense of a major failure, consider getting an extended warranty on the engine, transmission, drive train, and possibly the climate control system, if available. The later model 300s had no major problems, most of the "oil gelling" problems with the 3-liter engine having been worked out by the end of '00. Look specifically at the struts and brake rotors before purchase, and especially check the rear main seal of the engine (where it meets the transmission) is not leaking, as these can be fairly costly repairs if needed.

An "off lease" car can be a real bargain - I just purchased my leased 330 for about $10K under the price of similar vehicles on the dealer's lot - but that was because I'd "prepaid" much of the real cost down in the lease. Local tax laws no longer make leasing the incentive it once was, thus I'm back into outright ownership. Most leased vehicles have the advantage of regular and documented maintenance, making your selection process a bit easier, too.

CPO vehicles tend to vary a bit in price, with your individual market. The benefit is not so much the extended warranty (you can buy that for less through a specialty company - it is, after all, just an insurance policy), but the inspection and selection process the vehicle has undergone by Lexus to qualify. Compare the price of a local CPO to a conventional extended warranty plan.

Good luck with your purchase! Come back often and tell us about it . . .
Old 09-06-06 | 09:08 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Originally Posted by EasyRyder
I recently took it on a road trip to Detroit from Chicago and the car practically drives itself. We both love it, which now has me in the market for a Lexus.
Welcome EasyRyder! Your experience is typical of RX owners who have taken the plunge. I took my 300 on a 6800-mile working vacation a few weeks after delivery - brave (foolish) soul that I am. In the Western US, Lexus shops were few and far between in '00, and I got a lot of stares. I rolled up on the 5K oil change in Seattle - and the local dealer in Redmond (1-bay shop) couldn't work me in for a week. I called my dealer and asked what to do - and he said don't worry, have a nice trip, see you when you get home . . . I did just that.

You're right, the RX is an ideal tourer - plenty of room for a couple and a LOT of luggage, or even a small family with reasonable cargo space. The ride is pretty close to perfection out on the slab, and the smooth silent comfort makes a long day behind the wheel easy. An outstanding standard stereo/CD lets you insert your own soundtrack into the experience, while large windows provide a fine view of the passing scenery without making you feel trapped.

It is nimble enough to negotiate secondary roads without drama, although you have to be aware of that GIANT turning radius in the 300. Prepare for a few 3 and 5-point turns when changing direction or parking at the mall. My Suburbans took less room to turn, even the 3/4-ton 4X4s. The 330 fixed this nicely. While the RX will never be confused with a sports car, for an SUV, it's surprisingly agile.

Enjoy!!
Old 09-06-06 | 09:14 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Hi, I was doing the same camparision when purchaseing my first Lexus. I was comparing new Highlander to 3 yr old Rx300. Mine is sports edition, after driving for 2yrs now I am glad to say I made the right choice, I love my Rx300, the smooth drive, the luxury inside, great shape, no problems since owning it (only changed oil & brake pads). It is 5 yrs old but I intend keeping it for much longer. I did drive CRV found it had less power and small not that great looking, the new RAV4 is great looking but personally I don't the spare tire at the back.
Lexus Rx300
Old 09-06-06 | 09:55 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

I would get the 2002 Rx300 since its identical to the 2003 and you might get a better price.

The Rx is hands down a better vehicle over the others you described.

Have fun test driving them all thou
Old 09-06-06 | 10:14 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

I too had a similar choice to make a couple months back. I wanted to spend somewhere around $350 a month with a couple grand down. So my choices were to lease a RAV4, CR-V, Mazda CX-7 OR buy a used RX300, Murano, Acura MDX.

We drove all of the above. We liked the styling of the Lexus inside and out and thought it had the nicest ride, too. The RAV4, CRV and CX7 seemed like economy cars compared to the RX300. Leave the new car smell and huge depreciation for somebody else and go with the RX300!
Old 09-06-06 | 11:28 AM
artaquio
Driver School Candidate

Go for it.
I own a RX300 after owning a IS200 manual six speed (I live in Europe).
I also have a MB A-Class.
I always use the RX300.
Maintanance expenses? The car is really reliable, like all Lexus and Toyotas, incredible ride comfort, luxury touch...
If you don't mind to buy a used car, no doubt if you find a nice one.
Old 09-06-06 | 02:10 PM
Racerx0911
Pole Position

we have a 02 rx 300...my mom will not get rid of it for anything...she loves that car...as maintaince goes...as long as you do the services and oil changes on time...your good to go for a long time...our RX has 68K on the odo...bought it new and never have we had a problem...seems like it will go for another 200K miles
if i was you i would def narrow it down to the RX or the MDX
Old 09-06-06 | 08:48 PM
My 1st SUV
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for all your insights. We are leaning towards getting the 02/03 Lexus. It seems to me the only real risk is that if we buy used, we don't know how well or how bad the previous owner may have treated it. And whether there were any accidents that don't get reported. Hopefully when I bring it to a Lexus to do an inspection (if its a non CPO), they can uncover most things.
Old 09-08-06 | 07:00 PM
Canuck
Driver School Candidate

Angry Transmission gone again - another $4000

A Toyota rebuilt transmission I put in one year ago has gone again. Over $4000 - I also had the timing belt and oil pump replaced totalling over $7000.

The car is great if you don't have to depend on it getting you anywhere and you have very deep pockets. I wish I had never seen this lemon.

Avoid buying a used RX300 at any price and get rid of it as soon as you can,just before the warranty runs out.

Very few miles in the past year (on rebuilt). Tranny oil changed due to metal filings. Lexus din't want to honour warranty because "they've been having trouble with those transmissions".
Old 09-11-06 | 04:08 PM
parula
Instructor

I have an '03 and no problems other than the drooping visors, really a pretty great car. Try to get Lexus service records for the car if you don't buy a cert.Lex. I'd pay for the cert. and want to see prior service records or I wouldn't buy, jmo.
Old 09-13-06 | 05:28 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

I also have an '03 and it' s been rock-solid - not one single problem. Since I no longer need an SUV-class vehicle, I'm getting ready to trade it in on an '07 GS350. But I miss it already.

As mentioned by bob2200, the poor turning radius is the biggest drawback. You'll find yourself parking way out at the edge of lots where you have plenty of room, because squeezing in to that one open space close up will often prove impossible. There are some blind spots (especially low and behind - solved by the backup camera on the RX330) and the gas mileage isn't great. You'll get 20 on the highway on a good day.

But the positives greatly outweigh these minor issues. You'll love the RX300.
Old 09-13-06 | 06:06 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by RandalR
You'll get 20 on the highway on a good day.
That's not my experience. I got all upset when my mileage on the highway dropped to 23mpg or less. After a round of several fuel additives on a 1,000 mile trip, it went back up to 26-27mpg (loaded car) after about 750 miles and has stayed there.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an 02/03 RX300?