RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 12:45 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrax
I'm taking my "new to me" 2000 RX300 into the shop next tuesday to get the rotors machined and the pads replaced (50% left) to eliminate a horrrrrrrid sqeal/grinding noise when you do slow speed breaking.

Most notable the other day when in a parking garage waiting in line to exit the facility. Sounded like someone was chasing me scratching fingernails down a chalkboard. *shudder*

This is after I had the breaks apart (at the shop) and cleaned/lubed up. This is going to set me back about $300.
Now are your rotors and pads OEM parts?

This will be our first brake job of any kind since buying the car from new. We've have 56k miles on it and never had a sqeak or anything. The only reason I want to replace the rotor rather than have them machines is because we're experiencing a lot of underbraking. Quite a bit of vibration, expecially on hard stops.
Old 09-13-06, 05:12 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brake Pad Clicking Noise... Technical Service Information Bulletin

Where to grease the pads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
br003l00.pdf (60.0 KB, 847 views)
Old 09-13-06, 05:21 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Thats good to know, but since my Rx is a 2002 is this clicking noise still and issue. The TSB report said Lexus 1990-2000.
Old 09-13-06, 05:52 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Streetbeatcustoms has the best price for Rotora rotors, no tax, free shipping over $100. Here is a link for RX300
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rot...us-rx-300.html
Correction - the price for RX300 is higher than my memory serves. But if you are not in a hurry, subscribe to their email list and you will get promotional discount. I paid $157.79 shipped for two front slotted and e-coated rotors last year for my Acura with $20 off.
If you are not into slotted rotors, you can go for Brembo blank (only front axle application) or OEM as Tammy posted above.
I went with Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads from www.rockauto.com, they have the best price and only place to have both front and rear application.
Tuned, did you have to order a shim-kit(set) separately or does the Akebono pads come with them?
Old 09-13-06, 06:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Tuned, did you have to order a shim-kit(set) separately or does the Akebono pads come with them?
Akebono includes shims and high temperature noise supression grease with pads. Shims are made with thin metal plates that have self adhesive surface on one side, real easy to put them on.
Old 09-13-06, 07:39 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Now are your rotors and pads OEM parts?

This will be our first brake job of any kind since buying the car from new. We've have 56k miles on it and never had a sqeak or anything. The only reason I want to replace the rotor rather than have them machines is because we're experiencing a lot of underbraking. Quite a bit of vibration, expecially on hard stops.
I would imagine that they are OEM Rotors, not sure about the pads, probably. It's got 79,500 miles on it. The breaks do not shudder, shake at all. There is a bit of squeaking during breaking, but the squeal/nails on a chalkboard sound is only apparent when you are doing extremely slow speed breaking. Say only when you are in drive, take your foot off the break and begin rolling at a couple miles per hour. When you gently apply the break is when the grinding noise is apparent.
Old 09-13-06, 08:39 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Akebono includes shims and high temperature noise supression grease with pads. Shims are made with thin metal plates that have self adhesive surface on one side, real easy to put them on.
Thanks again dude..
Old 09-14-06, 06:59 PM
hitthepin
Driver

After making some calls, I took TunedRx's suggestion and went with the Rotora's and Akebono combination. Thanks for all the help. I'll post how the job went when all the parts get here.

..and if anyone is in the market for new brakes here are the exact part numbers. I hope its not against any forum rules to list part numbers.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/

Rotora Lexus Rx 300 Awd 98-03 Slotted Rotor; Front
Part #: Y002_ROT168440880-NY

Rotora Lexus Rx 300 Awd 98-03 Slotted Rotor; Rear
Part #: Y000_ROT168440890-NY

www.rockauto.com

AKEBONO Part # ACT325
Rear - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad {OE Ceramic}

AKEBONO Part # ACT930
Front - ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad {OE Ceramic}
Old 09-17-06, 06:57 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice, post some pictures and let us know how it turned out
Old 09-18-06, 09:21 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Will do when they get it all arrives.
Old 09-18-06, 09:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't changed the pads on my RX yet ('99 with 70K and still on original pads) because I drive a lot of highway, but from my previous cars ('95 Civic, '98 Accord, '92 Integra) the caliper should flip up just by removing the lower caliper bolt. Basically, the caliper would pivot on the top bolt so that you don't actually remove the whole caliper off the rotor. I don't know if the RX is designed this way, but it would save you some time.

You'll need a C-clamp to 'push' that caliper piston back into the caliper so that when the new pads are on, there will be enough clearance for the caliper to slide back on.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-06, 05:25 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To replace the pads, the caliper half pivots up on the upper bolt.

To replace the rotors, the entire caliper is removed and mounted to the side, relieving the strain on the brake hose.
Old 09-19-06, 08:36 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Well, my rig is in the shop now... hopefully this will be the end of the horrrrid squeal/grinding that i've been experiencing.

*crosses fingers*
Old 09-20-06, 03:47 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

holy smokes, what an improvement!
Old 09-25-06, 08:33 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, i want to replace the rotors and pads on my 99 RX300 as well, but i want to make sure i understand all this. so please correct me if im wrong... removing the front rotors is straight forward. remove the pads, then the caliper and bang the rotor a little bit and it should come off, correct?? but the rear is a little harder... u need to remove the ENTIRE caliper (with pads in it) and then remove the rotor?? what other details should i consider with the rear b/c im confused about the whole spring thing thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.