RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: Has the transmission on your 1999 RX300 failed?
My transmission has not failed to date
78.85%
My transmission failed under warranty - Lexus paid repair
3.85%
My transmission failed out of warranty- I paid repairs
15.38%
My transmission failed out of warranty- Lexus paid repair (goodwill)
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 12:05 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by meo
How do I file complaint with Lexus??
Call lexus USA (customer service department 1-800-255-3987) and advise them of the nature of the problem. It would make a big difference if you have copies of the old service records where specifically the trani was serviced.

All my service was done at either Lexus or Toyota, when I received their response on my 2 year out of warranty claim, they indicated the reason for them considering partial payment was due to my brand loyalty and service history.

It will be interesting to note the nature of your particular failure as mine was #1 & #2 thrust washers missaligned due to broken peice.

You will have to be persistant, I certainly was. The claims rep will contact the dealership where the problem was diagnosed and ask the following:
1- could the customer have prevented the problem?
2- did the customer do anything to contribute to the problem?

If the anwer is no, you have a good fight.
Use the arguement that "beyond the regular service that the vehicle requires, the customer is at the mercy of the quality of their product."

Good Luck.

Last edited by Fern; 01-08-07 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 12:49 PM
meo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seem like I am out of luck.

Most of my service is done not by Lexus or Toyota. I had my tune-up done not by Lexus or Toyota either.

I took my car to AAMCO Transmissions and they are looking at now.

There any chance/hope I have with Lexus?
Old 01-08-07, 12:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by meo
Seem like I am out of luck.

Most of my service is done not by Lexus or Toyota. I had my tune-up done not by Lexus or Toyota either.

I took my car to AAMCO Transmissions and they are looking at now.

There any chance/hope I have with Lexus?
If I recall this correctly, AAMCO was the one working with Lexus on the remanufacturered trannies they were giving people the option of getting in place of a new tranny.

Fern, can tell you better about your question, as I have not had the experience.
Old 01-08-07, 05:16 PM
Alan Paton
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Falure

My 1999 RX300 AWD Transmission let go at 112,000. I have it at a transmission shop now. Cost to rebuild is $3800 and $4600 for a rebuilt one. I call Lexus and they said it is past warranty and there are no recalls. Is there any way to get any assistant from Lexus?
Has anyone else had problems with their RX300 transmissions?

Originally Posted by Fern
Please post your experience on the poll as I am getting various mixed opinions on the failure rate of these trani's.

My particular vehicle came with an extended warranty (no longer in effect) and was maintained religiously by myself and previous owner (records in car).
Here's a link by an independant consumer advocate company which has found problems with the camry trani (U140E). click on Toyota:
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=23

I find it completely unacceptable that my Lexus happened to have a mechanical failure of an internal trani component while in my hands, specifically at 137,000 km which is well below the norm for wear and tear.

Please post your experience, which will be shared by other forum members
Old 01-12-07, 10:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

My friend just had theirs done for $2000. I think your mechanic is pushing the price up. By the way the tranny cooler is in my 99 also but is blocked by the washer bottle for air flow. Poor design as far as I can see. I have added an transmission filter (external) and change the fluid every 15k miles. Remember their is a drain plug on the transfer case right behind the transmission pan also. you will discover very dirty fluid in the area. It fills by the transmission fluid. Probably doesnt have very good circulation to this area. on another site one gentleman feels that lexus increased the tranny pump flow to get better cooling on the 2001. But who knows. Good luck and dont forget to file those complaints.
Old 01-12-07, 10:42 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I am against most of these warranties, but in the case of AWD RX300 99 or 2000 I would get the warranty if you can, It will pay for itself soon. It is not a matter of not failing, but when. I am on another site and I have been colllecting failure info from participants. My list grows every month. Lexus is not willing to step up to the plate and or tell us what they did in the 2001 to change the failure rate. The Tranny is apparently constantly trying to search for a lower gear to conserve fuel, and the clutches and gears dont like it. Also their is a possibility of not enough pump pressure to circulate the fluid to keep it cool enough. All just theories \\\,but Lexus absolutely will not admit fault. That is why the RX330 is drive by wire and the tranny hesitates to compensate for the earlier problems in reliablitliy in the RX300. Constant fluid changes will probably help extend the life of the transmission. I have added an external filter and change fluid at 15kmiles. I am on my third transmission, the second one was defective from Lexus. I intend on adding a cooling fan to the external cooler for summer use since the air flow is so poor where it is located. common in side the wheel well with no cross ventelation, who designed that? Any way good luck everyone. Remember to drop the pan and change the filter and also drop the plug out of the transaxle behind the tranny pan to get as much old fluid as possible out.
Should be around 4.5 quarts total for a drain and fill. I dont suggest flushing as you will have a failure shortly after. Seems to move the metal debris into the valve body and cause disasters.
Old 04-07-07, 09:24 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

so as of today, 21 percent of the trannys are failing with the poll results, how sad that Toyota reliablility has a 21 percent failure of transmission on a $40k automobile, many while under warranty.
Old 04-07-07, 10:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

This is not a true random sampling, so to infer 21% failure rate is incorrect.

Salim
Old 04-08-07, 08:27 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Yes, I understand, but of the participants of this poll the numbers are as they are. That is why polls are so poor, because everyone doesnt participate.
Old 11-21-07, 09:59 AM
tlsmikey
Driver School Candidate

No tranny failure here, but we did get a "Shift Solenoid E" failure last week. I replaced the $200 solenoid and changed fluid again. All seems well so far. Car has 120k miles on it with tranny fluid changes every 30k. Last change I switched over to Redline compatible fluid.
Old 11-21-07, 11:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tlsmikey
No tranny failure here, but we did get a "Shift Solenoid E" failure last week. I replaced the $200 solenoid and changed fluid again. All seems well so far. Car has 120k miles on it with tranny fluid changes every 30k. Last change I switched over to Redline compatible fluid.
Very interesting, which one of the Redline ATFs by chance did you switch over to?

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=8

They sell some Redline products down here, but very expensive except for WaterWetter, some 10W40 Redline I was going to try as a test would have ended up costing me $24 USD a quart, so I'll stick with Castrol 0W30
Old 11-21-07, 11:31 AM
tlsmikey
Driver School Candidate

I'll check when I get home but I had to actually call their tech line to see if they had one that was compatible. They did, but my local store that carries their stuff had to order it. Cost was around $8/qt US.
Old 11-23-07, 02:46 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

90k miles. Second owner with previous records. AWD-- No problems.
Old 11-23-07, 09:12 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Is there a link for a "how to" on dropping the pan, cleaning it, and cleaning the filter? If so please post. Thanks!

Scott
Old 11-25-07, 07:41 PM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

2002 rx300 with 65,000 miles, no problem

Quick Reply: Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll