RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Any recent buyers can share price info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 09:18 AM
RND1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recent buyers can share price info?

Hi - I'm considering an '01 RX300 AWD with 70K miles on it. Owner is asking $16K for it and claims to have serviced it according to recommended intervals. CARFAX is clean. I'm wondering what others are paying for this model year and mileage? Should I pay to have Lexus do a prepurchase inspection?

Also, I like the woodgrain steering wheel - is that an option in '01?

Last edited by RND1; 09-21-06 at 09:20 AM. Reason: model type
Old 09-21-06, 10:02 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Would you further describe the condition of the interior/exterior a bit. Also, was the service done by a Lexus dealer or by the owner himself/herself? With a record of timely service by a dealer and the interior/exterior kept in great condition, I wouldn't be too concerned over the car's mechanical condition [just my personal philosophy].

I have a '02 RX300 and the wooden steering wheel was, as I recall, likely part of an options package. It certainly wasn't standard equipment. I prefer the leather steering wheel myself, since it doesn't heat in the sun as much and has more padding.
Old 09-21-06, 10:23 AM
RND1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
Would you further describe the condition of the interior/exterior a bit. Also, was the service done by a Lexus dealer or by the owner himself/herself? With a record of timely service by a dealer and the interior/exterior kept in great condition, I wouldn't be too concerned over the car's mechanical condition [just my personal philosophy].

I have a '02 RX300 and the wooden steering wheel was, as I recall, likely part of an options package. It certainly wasn't standard equipment. I prefer the leather steering wheel myself, since it doesn't heat in the sun as much and has more padding.
Well, I haven't actually seen it yet. Owner claims its in excellent condition, original owner. One fender was replaced due to someone backing into it in the driveway so there's been some paintwork. Other than that, she claims its been the best car she's owned. I've asked where it was serviced, but haven't heard back yet. Given this info, what do you think its worth?
Old 09-21-06, 11:57 AM
Vegas300
Driver School Candidate

Default Price Range

Well, just a quick search shows without any bells and whistles (i.e. moonroof, custom wheels, navigation, etc.) that here are the most commonly used value references:

With the info you supplied:
Kelly Blue Book - $17,250 (approx.)
Edmunds - - $16,995 (approx.)

Now if you just use those numbers as a reference and not hard numbers you can look up all similar RX's in your area (Mass. in this case?) on cars.com.

Here's the link to that list. It consists of 26 RX's for sale within 100 miles of Boston that are '01's with mileage ranging from 29K-103K. You can use this as a scale for what you are willing to pay for the one you're looking at.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fs_sea...l&aff=national

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-06, 12:09 PM
RND1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vegas300
Well, just a quick search shows without any bells and whistles (i.e. moonroof, custom wheels, navigation, etc.) that here are the most commonly used value references:

With the info you supplied:
Kelly Blue Book - $17,250 (approx.)
Edmunds - - $16,995 (approx.)

Now if you just use those numbers as a reference and not hard numbers you can look up all similar RX's in your area (Mass. in this case?) on cars.com.

Good Luck!
Thanks Vegas300. It looks like you're a recent buyer - mind sharing what you paid at auction? Any other recent buyers willing to share what they paid with details such as mileage, condition, options, etc.? Thanks.
Old 09-21-06, 01:08 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All the body panels originally had the vehicle's serial number attached, including the steel body reinforcement behind the front and rear bumpers.

The service documentation is critical. There was an expensive service procedure at 30K and 60K miles, when coolant, brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid should have been replaced. The AWD rear differential and front transfer case gear oil should have been exchanged.

The weaker areas of the engine are "lack of oil changes" creating sludge in the engine . Changes should have been 5K to 7.5K mile intervals... documented by oil purchase receipts at least. If not, have Lexus remove the valve cover and or oil pan to inspect for sludge in the engine. (Lexus will warranty repairs)

The other is the AWD transmission. The fluid should be drain and filled at 15K mile intervals, at the most... starting at 30K miles. (thats at 30K, 45K, 60K and when due at 75K miles) If the fluid is original or black in color, you may want to pass on the expense of the transmission replacement. The fluid used is Toyota Type IV ... purchased only at a dealer.

In any case, have Lexus, Toyota or a trusted mechanic check the four pairs of CV joint boots on the axle drive shafts for tears or grease leakage. At the same time, inspect the brake pads and rotors for excessive wear, if they are original.

Insure there are no oil leaks at the seam hole between the engine and transmission, indicating a rear main oil seal leak.

This should take the surprises to a minimum. Good luck with your prospects
Old 09-21-06, 08:36 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

I got a 2000 RX 300 with 79k miles on it in great condition w/ moonroof for $14k about 2 weeks ago. Private party purchase.
Old 09-22-06, 06:23 AM
RND1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Andrax
I got a 2000 RX 300 with 79k miles on it in great condition w/ moonroof for $14k about 2 weeks ago. Private party purchase.
Thanks - seems like the one I'm looking at is in the ballpark then. What's your first impressions? Does yours need any work?
Old 09-22-06, 08:58 AM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

NP. My first impression is that I love this car and that I should have picked one up a long time ago. I've been a huge BMW guy pretty much since I got my license as a kid. Don't get me wrong, I still love to drive BMW's but it seems like soooo much under the hood is engineered to fail I got fed up with that mentality and the dent it put in my pocket book.

Anyway, I love my lexus. My wife loves my lexus, it rides wonderfully and is just an all around sweet ride. I have had some work done to it... I took it into a third party shop that is very reputable and had them do a post purchase inspection. They checked all the fluids and went over the car from head to toe. We ended up doing a AT flush/refil and will be doing the complete 90k mile service and timing belt replacement once I hit 90k. I was having a bit of break grinding and had them check the breaks which they cleaned and lubed etc to try to elminate the noise. Pad wear was at 50%.

Unfortunately, that didn't resolve my slow speed breaking noise/grind so it went back in this past tuesday to have the rotors machined and pads replaced. Now it's all better.

All in all i've probably put just under $700 in service into it since I got it for the partial 60/90k mile service, oil service, break service (including machined and pad replacement) and the like.

This doesn't include the several hundred dollars that I've put into getting Lexus All Weather floor mats, Husky Cargo Liner, Lexus Leather Care products, Lexus license plate covers, touch up paint etc etc.

All in all I am still very pleased with the purchase and I am expecting to be in the market for a new, or CPO RX 400h this time next year.
Old 09-22-06, 10:38 AM
Leonardo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got my 1999 primium model (AWD, Nakamichi, sunroof, leather) with about 85K milles for $10,500
Old 09-22-06, 11:32 AM
RND1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Andrax
NP. My first impression is that I love this car and that I should have picked one up a long time ago. I've been a huge BMW guy pretty much since I got my license as a kid. Don't get me wrong, I still love to drive BMW's but it seems like soooo much under the hood is engineered to fail I got fed up with that mentality and the dent it put in my pocket book.
Funny you should mention that, I am looking for an RX300 to replace my '99 BMW 540i6. I love the way the 540i drives and I enjoy the 6 speed manual, but I think it has a self destruct mechanism built in at 100K. To give you an idea, in the last 12 months I've had to replace the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, power steering pump, starter, secondary air pump, MAF sensor, ABS control module, and wheel sensors!!! All of that with only 104K miles on it! I hope Lexus will be a welcome change.
Old 09-22-06, 04:15 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

How does one identify if your RX does or does not have the Nakamichi setup? Tweeters in the top of the dash? If so, i'm there.

I did forget to point out that mine is also the AWD. I didn't know you could get an RX300 without leather... i've never seen one without.

RND1, I feel your pain. The other thing that always killed me about the older BMW's is how inadequate the cooling system was in the middle of a hot summer. You get stuck in traffic and can just watch the temp guage start to inch well past the midpoint towards "HOT".