RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 05:44 AM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonator?

I know the RX has a muffler, and then it also has a resonator. I know the resanator doesn't restrict air flow at all, but I'm wondering for sound issues. I'm planning on doing a custom exhaust, because no one sells pre made ones for the RX. How would it sound if I took off the stock muffler, and replaced the resanator with a Magnaflow muffler? Would that just be really loud and obnoxious? Also planning on getting a High Flow Cat.
Old 10-25-06, 05:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
I know the RX has a muffler, and then it also has a resonator. I know the resanator doesn't restrict air flow at all, but I'm wondering for sound issues. I'm planning on doing a custom exhaust, because no one sells pre made ones for the RX. How would it sound if I took off the stock muffler, and replaced the resanator with a Magnaflow muffler? Would that just be really loud and obnoxious? Also planning on getting a High Flow Cat.
Good question.

I once did something very similar. I removed the stock resonator and replaced it with an APC muffler. Then it was just a straight tube out the back with a muffler tip. Rumbled a lot. I also had the High Flow Cat at the time.

I would think a smaller resonator would help and have the Magnaflow on the back.

My biggest issue with the OEM resonator was the weight. That thing must have been like 25 to 30 pounds or more.
Old 10-25-06, 10:49 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
Resonator uses reflective nature of the sound wave to cancel noise. But exhaust gas will slow down because it enters a chamber that is larger in volume than the room inside the exhaust pipe.
Lexmex is right that RX will rumble and replace OEM with shorter one will give you a slight gain with slight increase of noise level.
I would pick the 22" resonator in stainless steel to match with a SS Mangaflow cat, then some pipes with the same diameter. OEM resonator is integrated with the cat and the exhaust pipe to the mufflers. If you change one, might as well just change everything.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 10-25-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 01:36 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always been interested in doing a full modification to the exhaust as you appear to want to do...but instead i bought a 25$ muffler tip from Advanced Auto Parts (you can see it in one of my other posts).

I think that it keeps my RX classy. I mean, obviously it doesnt rumble like an exhaust, and until you pass 3000rpm, it doesnt really make a sound. But man, once you pass 3k rpm it just gets really loud and sounds like a fine italian sportscar.

Haha, like i could be sitting behind some old granny that can't see over the steering wheel, let along hear at all...and i press that Power button and tap the gas to let it downshift, then just punch it right round her...and i look back and 9/10 times they look confused . It's quite entertaining.

So...if you're not looking to race your RX or make it sound like one of those ****ty pickups with fake dual exhausts , i'd try a muffler tip.

All i ever wanted was a loud car...but after driving my friends really really really souped up civic i've realized that its nice to be able to hear music too, not just the exhuast.

-ajk
Old 10-25-06, 03:39 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Actually a well setup exhaust system usually have a deeper sound at low RPM, noise dB level actually can be lower than OEM's at high RPM due to better flow.
Old 10-25-06, 08:03 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't want it to be too loud. I'm not looking for all noise, but then again, i want some. I heard it with the stock resanator on, and the muffler off, and it really wasn't very loud at all. So, you're saying I should get a smaller 22" resanator, with the Magnaflow High Flow Cat, and then a bigger magnaflow muffler, to go in place of the OEM one? I just want to make sure I got it all right...
Old 10-25-06, 08:30 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Mufflers you can easily find aftermarket since it is a bolt on part. The section that has to be custom made is from the cat to the flange that bolt onto flanges of the muffler. OEM integrated the cat, resonator, and the exhaust pipe into one piece. That is why if you wish to change any part, you have to cut it off. Might as well keep the OEM piece for backup and custom made a mid section with better material.
Magnaflow 22" is the biggest resonator I can find and should be the quietest, I would pick 2.25" or 2.5" pipe and appropriate sized Magnaflow catalytic convertor (make sure the A/F sensor hole is in the same location as OEM), two flanges and two hangers, and have your mufflershop to custom bent pipe and TIG weld everything together.

SS should give you lighter weight than cast steel, bigger pipe and high flow cat give you gain at high RPM, you should also get slightly louder but deeper sound at low RPM.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 10-25-06 at 08:53 PM.