RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

few issues with my new used rx

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 01:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Legazus
Thank you guys for all your help. Dealer called to let me know that car's key is finally here. Can I back off from this deal or it's too late. He already charged my credit card for 160$. Buying one from E bay seems like a good idea. Could replacing bank 1 sensor 1 alone help fix both p1135/p1155 codes? Or I need to replace bank 2 sensor 1 as well.
I think I'll go with Michelin CT tires. Do you think I should wait until I figure out what's else I might need to do for this car prior to this move? Thanks

Give your parts counter a call and ask them. Most places charge a 10% re-stocking fee. Now if the key has been cut, then they can not resell it.

Salim
Old 10-30-06, 05:27 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The P1155 does call out Bank 2, sensor 1.

You may need to replace them both ...

First, check the A/F heater fuse, fuse number 19, 25 amp, under the hood ...
Attached Thumbnails few issues with my new used rx-af-o2-sensor-1.jpg  

Last edited by Tammy; 10-30-06 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 02:58 PM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
To help folks not get lost in key discussion.

1. Blank Key:
Key that is not been cut (milled). Not all lock smiths are equipped to duplicate Lexus keys.

2. Personalized key:
Key that has been cut to match the tumblers in the key slots. There are 2 front side doors, ignition, rear-hatch, glove-compartment equivalent.
Master key: Can operate all locks.
Valet key: Can not operate the glove_compartment [also applies to trunk if seperate (sedans) and lever release lock from inside]
Wallet key: Flat key to fit in your wallet. Used to only operate the key locks and did not have the electronics.

3. Electronics: This module can be moved from one key to another.
a) remote ... needs to be matched up with the vehicle. **
b) imobilizer ... needs to be programmed with the ECU [not sure but after certain number of keys have been registered, ecu needs to be replaced]

** If your vehicle receives similar lock /unlock command via remote, the remote system is disabled. YOU WILL NEED your personalized key to unlock. You alos need the personalized key to operate the ignition.

As you buy or plan to buy keys, keep the above facts in mind.

Salim
I am having hard time programing the new master key to start up the car. It can do everything but this fxn. I even managed to program the remote entry first time.. I followed the steps exactly as stated in many threads in this forum. The security flash starts flashing prematurely as soon as I remove the pre-programed master key and before I insert the new one. Any help?
Old 11-01-06, 10:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

look here for the proramming
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/72242-successful-key-transponder-programming.html

Salim
Old 11-02-06, 03:04 AM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Well.. I did follow the instructions in that link but no response. The moment I remove the master key, the security system start flashing before I insert the new one. Any way I will try again today. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before.
Old 11-04-06, 10:16 AM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

I finally managed to program the master key. After trying everything, I finally thought of pressing the parking brake pedal all the way in then follow the key programing steps. It worked first time. Couldn't find this step/requirement anywhere in all the links/threads I checked.
Old 11-11-06, 08:12 AM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on my car issues

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Legazus,

I will be more than happy to help you on those codes or any other issues you may have.

When I bought my RX300 (used) it also came with one key and I also remember incurring that cost.

Keep us up to date as to what is happening on a day-by-day basis and if necessary you can send me a PM on any issue you have.
Took my car to Firstone c/o poor gas mileage (city 12.8/highway 13.8) and did the following:

1/ Fuel injection system flush $90
2/ TRansmission fluid flush $80
3/ Radiator system flush and replaced 2 radiator hoses $250
4/ For codes 1135/1155. I only replaced banker 1/sensor 1 A/F sensor with Denzo ( didn't replaced bank 2, sensor 1) and CEL disappeared. Dirven over 200 m without CEL issues so far. Part $170/ labor $45
5/ They believed my front and rear brake pads and rotors were bad. So replaced for $530
6/ Brake fluid flush $45
7/ Allignment service $60
Prices reflect 20% discount except brakes and sensor work e no discount

I also replaced tires at costco michelin cross terrain $598

Now I am getting even worse MPG. 12.1 for city and 13.4 for highway. I am keeping tire PSI at 30. I am thinking of adding techron and go up in gas from 87 to 89. Any advice to how I could improve MPG or should I just give up and live with it. Thanks
Old 11-11-06, 08:45 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, that mileage indicates to me that something is definitely not right.

I'm not that experienced on gasoline engines (most of my driving experience has been with a diesel car), but I would think that a tailpipe probe would show some unburned gas/strange emissions results with that kind of mileage. I don't think a shift in octane is the solution. The rpm should normally not go above 2,500 (at least that's the case with the way I drive). Are you checking the mpg manually, to confirm the computer's indication?
Old 11-11-06, 08:52 AM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Yes.. I am checking the MPG manually and it's the same. Idling when engine cold 1200 RPM, after some driving goes down to 800 RPM.
Old 11-11-06, 09:25 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An additional consideration is to insure the "Mass Air Flow" MAF sensor is clean and operational.

"CRC" makes a special cleaner designed for this electronic component, available at auto parts stores.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno...v2&id=152&c=11

Lastly, there is the O2 sensor for bank 2, next to the radiator cooling fans.
Old 11-11-06, 10:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Two things I can also use the clean the MAF, electrical contacts cleaners and the stuff one can use to clean things like computer keyboards (which I am using now). No issues, works just fine.

bob2200 is absolutely right. A tailpipe or gas analysis would be really useful. My exahust shop Hangar 1 has one of these and I routinely check it to make sure everything is okay. It can also be useful to for telling if one might pass or fail emissions (I actually would pass despite my exhaust).

Ever take a look at your air filter? After opening countless air boxes with my uncle on various cars, I am always amazed how dirty and clogged these thins get. Changing them out with a new one can make a good difference.

I had a Caravan I was driving recently to work and I changed its filter out to a K&N and I noticed a good difference. Now, we have had the K&N oil/MAF discussion, but I won't get into that again.
Old 11-12-06, 04:24 PM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for all your help. I will make sure I get tailpipe probe or gas analysis done, clean the MAF or replace it depending on its condition, and replace the Air filter with K&N filter. I will keep you posted.

Please let me know if there's anything else that could improve this poor MPG. I really appreciate your help. This site has been very informative for me. Thanks
Old 11-12-06, 05:38 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whether or not you use a K&N air filter is a matter of opinion/debate. I'd suggest using the normal Toyota/Lexus OEM air filter.
Old 11-12-06, 06:37 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
Yeah, don't panic and stop throwing money at it until you get a handle on the best way to proceed. There are some truly knowledgeable people here who are kind enough to share their experience.
Quite possibly the two most brilliant sentences I have ever read in my life. Well said.
Old 11-13-06, 11:51 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

I recently had a bad injector on my RX and after replacing my injector I went from 10mpg to 19mpg. You will proably want to pay lexus to diagnose the problem. it may save you from throwing uneeded parts at your car. and remember just beause they diagnose the problem doesn't mean they have to replace the parts.

After replcing my injector I found that the increse in fuel going through the exhaust burned up my Air/fuel Sensors and O2 sensor. So I've replaced these which Lexus didn't find in the diagnostics. I've also replaced the Mass Air Meter but wish I would have tried cleaning it first after reading everyone's coments.

Just ask lots of questions. These guys here are pretty smart!

Quick Reply: few issues with my new used rx