RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

few issues with my new used rx

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 04:40 PM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few issues with my new used rx

Hi everyone.. I am new to the post. I was at an auction shopping for an ordinary used car to buy through a dealer friend of mine when I saw this RX 99 AWD with 80k miles on it. I was so happy that I got a good deal and a good car. I didn't realize what I got myself into until I went to a lexus dealer to get an extra key since I got only 1 key with the car. They charged me 260$! (I thought it'd cost me few bucks). They added that I need to have it programmed for about 70$ which I haven't done yet. I forget to mention that the check engine light came on when I replaced the battery the day I went to pick up the car. Did a diagnostic for 85$ at firestone ( I just realized from reading few posts at this board that I could have had it done for free at autzone!). Codes were p1135 and p1155. Dealer said he has to run his own diagnostic which cost 100$ in order to replace/do anywork. Wouldn't give any estime saying he is not sure what the problem is until he check the car. To me car looks and feel great. However, I noticed that it has poor MPG. I am also thinking of buying new tires to be prepared for snow time. Any suggestions? I don't have any record for this car, what options it has or what it's capable of doing/giving. I am waiting for a driver manual to arrive. How can I make sure this car is safe? What do I need to do to improve gas mileage? Any Cool "Hidden" features about the RX that are not very obvious I need to know about? Thanks
Old 10-29-06, 05:06 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Air fuel O2 sensor, bank 1,sensor 1, is suggested for replacement

Recommend Denso replacement.

Is the down pipe cracked at the accordion bend?

The RX and ES engines were the same in 1999-2001

Search for O2 sensor replacement tips ...
Old 10-29-06, 06:57 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

yikes, you should have come here first. you could get the key for $80 and then program it yourself for free.

The o2 sensor is going to be expensive, even more expensive if you have Lexus do it. Like $300 for the sensor and about that to replace it.

The bad MPG is normal if its around 17 MPG on the AWD.

Best tires are the Michillen Cross Terrains for about $500.
Old 10-29-06, 07:34 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Yeah, don't panic and stop throwing money at it until you get a handle on the best way to proceed. There are some truly knowledgeable people here who are kind enough to share their experience.
Old 10-29-06, 08:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Legazus,

I will be more than happy to help you on those codes or any other issues you may have.

When I bought my RX300 (used) it also came with one key and I also remember incurring that cost.

Keep us up to date as to what is happening on a day-by-day basis and if necessary you can send me a PM on any issue you have.
Old 10-29-06, 10:31 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

Where can you get a key for 80? Best price i've found was like $140. Are you talking about the Valet key, not the remote entry key?
Old 10-30-06, 01:41 AM
amiricon
Driver School Candidate

Hey man if you need a key I can help you. I JUST bought an RX 300 on Friday and I got like 3 remote keys and 1 valet key. I can sell you one for $80 no problem. Let me know if you're interested. Also, I noticed that my 2wd drive 2001 RX 300 with 72k does only 16.3 mpg. What do I do to get it higher? Let me know, thanks.
Old 10-30-06, 04:49 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I got a master remote on eBay for 37.00 delivered, just search RX300 key and about a hundred will pop up. The one on the left is the eBay key, the center one is from the dealer and the valet on the right is what came with the car.

I had ordered then canceled the dealer key because I found cheap ones on eBay but they cut and sent me the key by mistake and were kind enough to let me keep it. Because I didn't have a master they had to reprogram my ECU which cost 208 so I ended up spending about 245 for these three keys.

Last edited by Carver; 10-30-06 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 08:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

To help folks not get lost in key discussion.

1. Blank Key:
Key that is not been cut (milled). Not all lock smiths are equipped to duplicate Lexus keys.

2. Personalized key:
Key that has been cut to match the tumblers in the key slots. There are 2 front side doors, ignition, rear-hatch, glove-compartment equivalent.
Master key: Can operate all locks.
Valet key: Can not operate the glove_compartment [also applies to trunk if seperate (sedans) and lever release lock from inside]
Wallet key: Flat key to fit in your wallet. Used to only operate the key locks and did not have the electronics.

3. Electronics: This module can be moved from one key to another.
a) remote ... needs to be matched up with the vehicle. **
b) imobilizer ... needs to be programmed with the ECU [not sure but after certain number of keys have been registered, ecu needs to be replaced]

** If your vehicle receives similar lock /unlock command via remote, the remote system is disabled. YOU WILL NEED your personalized key to unlock. You alos need the personalized key to operate the ignition.

As you buy or plan to buy keys, keep the above facts in mind.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-30-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 08:50 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carver
I got a master remote on eBay for 37.00 delivered, just search RX300 key and about a hundred will pop up.
Sweet! I just looked on Ebay and got a replacement key (uncut) for $26! Thank you so much, I feel like a sucker paying $80.

Here is how to program your key on your own (if you aren't just swapping electronics)::

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...er+programming

The dealer charged someone $280!?! That is highway robbery.

Wow, just found a cheaper one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Last edited by toy4two; 10-30-06 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 09:15 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

As Salim pointed out, be careful, that last link had no electronics, it's just a shell with an uncut blade.

Also, confirm with the seller the FCC number on the case matches your existing key.
Old 10-30-06, 10:34 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carver
As Salim pointed out, be careful, that last link had no electronics, it's just a shell with an uncut blade.

Also, confirm with the seller the FCC number on the case matches your existing key.
Yes I know, all I need is the plastic housing, mine has hair line cracks. I will swap in my old electronics which work fine.

The best deal I found was for 2 for $26, uncut for the RX300. Now to find a locksmith that can cut Lexus keys.
Old 10-30-06, 12:55 PM
Legazus
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for all your help. Dealer called to let me know that car's key is finally here. Can I back off from this deal or it's too late. He already charged my credit card for 160$. Buying one from E bay seems like a good idea. Could replacing bank 1 sensor 1 alone help fix both p1135/p1155 codes? Or I need to replace bank 2 sensor 1 as well.
I think I'll go with Michelin CT tires. Do you think I should wait until I figure out what's else I might need to do for this car prior to this move? Thanks
Old 10-30-06, 01:31 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Yes I know, all I need is the plastic housing, mine has hair line cracks. I will swap in my old electronics which work fine.

The best deal I found was for 2 for $26, uncut for the RX300. Now to find a locksmith that can cut Lexus keys.
I also had a cracked shell ... key cover (the side that opens up).

Went to my friendly dealership parts counter. They had a box full of partially salvaged half shells. I got one for a handshake.

Salim
Old 10-30-06, 01:31 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

It would probably be a good idea to get the dealer to pull whatever maintenance records exist on the car. If it was worked on by any Lexus dealer it will be in the system. It could be important from a maintenance standpoint or to learn if there were/are any issues with the car.

I would get that information before deciding on a course of action, as I am learning as well, Lexus are incredibly sensitive to a lack of regular maintenance, find out what it needs, do it and see if any of these issues are resolved.

Get the maintenance up to date (you have a huge one at 90K ) then work on the codes, not the other way around.

Quick Reply: few issues with my new used rx