RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

That Magical Button that says Power and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 01:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by miniround
Lex,

I tried that today as I was driving around...wish I wouldve read this before. That's F*ing awesommmme. I guess I wont do it too much because I need a tranny to run my vehicle, haha.

But I do have a question...I turned of OD and turned PWR on...is driving like that for some fun a big strain on the tranny...I thought it was so awesome how i was doing like 60 in no time and then let of the gas and i could hear my exhaust tip slowly going down and i heard it crackle a few times...

Is that a big strain?

I dunno...hm...
The only time I really use the PWR button and OD off is at the track. I always though that PWR had to be on, but my testing was to see if OD on or off was better and by a narrow marign the OD off is better.

That crackle might be a little unburnt gas. I used to notice that back when my RX took its baby steps on to the track down here. TorqueMaster plugs now burn that gas to bits (but your really want them only if you plan to mod air/exhast, where the benefit seems to come in).

Looks like no rain tonight, I pray.
Old 11-03-06, 02:09 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex

Looks like no rain tonight, I pray.
rain= <3

see, my back treads are getting to the bar ...i can drift around turns now ...and i know that it's awd, so i'm still safe just incase. now that i learned that OD off and PWR on thing, im gunna try it like that and see if I can control the car better.

difference between yours and mine...your's pulls good in a straight line--mine goes sideways around turns.

speaking of that...check leftlanenews.com...honda recently (sema show debut, i forget)...anyway they recently develop a 500hp Element-D, specially made for drifting...that's siiiiick.

as for that extra gas that's leaking out of my tip...that just proves I could put on a flamethrower kit onnne day

have fun at the track,
ajk
Old 11-04-06, 04:33 AM
Lexusprime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always drive with OD off. Which one is better? actually, I don't see much difference OD on or off. what is the best for the rx? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 11-04-06, 06:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexusprime
I always drive with OD off. Which one is better? actually, I don't see much difference OD on or off. what is the best for the rx? Sorry for my ignorance.
For fuel economy leave the O/D on.
Old 11-04-06, 10:29 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

man, with overdrive off, whenever it's in it's top gear (4th i guess) it picks up power quick man!

shiiiiiiit

so i'm not really ruining my engine by turning OD off, just dont do power braking and ill be good?

GOOD!

adam
Old 11-04-06, 11:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

man, with overdrive off, whenever it's in it's top gear (4th i guess) it picks up power quick man!

shiiiiiiit

so i'm not really ruining my engine by turning OD off, just dont do power braking and ill be good?

GOOD!

adam
No, you aren't ruining it by running it in O/D, but you will be wasting more gas.

Issues lies when one is flooring it all over town.

I can tell you on commutes downtown, I hardly get past 50% on the accelerator and she still flies. Only at the track and a few times on the highway in a passing situation do I floor it.

Now, last night nothing but 18.1s against competition except on one warm up lap (18.4). Temperature was 61 F, 29.92 air pressure, 57% humidity, but not crispy air. 124 km/h easily and 2.8s on the 60 foot. The last figure troubled me as it should be 2.7s...so my uncle and I checked and it was a little low on oil so we will see tonight.

Now for that video, I held the camera a little too high to see the bottom part of the RPMs and the staging lights at the same time, so will try it again tonight. I turned the lights on about 2 to 3 seconds after I start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYwjEO19bg

Still everyone is right, the track is as dark as s...

Oh yeah, I left in that ending part to show difficult and RX300 is to turn around. What a PITA, wish Lexus got this right instead of starting with the better turning radius on the RX330.
Old 11-04-06, 07:12 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Did Lexus really get rid of the Power button after 2000? Did they just make Power the default mode or is this to preserve the tranny better?
Old 11-04-06, 10:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by toy4two
Did Lexus really get rid of the Power button after 2000? Did they just make Power the default mode or is this to preserve the tranny better?
I haven't seen a 01-03 with one.

With regard to the power button, I think this wrapped into the VSC system, but I am not completely sure.

I definitely would not want to run down my track without that little button, it really is magic.
Old 11-05-06, 01:52 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Oh yeah, I left in that ending part to show difficult and RX300 is to turn around. What a PITA, wish Lexus got this right instead of starting with the better turning radius on the RX330.

hahahahahahahahaa..so true.
...like how did Lexus tech guys not get annoyed having to make a 30 point turn when they were testing this thing?
Old 11-05-06, 02:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

hahahahahahahahaa..so true.
...like how did Lexus tech guys not get annoyed having to make a 30 point turn when they were testing this thing?
It was a major complaint when they were doing focus groups for the RX330. At that end point on the track I can make a full turn without going into reverse if you go way to the right and then swing it left.
Old 11-05-06, 10:56 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusprime
I have an awd RX and i've noticed that i do better gas mileage with the OD on. That extra gear IS there to help you. As for the PWR button, i have made a bad habit of leaving it on because its soooooo much fun to drive with. Its fun to catch other people off guard. I have tried SNOW before but i've never used it for anything. I really don't see the need if you have an awd vehicle unless you are doing twisties in very bad weather, which in houston, almost all roads are straight.
Old 03-06-12, 05:32 PM
JERKRICE
Rookie

i got the answer for my snow button.

lexmex

thanks