RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Heater / AC Blower Fan not working...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 07:36 PM
JettCRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater / AC Blower Fan not working...

I have a 1999 RX300. I have read the other threads regarding the blower fan here, but I don't think I have the same problem.

My console display shows the fan speed varying as I change the temperature setting. The fan just never kicks on. I have checked both fuses (the 15A fuse in the dash marked HEATER and the 50A fuse under the hood marked HEATER), but both appear to be fine.

I did notice that in the Fuse & Relay compartment under the hood, there are three relays marked FAN #1, FAN #2 and FAN #3. Does anyone know if these are all the same? Could I swap them around to see if anything changes? Does anyone know how to pull one and test it? Does anyone know which one controls which fan? I assume one is for the blower fan, one is for the condenser fan and one is for the radiator fan.

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-06, 08:27 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring diagram is in two parts ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1999 AC drawing 1.pdf (69.3 KB, 2043 views)
Old 11-09-06, 08:29 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And the second ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1999 AC drawing 2.pdf (51.8 KB, 1337 views)
Old 11-09-06, 08:51 AM
JettCRX
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Thanks... that is a HUGE help.
Old 12-20-06, 09:07 AM
JettCRX
Driver School Candidate

Ok I had to take the car in to get a problem diagnosed (they never did figure out what was wrong and it hasn't happened since... /shrug) and while it was in there, I asked them to look at the blower fan. They told me that it was bad (shorted out) and that a new one would run me roughly $275 plus 2 hours of labor to install it.

Bah. I ordered a used one from a salvage yard for $60 shipped to my door. Now, the big question: Has anyone done this install? Do you have any pictures or diagrams you could post?

I ordered one of those $8 eBay downloads but have not received a download link yet and we're going out of town to the frigid northeast TOMORROW. I'd like to have functioning heat before we leave.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-20-06, 03:43 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JettCRX
Ok I had to take the car in to get a problem diagnosed (they never did figure out what was wrong and it hasn't happened since... /shrug) and while it was in there, I asked them to look at the blower fan. They told me that it was bad (shorted out) and that a new one would run me roughly $275 plus 2 hours of labor to install it.

Bah. I ordered a used one from a salvage yard for $60 shipped to my door. Now, the big question: Has anyone done this install? Do you have any pictures or diagrams you could post?

I ordered one of those $8 eBay downloads but have not received a download link yet and we're going out of town to the frigid northeast TOMORROW. I'd like to have functioning heat before we leave.

Thanks in advance for any help!
why not download it for free?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=33977
Old 12-20-06, 06:40 PM
JettCRX
Driver School Candidate

OUTSTANDING! Thanks!

As it turns out, the job the dealership wanted to charge 2 hours of labor for will quite literally take about 5 minutes. So glad I declined to let them touch that!
Old 12-21-06, 02:45 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JettCRX
OUTSTANDING! Thanks!

As it turns out, the job the dealership wanted to charge 2 hours of labor for will quite literally take about 5 minutes. So glad I declined to let them touch that!
don't forget to post a "how to" when job is complete. It may help someone else.
Old 03-21-16, 12:26 PM
jluciano22
Driver School Candidate

Default heater not working

On 11/2/15 I brought my RX350 into the dealer because the heat was not working. It was only blowing cold air. They replaced the driver side air mix damper control servo to remedy free of charge. On 12/18/15 I brought the car back for the same reason and the tech removed and reinstalled blend door and reinitialized the servo free of charge. They said that this has never happened before and that it may have been caused from the febreeze air freshener clips. They think that maybe a piece may have fallen in and caused the door to stay open. They said next time it will cost about $1500 to fix if it happens again because they will have to take it apart and that would be what the labor would be. It happened again last week. I don't believe it was the air freshener clip. I think it is a defect. They are saying it is not under warranty. Wondering if this is what is happening with yours. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 03-21-16, 12:57 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by jluciano22
On 11/2/15 I brought my RX350 into the dealer because the heat was not working. It was only blowing cold air. They replaced the driver side air mix damper control servo to remedy free of charge. On 12/18/15 I brought the car back for the same reason and the tech removed and reinstalled blend door and reinitialized the servo free of charge. They said that this has never happened before and that it may have been caused from the febreeze air freshener clips. They think that maybe a piece may have fallen in and caused the door to stay open. They said next time it will cost about $1500 to fix if it happens again because they will have to take it apart and that would be what the labor would be. It happened again last week. I don't believe it was the air freshener clip. I think it is a defect. They are saying it is not under warranty. Wondering if this is what is happening with yours. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Welcome to CL.

I want to make sure the title of this thread matches your concern, This thread is Blower Fan not working. Mode control impacts which vent the air comes from, while the blend/mix controls the heat/cold (thermostat). Take the system out of Auto and play with the mode, temp and fan speeds. Then append to appropriate thread or start a new one. Let me know how I can help move this post.

Salim
Old 03-21-16, 01:06 PM
jluciano22
Driver School Candidate

Default Blower fan not working

Thank you Salim. I will repost it.
Old 03-21-16, 01:10 PM
jluciano22
Driver School Candidate

Salim,

I am new to this and do not know how to move it where it belongs. Any chance you can help?

Thanks.
Joanne
Old 03-21-16, 01:57 PM
jluciano22
Driver School Candidate

Already did as you suggested and no change.
Old 03-21-16, 10:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by jluciano22
Already did as you suggested and no change.
Edit your first post of just add to the thread to clarify the problems MODE or temp or fan speed. Once you do that, then I can move your post(s).

Salim
Old 03-23-16, 05:56 PM
jluciano22
Driver School Candidate

Default blower/fan problem.../ update

Originally Posted by jluciano22 View Post

I have an update since I posted this the other day. I actually brought it to the dealer and they put a scope into the heater and took a picture of the plastic from a Febreze air clip. This is the problem which they are going to have to charge me to fix. The lesson here is ......DO NOT USE THE AIR FRESHENER CLIPS. The dealership told me I may be able to get my insurance to cover it? I don't see how but I will look into it. I just wanted to let you know the outcome.
Thank you .

Quick Reply: Heater / AC Blower Fan not working...