RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 08:25 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some questions...

So I've finally succumbed to the need of bass during music. I've decided that an iTrip is necessary right now. My 6-disc is getting boring. I used to have an iTrip when i had my mini iPod and the quality was alright, but then i upgraded to a 30gb video iPod and havent had it in the car since the Monster iCarPlay cassette POS thing! So I've decided that I am going to invest in an in-car audio accessory.

I know of a few different companies that make an iTrip, and they're mostly priced around the same area...but I've heard that the Monster "iTrip", I think it's still called an iCarPlay wireless, is the best at the Apple store.

Does anyone use that and is it good.
If not, does anyone use an "iTrip" module thing?

I'd rather hear from users that have tried different ones and let them tell me which one was the best then hearing from everyone saying that their iTrip is the best thing everrrrrrrr!

...So after this thread, I better feel compelled to have to buy an iTrip rather than an FM Modulater and Aux in/out cables...since iTrip is less in that $$$ range and can be used right away

thanks,
adam
Old 12-11-06, 05:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I'm the last man on the planet without an iPod. Call me a Luddite, but I've not been impressed with the quality of the mp-3 compression algorithm. I've traveled with a friend who carries a large iPod and a modulator that works well on my FM, and it compares favorably with several of my wife's mp-3 to CD conversions. Not great, but OK. It's still not up to CD quality, but I can live with it - it's a convenience thing.

I'm considering getting a FM modulator for friends with their iPods to bring their tunes on the road, but I'm still not convinced of their quality enough to hack into my ML to wire them direct. Maybe I'm missing something here, but a lot of mp-3's played back to back with a CD are pretty sad, even to my impaired ears.

The variable quality of most music download sites is probably the determining factor here. My wife moved on from our Napster account some time ago, and is now using a couple of "shared" sites, including SafeShare. A high percentage of these "shared" tracks are not what I would regard as commercial quality, but with her rather catholic taste in music, tending toward old rock, blues, and jazz, from obscure artists, I suppose some of this is due to being "unpublished" (basement) recordings. Without some overriding QC standards, a few people post horrible pirate versions of some tracks, that converted to CD sound like fingernails on a chalkboard through the ML.

So I guess I'll just limp along with my OG CD's - mixed from commercial (paid) sources. My wife will continue to collect her obscure tracks (often heard as production music on TV shows like "CSI", "Grey's Anatomy" and "Boston Legal"), but I'm getting her a better set of speakers for her computer . . . for QC purposes, you understand.
Old 12-12-06, 11:06 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha

well...the fact stands that neither an FM Modulator or an FM Transmitter emit a digital wave...therefore the sound coming through amazing stereo systems such as my Nakamichi (haha) and your ML, sound like ****. that's why there's no bass etc. when you burn a cd, it separates the music into channels so that when the cd is replayed, all the channels are mixed and the right sounds come out of the correct speakers.

I'm just getting sick of burning CD's to put into my 6-disc so I've decided it's time to invest in an iTrip again...just order the Monster iCarPlay Wireless off of Buy.com instead of buying it from Apple for the following reasons

1. if you buy something from apple, and return it, you only get an Apple credit. i don't buy much from apple, and don't need an iTunes giftcard, so why give my money to apple?

2. buy.com combined with google checkout enabled me to save 50$ and I got free shipping. no it's not a case of "cheapness", but a case of a little common sense in knowing what technology costs and how it should be purchased.

So I shall come back and reply when this Monster thing comes in...and tell all how I love having 3467 songs in my car, but can't stand how there's little to no bass!

haha