RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I need new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 03:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by miniround
A special thanks to all physicists in here!

All I wanted to know has already been answered...as Carver said he got those brembo's for cheap...

I know I need new brakes...and i just felt like upgrading a little because i'll probably have my car for a little while...
You may like to have your master cylender examined. A fellow member posted that his brake pedal had extra travel. We speculated and speculated and finally the fix was to replace the master cylender. This would help you if you do or do not opt for a change.

Please do a favor and leave some rubber marks before and after the change.

Salim
Old 01-07-07, 04:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Thank you for good references as it helped me understand the situtaiton little better.

1. Contact patch ... This is a dynamic area which will depend on how the vehicle nose dives ... dynamic weight ditribution per axle... this for brakes will depend upon suspension as well as relative braking action between front and back. Re-calibration or fooling with proportioanting valve (by allowing different volume) is a tricky bussiness and it can help as well as make the braking worse. Now how much? it is debatable ... stock vs big brakes.... but I do see sound reasoning behind it.

2. The issue I have is with the scenario. Although the temprature of the brakes was set below fading but it was set close to fading. I guess the study was done to make claims about stopping distance and for that they needed to elevate the temprature, but it does stack things against oem setup. Just a slight rise of temp and we are over the knee of the curve.

I am glad this forum allows us an oppertunity to raise our awareness, even when we disagree.

Salim
Thanks for keeping an open mind.
I think the ultimate goal of the study is to show brake bias matters. They did not do the test to measure BBK perform to brake temperature, temperature is just a side data, short distance is what they go after.

If I remember it right, ten 60-0 runs per setup, so brakes could be very cold (1st run) or very hot (10th run). This make best braking distance as meaningful ( for us street drivers ) as the average distance.

There are quite a few cars that offer bigger Brembo brake as an dealer option. In addition to Nissan Z350; current generation of Acura TL offer 4 piston Brembo with the manual, (automatic get smaller Acura brakes); Infiniti G35 also offers Brembo and Nissan brakes.
If you are interested, you can try to research stopping distances on the same car, one with OEM supplied big Brembo brakes option, the other with OEM's own brakes, both factory installed. Let's know what you found out.
Old 01-07-07, 04:30 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I need new brakes...and i just felt like upgrading a little because i'll probably have my car for a little while...
Akebono's ceramic pad material has similar in brake coefficient as OEM (mine factory installed has semi-metallic material), but it is more consistent across temperature range. That is one upgrade.
If you go after slotted/drilled, the rotor surface is a rougher than a plain one, allowing more "bite", but drilled holes will introduce stress to the metal...
Some Brembo brake uses carbon steel, which has different specific heat than cast steel (OEM), higher specific heat allows metal to store more heat.
Without going to bigger rotors, the above benefits are small but noticeable. The biggest factor may be fresh brake fluid that is properly bled, if you have factory brake fluid, chances are tiny air bubbles already live there for a while.
Old 01-07-07, 09:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

A special thanks to all physicists in here!

All I wanted to know has already been answered...as Carver said he got those brembo's for cheap...

Sorry for the diversion and hogging up the forum ... at least it was educational for me.

Salim
Physics rules. Respect it, else accident will happen.