RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Carbon Fiber Hood ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 11:19 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Carbon Fiber Hood ????

ok guys i been thinking about it over and over .. should i get a carbon fiber hood or not .. i found a local shop that carry the hood but it cost 450 for it .. is it worth the price? i been waiting for 6 months see if the price will go down but it hasnt so i need your guys opinion.. yes or no?? i also hear good and bad feedback on vis hoods that it doesnt fit that well and it will start fading after awhile

thanx
john.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Hood ????-99rx3.jpg  

Last edited by sgv_bum; 01-25-07 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 11:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If it doesn't need pins to hold it down, that would be a plus.

I would love to take of that weight.

I don't think that is a bad price, as I remember Lextasy sold one awhile back and I think it was well over $1,000 USD.
Old 01-25-07, 11:30 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For price wise, I think $450 sound good/fair to me. I am looking for cf hood for my 01' 3-series. It runs from $350 to 1k. If you need paint, it will be another $300. If you don't paint it, you will need to wax it more often to prevent fading.

Last edited by Francis; 01-25-07 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 12:15 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

they said you dont need a hood pin.. only if you go off road then yea but i think my car cant go off road anymore .. gonna sit on it and think about it some more.. 70% yes and 30% say no..
Old 01-25-07, 12:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I will probably also give this some thought, but as something for the future. I have been meaning to paint my hood for some time (nicks, rock hits, angry track fans , but this might be something neat in place of painting it.

This is a good find though.
Old 01-25-07, 01:43 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw VIS CF hood but on the safety side, hook pins should be mandatory. Image going 70mph and the hood pops up and covers your windshield....
Old 01-25-07, 02:52 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here.

The CF hood might be considered an appearance mod, but for removing a significant amount of weight from the rather porky RX, it probably falls into the performance category of full-race muffler bearings. If you want to reduce the weight of your ride a few pounds to give you a .0001 sec advantage, that $400 might be better spent on a gym membership for the driver.

We tend to justify a lot of stuff in the name of logic. A neighbor just put a 230 hp outboard on his 17' bass boat . . . to get to the fishing grounds faster, he says. C'mon Pete, we all know you want to tear across the lake at 70 mph - and you could care less about the stupid fish. Why not admit you feel the need . . .

That probably explains the spoiler on the tailgate of his pickup, too.
Old 01-25-07, 03:36 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X

The CF hood might be considered an appearance mod, but for removing a significant amount of weight from the rather porky RX, it probably falls into the performance category of full-race muffler bearings. If you want to reduce the weight of your ride a few pounds to give you a .0001 sec advantage, that $400 might be better spent on a gym membership for the driver.

We tend to justify a lot of stuff in the name of logic. A neighbor just put a 230 hp outboard on his 17' bass boat . . . to get to the fishing grounds faster, he says. C'mon Pete, we all know you want to tear across the lake at 70 mph - and you could care less about the stupid fish. Why not admit you feel the need . . .

i'm getting a CF hood for appearance mod to go with my kit and everything else not to take the weight off my car... but i see your point there tho.
Old 01-25-07, 04:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I recognize your boat example. I had a canal behind where I grew in Miami and always my friends admired my 15 hp Evinrude on my little john boat (which we also used to fish) Excessive? probably, but it runs in the family in terms of horsepower and speed. Most of my friends had 5 to 9.9 hp motors maximum on their little boats.

I am actually not sure how much weight that carbon fiber would remove or even what the weight of OEM hood is. However in terms of a 1/4 mile, generally each pound removed results in a .001 sec. reduction, 50 pounds, .05 sec. reduction(about half a car length) and 100 pounds a .1 sec. reduction (which is where it gets significant since it is a car length).

I never thought that that $1,000 USD + Lextasy model was worth it. For me something that does a .1 gain for about $200 USD or so is justifiable.
Old 01-25-07, 04:18 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I also think the gain to $ ratio is low for CF hood. But in RX's case, many bolt-on mods are simply not as avaliable.
I would be the first to spend that $400 on stainless performance header designed for RX300 or even $800 on a bolt-on high flow cat + resonator + pipe to the mufflers. But I am dreaming here, these mods don't exist and Lexmex has the first hand experience on how much $ and time needed to custom made them.
Not a justification, but if one has $400 to spend on mods, not really a lot of options out there except SS mufflers or a lightweight hood.
Old 01-26-07, 10:34 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was actually looking into these last year. And $400 is about the right price range. You might even get it cheaper. Supposedly it has the same frame on the underside and a latch so you dont need the hood pins. Im not so sure how many lbs you are really going to save though. VIS CF hoods are supposed to be quality . But from what I heard CF fades and even warps if left in direct heat for long periods of time
Old 01-26-07, 10:54 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Doesn't clear bra protect the hood from fades and rock damage? If one has a damaged hood, it is cheaper to go for CF hood replacement over OEM.
Old 01-26-07, 11:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I've got some dings and some rock hits on my hood, and before I leave Mexico perhaps this Carbon Fiber Hood might be a better idea.

I have carried some hoods in my handsthat belonged to a Grand Cherokee and a Pathfinder at my uncle's shop, and they felt under 100 pounds, so I am thinking that perhaps less than .1 second gain, not necessarily in my thinking, but for appearance might be nice.
Old 01-26-07, 12:04 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
I was actually looking into these last year. And $400 is about the right price range. You might even get it cheaper. Supposedly it has the same frame on the underside and a latch so you dont need the hood pins. Im not so sure how many lbs you are really going to save though. VIS CF hoods are supposed to be quality . But from what I heard CF fades and even warps if left in direct heat for long periods of time
yea LiqrSicc is right its the same frame on the underside and latch .. i went to check it out at my buddy shop ... he went to go pick one up for me.. ...buddy said he can give it to for his cost..its gonna be IOU until i get my tax return .. i called around yesterday while i was at work .. i got quote from 480 to 700..
Old 01-26-07, 01:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sgv_bum
yea LiqrSicc is right its the same frame on the underside and latch .. i went to check it out at my buddy shop ... he went to go pick one up for me.. ...buddy said he can give it to for his cost..its gonna be IOU until i get my tax return .. i called around yesterday while i was at work .. i got quote from 480 to 700..
Your buddy offers you a pretty good deal, let us know how it pan out: how the fitment goes and post some pictures!

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood ????