RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ignition Key and Cylinder, Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 12:05 PM
chilenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key and Cylinder, Need help!

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with a valet customer this past New Years Eve. The valet placed the customer’s key in the car and the car would not start. The key would not even remove from the ignition key cylinder. We were able to turn the key left or right. The funny thing was the Navi screen was on and in a weird state when the key was inserted. Finally got the key out and placed it back to try to start the car again. No luck. She had it towed and fixed by a body shop. The body shop replaced the cylinder and matched it to the key. She is now blaming us on the issue.

After searching I noticed that several people on here have had similar issues with the ignition cylinder failing. I do know it’s a RX model, but I do not know the specifics on the car. Do you guys agree this is a Lexus issue that may have been addressed in a TSB?

She wants to sue now, but I really don't think this is a valet issue, just a Lexus issue that coincidentally happened on New Years Eve.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-07, 02:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

There are multiple things to consider in your post.

Treat the key/ignition as a just another part that has failed ... like starter or battery. The thing to ponder is, did the valet abuse the key/ignition. In other words if it was you the owner who had inserted the key, would you have had the same outcome. Lock-smith maybe able to tell you if there was a one time abuse issue.

Next question is, what is your warranty status. If it has expired, then Lexus is not responcible for repairs. Towing fee may be re-imburseable by your auto-insurance (depends upon the coverage).

As I know there is no recall on the key/ignition. Yes a few folks have had an issue with it. Even if there is a recall, Lexus should have been contacted in a non-emergency situation as they should have the first right to work on your vehicle.

Now we get into, who authorized the reapairs? You as owner or valet comapnay or the establishment. If it was you who asked for the reapirs and the middle man/agency becomes an authorized agent. If the lock-smith is not paid by you or the agent, he can put a mechanics lien on your vehicle and have it impounded. If the agen paid on your behalf, then the agent can suit you to recover costs and expense.

If the middle man/agency acted without your approval, then they have to eat the cost of repairs.

In fairness, your vehicle was repaired, and you as an owner (benifichary) should pay for it. Also count your blessings as the ignition switch was repairable, else you would have needed new keys as well.

Salim
Old 01-26-07, 02:28 PM
chilenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hired the valet company to work at my establishment. I did find that there was a couple of TSBs realted to this issue:

EL008-99
EL005-03

The owner of the vehicle paid for the repairs and wants me or the valet company to pay her back. I think this is a Lexus issue.
Old 01-26-07, 04:33 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

I thought you were the owner ...

As the establishment owner the perspective changes ....

I think you are going overboard in trying to figure it was Lexus or TSB ... Your concern ought to be Is it me, if not it is for her to figure out who.

You should only focus on ... if it was your valet company's negligence that caused the malfunction. (or If the owner had inserted the key, the outcome would have been the same). Such affirmation by locksmith would buttress your case.

Since the owner has indicated desire to take it to court, get your insurance company involved and talk to a lawyer.

Since I am opinionated person, I think the owner is being unreasonable, but then I have not heard her story. ... had she given her friend the key ...

Salim
Old 01-28-07, 09:23 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chilenny
Hey Guys,

I have a problem with a valet customer this past New Years Eve. The valet placed the customer’s key in the car and the car would not start. The key would not even remove from the ignition key cylinder. We were able to turn the key left or right. The funny thing was the Navi screen was on and in a weird state when the key was inserted. Finally got the key out and placed it back to try to start the car again. No luck. She had it towed and fixed by a body shop. The body shop replaced the cylinder and matched it to the key. She is now blaming us on the issue.

After searching I noticed that several people on here have had similar issues with the ignition cylinder failing. I do know it’s a RX model, but I do not know the specifics on the car. Do you guys agree this is a Lexus issue that may have been addressed in a TSB?

She wants to sue now, but I really don't think this is a valet issue, just a Lexus issue that coincidentally happened on New Years Eve.

Thanks!
If you search this and the other popular RX forums you will find that this problem is almost always caused by pulling out the key in the accessory position or by first inserting the wrong key by mistake. This would most likely not happen to the owner but could easily happen to a valet. So one could assume that the problem was caused by the Valets actions. But then there is the argument that the key should not be able to be removed in the acc position and inserting the wrong (Lexus) key first should not cause this problem either. Plus who knows if this is really the cause.
The cost for this service, with the tow, is around $800 at the dealer and maybe less for the body shop you used. I don't think the owner will waste the time and cost of a lawsuit for this amount. But do you really want an angry customer who may know other customers for this amount. You are the only one who can answer that.