RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil pressure/tranny noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 10:31 AM
99jewel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil pressure/tranny noise

'99 RX300 with 78,000 miles. About a month ago, it developed a chirping noise (no-not like brakes) that I am almost certain is A/C compressor/alternator belt. About a week ago, I noticed a "whining" noise that increases with RPM increase that I thought might be related to the tranny. I checked the trans. fluid when cold, and it appeared to be a little low, so I added 1/2 quart of Type T-IV. Noise has significantly decreased, HOWEVER, now the low oil pressure light is coming on, after I drive 4 or 5 miles. I checked oil level & it is fine. I can't possibly think of any reason why any of these symptoms could be related, and I am most concerned about the oil sludge nightmare. Any comments why the oil pressure light is coming on after engine warms up?
Old 02-11-07, 11:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Oil pressure light monitors engine oil pressure and not the trans-fluid level.

Engine Oil check procedure:
With the engine tunred off, on a level surface, pull the dip stick out and clean it with a lint free rag. Re-insert the dip stick all the way down. Pause for a sec or two and pull it out. Read the level where the oil is all the way across. [much easier with engine cold]. The level must be between min and max.

When the low pressure light comes on, either the engine oil is too low, or the pump is not producing enough pressure to lubricate. Both are bad conditions for engine. Low pressure can happen when your oil has physically broken down, so one needs to keep track of when was the last oil change done. Also keep track of leaks ... puddles under the RX where you park.

Trans fluid check:
You should do a cold check, the first time you fill, but regualr check is done hot. Drive around for 15 or 20 minutes and park your RX on a flat level surface. Let engine idle (running) pull the trans-dip-stick and wipe it clean and insert it back all the way. Wait a sec or two and pull it out to read. Due to circulation of fluid, the edges would show some fluid, but read the point where the fluid crosses end to end.

Salim
Old 02-11-07, 05:34 PM
99jewel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salim: OK- this afternoon I started car (first time today) & heard the whining noise like a transmission problem. Revved engine & pitch/tone of whining got higher as the RPM's increased. Put it in gear & drove down street with it whining. When car shifted from 1st to 2nd gear (automatic transmission) pitch of whining decreased with the decrease in RPM's. Same thing when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. As engine warmed, the noise gradually went away. Drove about 3 miles, cut engine off, let car sit for about 5 minutes, cranked it and no noise. So...it appears it occurs only when engine is cold. Does it sound like tranny to you? Also, the oil pressure light never came on today after driving about 15 or 20 miles. The oil was changed a few months ago, and car is not driven more than 400 or 500 miles a month. Level still shows in range on dipstick, so I am now less worried about oil pressure than I am with the whining noise.
Old 02-11-07, 08:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

THere is steering pump too. Pop the hood and investigate. Take it to the dealer or to your trusted mechanice.

Salim
Old 02-15-07, 03:12 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 99jewel
The oil was changed a few months ago, and car is not driven more than 400 or 500 miles a month. Level still shows in range on dipstick, so I am now less worried about oil pressure than I am with the whining noise.
Do a search on whining on cold engine when decellerating and you'll find lots... even on the rav4 and highlanders (same drivetrain as rx)

Mine did this also and the tech just smiled and said they all do that... When I asked him if it was normal he said, normal for the rav4's with v6 engine and highlanders...

I know that after my trani got overhauled my car still did the whining just when the trani was cold.. However, after I did a four wheel alignment and had the 4 tires replaced.... The problem went away and has been gone since and the weather in Canada has been pretty cold I can assure you

Good luck and I would be more concerned with the oil pressure light coming on when your driving, given that the level is normal...