RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 06:02 PM
iowarx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys - still having some issues but I think they probably belong on a separate thread. Turns out you were right. Very good advice guys. I reset the current problems in my new thread.
Old 03-12-10, 02:22 PM
chachacha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i followed the instruction and did it on my 00es300. it was a success.. thanks to lexmex...
Old 07-14-10, 11:19 AM
dco5000
Driver School Candidate

Default Work on a RX330?

Using LexMex's process, will this work on a RX330 (2004)? Will I still be able to access the coil bolts and then get to the plugs?

All thoughts appreciated!
Old 07-14-10, 06:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dco5000
Using LexMex's process, will this work on a RX330 (2004)? Will I still be able to access the coil bolts and then get to the plugs?

All thoughts appreciated!
It's quite similar, there are some small differences with the throttle bodies on both vehicles. However, the last time I took a look at the 3MZFE engine (RX330), I didn't see that doing the spark plug change would be too much different from that on the 1MZFE (RX300).

I'd have to see a close up shot of the throttle body area and accelerator cable to refresh my memory though, but I didn't see anything difficult areas on the RX330.
Old 07-30-10, 05:39 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Question Spark Plugs on Ebay. $49.95 for 6 plugs

Will the following spark plug work fine on 2001 Lexus RX300 FWD. Also does the price look good?
Thought of confirming with you folks as it is not possible to return Ebay items!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-DEN...#ht_4772wt_939

Thanks.
Trips.
Old 07-30-10, 06:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by trips1
Will the following spark plug work fine on 2001 Lexus RX300 FWD. Also does the price look good?
Thought of confirming with you folks as it is not possible to return Ebay items!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-DEN...#ht_4772wt_939

Thanks.
Trips.
Yes, that plug, the IK20, will work.

I am not sure on the price though, since I don't use those plugs.
Old 10-10-10, 09:10 AM
bhola
Driver School Candidate

I have RX350AWD. Does anyone know if this procedure will work? I have engine light check and VSC on and wanted to troubleshoot coil 5. I have been told by one local guy that coils are hidden (1,3,5) and will require lots of work.
Old 10-11-10, 09:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bhola
I have RX350AWD. Does anyone know if this procedure will work? I have engine light check and VSC on and wanted to troubleshoot coil 5. I have been told by one local guy that coils are hidden (1,3,5) and will require lots of work.
I have seen the engine of that vehicle and yes it is similar to what is shown, but the 1,3,5 cylinders are all rear (going from passenger side with 1 to 5 on the driver's side) and there is a similar amount of work involved as shown to the one with my RX300. 5 would be the back rear closest to the driver's side.
Old 10-13-10, 08:41 PM
bhola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have seen the engine of that vehicle and yes it is similar to what is shown, but the 1,3,5 cylinders are all rear (going from passenger side with 1 to 5 on the driver's side) and there is a similar amount of work involved as shown to the one with my RX300. 5 would be the back rear closest to the driver's side.
Thanks Lexmex. I am going to try and see if I can locate coil 5 as it is not visible and so have to remove tray and other parts to locate. Do I have to replace coil on all rear or just coil 5 is fine?
Old 10-14-10, 09:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks Lexmex. I am going to try and see if I can locate coil 5 as it is not visible and so have to remove tray and other parts to locate. Do I have to replace coil on all rear or just coil 5 is fine?
Just the one, #5
Old 10-14-10, 09:28 PM
bhola
Driver School Candidate

Just the one, #5
This is getting interesting. I finally found coil 5 but was unable to get it out. Got some ideas form phlfly so will try it out tomorrow.

I put scanner today and surprisingly got P0133 instead original code of P0355. P0133 is for Oxygen sensor so now have no idea what could be wrong with the car. Any ideas?

I am still going to swap coil 5 with one of the front one's just in case (assuming I can get it out)
Old 10-15-10, 07:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is getting interesting. I finally found coil 5 but was unable to get it out. Got some ideas form phlfly so will try it out tomorrow.

I put scanner today and surprisingly got P0133 instead original code of P0355. P0133 is for Oxygen sensor so now have no idea what could be wrong with the car. Any ideas?

I am still going to swap coil 5 with one of the front one's just in case (assuming I can get it out)
Do the swap.

If you have a bad coil, that can sometimes throw an oxygen sensor code.
Old 10-18-10, 08:51 PM
bhola
Driver School Candidate

Do the swap.

If you have a bad coil, that can sometimes throw an oxygen sensor code.
I gave up I could not get the cable connector out. I removed wiper blade, motor assembly, plate and engine hose. I can see the coil but it is in tight spot and was unable to remove the connector. I also tried with peak tool but not enough space to put in both hands to get it out.

If any one has any ideas on how to get the connector out please reply or will have to take it to a dealer for fix.

Thanks
Old 10-19-10, 01:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I gave up I could not get the cable connector out. I removed wiper blade, motor assembly, plate and engine hose. I can see the coil but it is in tight spot and was unable to remove the connector. I also tried with peak tool but not enough space to put in both hands to get it out.

If any one has any ideas on how to get the connector out please reply or will have to take it to a dealer for fix.

Thanks
Get the coil out shouldn't be that hard, it's a 10mm bolt and the connector the last time I did it was easy. Only problem I would sometimes face is I would have to get a piece of cloth or maybe a flathead screwdriver to get a troublesome electrical connector in a tight, but never with the coils.
Old 10-19-10, 01:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Thanks
Explain it a bit more ..

You can not put your hand(s) on the connector?
Have you experimented on the front connectors to learn how to separate the connector?

You can push the release, but still can not separate the connector etc.

Salim

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)