RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 05:36 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Intake

I know there have been many posts about intakes for an 00 RX300...but I really think I want one now.

What is out there? Will it perform? Will it sound cool?

I'm not looking to spend tons on it...i mean, 100? ebay's calling my name, but i'd like to hear from some pro's over here

and if you dont think that for 100 or so that an intake is the best mod for my car (that doesnt have much except for muffler tip and neons), than let me know what you think i should do!
Old 02-26-07, 07:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The only aftermarket design I like the Weapon-R secret intake and a Weapon-R cold air intake box.

TunedRX300 also has a very clever design and was the inventor of the lower air intake for our vehicles...the one that I use to suck in the cold air from the opening on the bumper.

I can say this, the dragon intake I had from Weapon-R didn't do a thing except roar at 3,000 RPM.

Really, it depends what you want it to do. Being in Florida (and I know from also being from there), we are a lot more open in terms of modifying our vehicles than those from other states with emissions/inspections.
Old 02-26-07, 09:30 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh i c...well i dont know...i want some more sound...i'm thinking of just buying a muffler off of ebay for like $50 and going to this muffler shop I know and have them chop off the pipe and put a new clear one on w/o restrictions...

thoughts?

and what's tuned's air intake about?
Old 02-26-07, 10:23 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miniround
ahh i c...well i dont know...i want some more sound...i'm thinking of just buying a muffler off of ebay for like $50 and going to this muffler shop I know and have them chop off the pipe and put a new clear one on w/o restrictions...

thoughts?

Word! I have the K&N Air Filter and I just bought a Magnaflow 14861, I was going to go with the 14829 but I was feeling the oval tips a bit more. I want to get it on the car but I have a 90K service appointment soon so I (and you guys) will have to wait =(..

-Tc
Old 02-27-07, 06:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by miniround

thoughts?

Florida shouldn't give you as much garbage as other states about sound. I put an APC Intimidator on once and asked a Texas Ranger in a parking lot up in San Antonio is his impressions and he said even at WOT he didn't have an issue with it. That would be your only issue.

As long as your muffler is direct, you will reap the benefits, unlike that stock muffler that is basically dead weight.

This is TunedRX300's intake, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158249

TunedRX300's intake still used the stock air box, but included an attachment as I mentioned to get the benefits of the incoming air. In my case, I actually eliminated my air box and as you see on page 6 of my homepage all of the nasty work I have done since. Keep in mind though that I don't use an air filter.

Let me know how you want to progress.
Old 02-27-07, 09:48 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Lexmex for mentioning my Home Depot intake. Few members have tried it and most are satisfied with the performance gain.
The design actually is not my idea, I copied from Comptech's Ice Box for my other car, but I researched for off the shelf parts and experiemented how to implement the design.
The gain comes from 1) lowering air inlet temperature by moving the source to outside of engine bay and 2) use car's own speed to progressively ram air into the engine.
Old 02-28-07, 08:01 AM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Weapon-R Dragon intake on mine. It sounds awesome. I'll post pictures once I can get the right mounting equipment. I've written the guys at Weapon-R and they still have not written back. So, unless you want pictures of it being held up by rope, it might be a couple weeks.
Old 02-28-07, 08:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
I put a Weapon-R Dragon intake on mine. It sounds awesome. I'll post pictures once I can get the right mounting equipment. I've written the guys at Weapon-R and they still have not written back. So, unless you want pictures of it being held up by rope, it might be a couple weeks.
You must have had more success being at sea level. As I mentioned, all I got was an incredible roar. Will say that I still use that metal piece to put my MAF in.