RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

help with erratic passenger window

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 04:13 PM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with erratic passenger window

Hi,
First of all, this is my first post to the forum and so far this forum has already helped me so much and saved me alot of $. Thank you all!

My passenger window has been acting erraticly lately, especially during rainy weather. It will only go down and not up when using both master and passenger controls. When switching up, it will go down as well. it will go down until its open completely. In this position, when try pushing the switch up on either switch, i hear a clicking sound from the passenger door but nothing happens. After 20 or so tries, the window will randomly decide to work and go up all the way. On hot dry days, the window works fine until there is again a random failure.
All other windows are fine.
Does anyone know of any DIY troubleshooting I can attempt before going to a mechanic? Thanks.
-Ray
Old 03-03-07, 06:04 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, dfish! Glad to be of service.

It sounds like the window is binding, causing the "pinch" function to stop the movement of the glass. The way this works is by monitoring the current draw of the window motor and tripping a rather sensitive circuit breaker to stop and reverse the window when the current to the motor exceeds some preset value to avoid choking or injuring someone with a hand or head trapped between the glass and the frame. Sounds pretty crazy, but if you have kids, you'll understand the need for this.

What can happen, particularly with cars in a relatively hot or dry climate is the rubber in the window channels begins to harden and increase the drag on the glass, raising the current needed to operate the window, and causing the breaker to trip during regular operation. A good way to cure the problem (and a cheap and easy test) is to lower the glass and spray the window channel with Armorall or a similar silicon rubber dressing. Let it soak in for a few minutes, and wipe off the excess carefully. You don't want to smear up your windows.

Next, clean the window thoroughly and apply Rain-X (it's a good treatment for the windows of your car anyway) to make the glass as smooth as possible. Obviously you can't reach ALL of the glass that's in the sides of the window channel, but get as close as you can - some will seep under the rubber.

Once dry and polished, your windows should operate more freely, and the problem should disappear. If not, your time hasn't been wasted, you have helped preserve your seals and you have sparkling clean windows!

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-03-07 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 03:08 PM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
I tried it out today and I'm happy to announce that the window is working again! There's still some times when it doesnt respond, but I figure it'll get better once the armor all softens up the rubber more.

I love this forum!