RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Magnaflow muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 08:32 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow muffler

Hey guys, instead of ordering the 14829 I decided to go with the dual oval tips from the 14861, problem is I haven't ordered it yet. I was wondering do you think it's possible to cut the stock muffler off and weld on the new one in the same position, it looks plausible but I was worried about how the stock pipe was set up where it bends intensely almost right up to the muffler, leaving about 1 inch of straight pipe. If you don't know what I'm talking about just let me know and I'll run and snap a pic tomorrow morning.

-TC
Old 03-03-07, 10:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You should be just fine. I use to have an APC Intimidator (it was not a direct fit like a Rod Millen) and it was quite easy to weld in without issue.
Old 03-05-07, 03:39 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

ok I took some pics after I washed her today, the first one is showing where my uncle and I want to cut the pipe and weld on the Magnaflow, is it possible here or maybe even closer to the stock can?
Attached Thumbnails Magnaflow muffler-p3050007.jpg  
Old 03-05-07, 03:43 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the second pic, and I was surprised that the stock can + tip measures out to 22". The measurements of the muffler I have coming in are:

2.25" Inlet 4" Diam. Tip
7" Tip Length
5" x 8" Oval Body
14" Muffler Body Length

Will this work? Thanks for the patience and you guys know I'll give you pics and vid if this works out!

-tc
Attached Thumbnails Magnaflow muffler-p3050006.jpg  
Old 03-05-07, 03:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That should work. That is the point where I had my first aftermarket welded. Would be nice to make the S joint there a lot straighter, but that takes a little more work.

Only other thing you should have to weld in are the hangers off the old muffler.
Old 03-05-07, 05:16 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are also another hanger at the front end of the OEM muffler.
Stock rear hooks that hangers mounted on are hollow, which is great for weight saving. But I am not sure their durability when cut off and welded back.
One thing you have to be careful is not to extend the tip too far back. For deeper slopes, those SS tips can be easily scraped, especially if you plan to lower the RX.
Old 03-05-07, 05:40 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
There are also another hanger at the front end of the OEM muffler.
Stock rear hooks that hangers mounted on are hollow, which is great for weight saving. But I am not sure their durability when cut off and welded back.
One thing you have to be careful is not to extend the tip too far back. For deeper slopes, those SS tips can be easily scraped, especially if you plan to lower the RX.
Thanks for the tip Tuned! When you mean the rear hooks are you referring to the hooks facing the back of the vehicle? My uncle and I might fabricate our own from steel rods we'll pick up at a Home Depot or something. And yes good looking out, I just bought my Intrax springs! (Lexmex I know you'll want to know about these, soon enough)

-tc
Old 03-05-07, 06:14 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish i can put a dual tip. that was my first choice of exhaust... my kit only let me fit a single tip.... i cut my closer to stock can.. i got a tusdo exhaust not to loud.. when it's ideling you can't really even really hear it...when you going about over 70mph and let your feet off the gas, it will sound more louder than while ur feet is stepping on the gas thats kinda weird to me.....its pretty quiet to me... we should have a small rx300 meet to check out everyone different kind of mods that they have on there rx300 to give us different ideas.

Last edited by sgv_bum; 03-05-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 10:15 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgv_bum
i wish i can put a dual tip. that was my first choice of exhaust... my kit only let me fit a single tip.... i cut my closer to stock can.. i got a tusdo exhaust not to loud.. when it's ideling you can't really even really hear it...when you going about over 70mph and let your feet off the gas, it will sound more louder than while ur feet is stepping on the gas thats kinda weird to me.....its pretty quiet to me... we should have a small rx300 meet to check out everyone different kind of mods that they have on there rx300 to give us different ideas.
that would be a good idea if we didnt live hours from each other. I think tcheung is the only one even close to me.
Old 03-05-07, 10:20 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
that would be a good idea if we didnt live hours from each other. I think tcheung is the only one even close to me.
Where do you work again man? I go to school at DVC in Pleasant Hill, I thought you worked in Concord and you guys can just call me Tim anyways. I know you were looking into an exhaust mod and this was a really inexpensive way to gain some sound and looks so if it falls through I'll let you know man!

-tc
Old 03-11-07, 03:06 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Okay I lied, I got the 14829 anyways. But I uploaded some pics for you guys of the muffler itself, sorry for the fingerprints lol I couldn't help myself.

Ignore the Biturbo heater, that's going on the RX later

I'm planning on getting this baby on in the coming weeks.

Lexmex (or anyone else ) do you know if the engine note from our RX300's would improve if we replaced that 65 foot resonator or is it already straight through? I know a straight pipe would make it obnoxiously loud and nasty. Also how's your new kitty?

-tc
Old 03-11-07, 03:14 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey. I was wondering when you get the muffler on if you could please do share the sound note of your car? Thanks so much.
Old 03-11-07, 04:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Would I would do first is see how you like it with just the Magnaflow itself.

As I recall that resonator was a straight thru (and due to its size) that is why it kept everything quiet.

I got rid of it because weighed a ton.
Old 03-11-07, 10:17 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that is a clean looking muffler. post some pics when its installed. im thinking of purchasing the same one.
Old 03-11-07, 10:32 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the crap@zz pics earlier, and these aren't much better but they show off the muffler a bit more. I'll definitely have sound/vid/pics when I'm done with the install.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow muffler