RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Where to buy Castrol 0W-30 in CA east bay/San Francisco area

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 09:10 PM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Castrol 0W-30 in CA east bay/San Francisco area

Hi,
Has anyone from northern california been able to find the GC 0w-30? My local autozone does not carry it. Thanks.
Old 03-09-07, 10:53 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Many but not all Autozone carry GC. Just call around. BTW, it is on sale now.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post844588
Old 03-11-07, 11:54 AM
Bobk528
Rookie

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Many but not all Autozone carry GC. Just call around. BTW, it is on sale now.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post844588
I went to AutoZone this morning after reading this thread and they are all out of stock because a number of customers recently made a run and took the entire supply.
Old 03-11-07, 12:57 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bobk528
I went to AutoZone this morning after reading this thread and they are all out of stock because a number of customers recently made a run and took the entire supply.
Considering Lexmex is paying $30 per quart in Mexico for GC, $4.49 per quart plus Autozone Reward too good a deal on a great oil.
The clerk at my local Autozone stores the shelf on Sunday afternoon, so call again tonight and see if the new supply truck come at your area.
BTW, GC is one of the few OTC pure synthetic, with Toyota admitting 1mz-fe design flaw, IMHO the fake synthetic stuff just won't offer additional protection against higher temperature in the cam head, which tends to cook oil.
Old 03-11-07, 02:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The GC has more than paid for itself (MPG, keeping my RX cool and consistent in $$$ bracket races). Happy to report I passed my emissions test the other day with fly colors and my HC counts were down over 10 points into the teens compared to last time (partially due to running GC) and that is running a single high flow cat

My father and my buddy with the RX7 who lives nearby him in DC/VA did find it. You can ask the Autozone dealer itself to request it or try to find out from Castrol who the local distributor (the one who brings it to Autozone) as it oftentimes does not come to Autozone directly from Autozone itself.

TunedRX300 mentioned what I am paying and down here only BMW carries this oil and they are well aware of the price as I have heard from one other racing buddy who put in his Neon SRT-4 (a popular racing vehicle down here) and he won't touch another oil other than GC despite the cost.
Old 03-11-07, 05:23 PM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I called around and found it. 4.49 a qt! On sale until april 4. Make sure you use the rewards program. After 5 separate transactions of >20, you get a $20 gift certificate. Make sure you divide up your purchase into 5 transactions.
Old 03-11-07, 07:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Adding an slightly oversize filter (Wix 51516 or equivalent), which has the same bypass valve PSI, inner diameter, just 1.4" longer and adding 1/10 quart to the sump. You will have probably the best protection from OTC parts.

I looked for a long time to find an oil/filter combo to safely reach RX300's recommended 7500 miles maintenance interval under normal driving condition. GC is the answer and $30 parts cost for a DIY oil change is a good bargain. I will follow up with an used oil analysis after 8K to verify what others have reported.

Wix 51516 can be bought at Napa Auto Parts under the Napa Gold brand. The equivalent FRAM part # is 3600, I would use only XG3600, not the TG/EG junk for extended interval.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-15-07 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 08:07 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
BTW, GC is one of the few OTC pure synthetic, with Toyota admitting 1mz-fe design flaw, IMHO the fake synthetic stuff just won't offer additional protection against higher temperature in the cam head, which tends to cook oil.
I hate to open this can of worms... so I'll try to make my question specific.

In your opinion, does stock* Mobil 1 Synthetic oil fall in your "fake" category?
* ignore "extended performance" or "clean 7500".

Onto the can... which oils do you consider "pure synthetic?"
Old 03-14-07, 10:03 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OKmechanic
I hate to open this can of worms... so I'll try to make my question specific.

In your opinion, does stock* Mobil 1 Synthetic oil fall in your "fake" category?
* ignore "extended performance" or "clean 7500".

Onto the can... which oils do you consider "pure synthetic?"
Both base oil and additive package are important for make a good oil. However, an oil with a superior base oil (e.g. Group IV PAO or Group V Ester) enjoys a performance advantage over Group III if everyone has similiar additive blends.
Also if an oil company quietly substitutes cheaper base oil, how does one know it does not cheapen up on the additive pack?

On M1, I think it is likely that current SM rated 0w20 and 0w30 are still using PAO or Group IV base oil because the low temerature pump requirements. The older SL oil are pure synthetic.
GC is the only PAO based synthetic in Castrol's lineup.
Amsoil's non-XL oils are pure synthetic.
Redline's oil are ester based Group IV, also considered synthetic.

At the end of the day, why would one care? For other engines, one do not need oxidation resistance property. In fact, my Acura's current fill is Amsoil XLM 5w-20, a group III oil because the engine is bullet proof. But for 1mz-fe I would put only older M1 or GC for sludge protection. Plus I want better mpg at startup and safely reach longer oil change interval of 7.5K. Other folks such as Lexmex needs better flash point protection due to his racing habits.
Old 03-14-07, 10:11 PM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the recommendations!
Im curious... how did we find out that Mobil 1 has began to substitute group 3 base oil in some of their grades?
Old 03-14-07, 10:51 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dfish
Thanks for the recommendations!
Im curious... how did we find out that Mobil 1 has began to substitute group 3 base oil in some of their grades?
It is part rumor, part fact.

Here is a quick and dirty summary on the rumor part:
Two professionals, including a VP from Hatco, with access to Gas Chromatology (another GC !) posted on BITOG the test results of M1 5w-30EP and 15w-50 EP in Oct 06, both weights showed Group III as the main base oil.

Now the fact part:
Mobil sued Castrol in 1999, because BP used the word "synthetic" to market its Syntec oil, which were based on Group III mineral oil refined from petrolum crude. Mobil lost the lawsuit, therefore, anyone can legally market Group III oil as synthetic in the U.S.
Mobil Japan has listed "hydroprocessed", which is another word for highly refined Group III, as content on 5w30 weight oil. In Europe and Japan, it is considered false advertising to market Group III as synthetic oil.

Now you connect the dots and believe what you want. Including why would one pay $6 plus per quart premium price on an oil that is probably not that premium in performance. How ironic that Castrol may indeed have a superior product for less $.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-15-07 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 09:23 AM
dfish
Driver School Candidate

Thanks TunedRX300!
Gas chromotography doesnt lie.

Its pretty outrageous that US courts will allow this false advertising.

I saw this on mobil's website FAQ on Mobil 1. It didn't specify a date though.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...AQs.aspx#FAQs4

"Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application. "

I guess the catch is INCLUDING PAOs and not ONLY PAOs.
Old 03-15-07, 03:09 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

dfish,
You are right, Exxon Mobil PR department are battle tested, remember Exxon Valdez oil spill? You can say they are very slippery when it comes to playing with words, perhaps even more than M1 oil XOM makes!
To be fair, Shell (Pennzoil), BP (Castrol) also use Group III in their premium "synthetic" oil. Since Hurricane Katrina, PAO price has increased and it makes business sense to use a slightly inferior base oil to boost profit margin. Increase in raw material makes PAO based oil almost extinct now, especially from non-boutique, OTC source such as Autozone.
BP and Shell are more open than XOM, they do not "hide" the switch from Group III to Group IV. Amsoil has suffered many negative publicity due to its MLM marketing scheme, but its tech support openly answers their customers about usage of Group III oil in its XL line of oil.
My take is consumers see transparency, not much credibility will be lost. But XOM will lose a customer forever if he feels "bait and switch" is done.
For example, Lexmex found out his RX300 was burning M1 EP oil mysterically since the start of 2006, now he is willing to pay $30 per quart for GC. One can say probably 90% of RX owners care less and XOM owns a commanding 60% market share in PCMO, but those who care will probably never go back to buy another M1 product. Plus they will tell their friends and family. Just my $0.02

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-15-07 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 08:53 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read through all the posts so far guys...I am still completely lost but slightly educated...I have been running Castrol's "Synthetic blend" I believe through my mechanic..he lets me choose what to put in my car from whatever he has...so he popped in a Mighty oil filter (supposedly an oil filter only available to 'professional techs')...along with some Synthetic Castrol oil that the BMW's use now (or at least he told me the new BMW's use the exact oil)...Well I am due for my next oil change...and I want to make sure i get the REAL synthetic oil...so which viscosity do I get...I have about 100,000 miles (I am about to hit the mark...so painful seeing me hit the 6 digits...argh...)I know I should get the German Castrol 0wXX oil...but right now I run 5W-30....so do I purchase some GC 0W-30? And this won't harm my engine correct?

Last edited by rx300s415; 03-22-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 10:03 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Congratulations on reaching 100K, obviously what you have been doing is working fine. I am sure you probably figured out we demand a little more than an ordinary mineral based oil that allows one to start the car, change every 3-5K, and give no major engine problem. Some want a little better mpg at low temperature, some desire high temperature protection, others wish longer oil change interval to save time and environment.

One drawback of any synthetic oil is cost, but it is not an issue with you since you are buying Syntec oil anyway, GC is not more expensive than other Castrol Syntec weights.

If you are the type that want above stated benefits, read the follow FAQ.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post711450

To answer your last question, this Used Oil Analysis showed GC have lower engine wear (even though driven 700 more miles) when compares to Mobil 1 10w-30 in a 2001 Sienna, which has the same 1mz-fe engine as the RX300. Yes, it won't give you problem, in fact, many RX300 owners that used it love it.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...&Number=241614

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-22-07 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to buy Castrol 0W-30 in CA east bay/San Francisco area