RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission problems in 2001 RX300 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:12 AM
NMLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems in 2001 RX300 AWD?

Is the transmission problem common in a 2001 RX300 AWD? i've read a lot of posts regarding the common transmission problem in 99-00 models but haven't heard as much in the 01 models. I have about 75K miles on my RX300now and starting to worry.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 03-16-07, 08:46 AM
anulex
Pole Position

93K on mine. no problems yet
Old 03-16-07, 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

ac7228,

First, I want to welcome you to ClubLexus.

This topic has been raised before in this forum and you can do a search under tranny or transmission along with the word failure.

We have had failures reported, but keep in mind as humans we tend to complain more about when things go wrong than when things go right.
Old 03-30-07, 02:11 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ac7228
Is the transmission problem common in a 2001 RX300 AWD? i've read a lot of posts regarding the common transmission problem in 99-00 models but haven't heard as much in the 01 models. I have about 75K miles on my RX300now and starting to worry.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
My friend Shelby, a service writer at Lexus tells me the transmission failures on the AWD models is common on the 99-01 model years. Lexus switched transmissions for 2002 and beyond and solved the problem. When I was car shopping she said "don't buy an AWD RX 300 manufactured prior to 2002. Also, the oil sludging problem wasn't corrected until late 2001 (due to a wide temperature differential between the block and cylinder heads). The experience with any single car can be good or bad but statistically over a large sample, the incidence of problems is much lower with model years 2002 and newer.
Old 03-30-07, 08:07 AM
NMLexus
Rookie

DetMich1: Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was worried about. I guess I will be selling the RX300 soon.
Old 03-30-07, 09:00 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 Rx300 with 85k on mine. I went through 3 transmissions already. Good thing I got all of them on good will.
Old 03-31-07, 04:39 AM
anulex
Pole Position

I have to ask this question again. How does one person go thru 3 transmissions? Poor Driving Habbits?
Old 03-31-07, 07:03 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
I have to ask this question again. How does one person go thru 3 transmissions? Poor Driving Habbits?
Hey a 40k vehicle should be able to withstand the driving characteristics of anybody. It is possible he had a bad tranny put in like I did from Lexus.
Old 03-31-07, 08:33 AM
firebird1
Driver School Candidate

No problems here. 2001 RX-300 AWD, 102,000 miles, Original Owner.
Old 03-31-07, 10:15 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
Hey a 40k vehicle should be able to withstand the driving characteristics of anybody. It is possible he had a bad tranny put in like I did from Lexus.
Wow. How can I put this mildly? That is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a long time. So the more you pay for a vehicle the stupider you can drive it? No one person should be on the fourth tranny for a car while MOST people are still on the original tranny. The more money I pay for something the better I treat it. That would mean following Lexus’s recommended maintenance regiment. Some people spend they whole life savings on car, and can’t afford to maintain it.
Lexmex races his RX300 and he is not on his 4th tranny. My point, if 1000 people have the identical vehicle and I am only one that has changed my Tranny 4xs, then the problem is not the tranny. MY driving habits are. As regular on this site, I have seen one or two pop with a tranny issue. IMHO there are not nearly enough complaints to consider it a major issue. However, I have seen 1 or 2 persons who comment on the site saying they have been through 3 or 4 transmissions.
Old 03-31-07, 10:28 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Wow. How can I put this mildly? That is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a long time. So the more you pay for a vehicle the stupider you can drive it? No one person should be on the fourth tranny for a car while MOST people are still on the original tranny. The more money I pay for something the better I treat it. That would mean following Lexus’s recommended maintenance regiment. Some people spend they whole life savings on car, and can’t afford to maintain it.
Lexmex races his RX300 and he is not on his 4th tranny. My point, if 1000 people have the identical vehicle and I am only one that has changed my Tranny 4xs, then the problem is not the tranny. MY driving habits are. As regular on this site, I have seen one or two pop with a tranny issue. IMHO there are not nearly enough complaints to consider it a major issue. However, I have seen 1 or 2 persons who comment on the site saying they have been through 3 or 4 transmissions.
First of all. I dont like how you can even judge me when you dont even know me at all. I drive fine and like any normal person. Yeah you're right its an expensive car so you should treat it with respect and care. I wash my car every week inside and out taking at least 2 hours. And I take it to maintenance when I had it under maintenance. Now I just take it to the shops for oil change, tune ups, etc. I lost my transmission the second time due to bad transmission fluid that was placed in their by Lexus. (This was on the second one) First one is cause the gears were bad. First one was under warranty second one was on good will. Let me restate this I'm on my 3rd not 4th. So don't judge people so quick when you don't even know them. You have no right to just blurt out that stuff you had said about me.
Old 03-31-07, 10:37 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bloo1987
First of all. I dont like how you can even judge me when you dont even know me at all. I drive fine and like any normal person. Yeah you're right its an expensive car so you should treat it with respect and care. I wash my car every week inside and out taking at least 2 hours. And I take it to maintenance when I had it under maintenance. Now I just take it to the shops for oil change, tune ups, etc. I lost my transmission the second time due to bad transmission fluid that was placed in their by Lexus. (This was on the second one) First one is cause the gears were bad. First one was under warranty second one was on good will. Let me restate this I'm on my 3rd not 4th. So don't judge people so quick when you don't even know them. You have no right to just blurt out that stuff you had said about me.
WOAH What did i say about u? Ok so now you explain. You made it seem as if the transmissions were the issue. The 1st transmission was Lexus Junk. That tranny obviously had a a problem. The second had in the wrong tranny fluid and destroyed a good tranny. You are on the 3rd one with no problem. By stating that you have been through 3 transmissions made it seem as if the Trannies were defective and you are now on your 4th. You are on your third transmission because some dude at the dealer put the wrong transmission fluid it.

Last edited by anulex; 03-31-07 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 11:48 AM
Zoom
Driver School Candidate

Hey AC7228, just caught your message concerning transmission problems.
I have a 03 RX300 with 144000KMs on it, and now the U-joints went. First I heard a tapping noise a month ago when the vehicle was slowing down. It sounded like it was coming from under the seat. later that week I was accelerating onto the 403 when I heard and felt a large banging. I immediately pulled over to the closest garage/gas station and the mechanic told me it the u-joints have come out of the sleeve. He than referred me to Mr. Transmission from which that mechanic said the vehicle was not road worthy due to the fact that the u-joint was shot.
He told me this problem is very common in the RX 300 especially vehicles driven in canada where there is lots of snow. He said Lexus Rx u-joints are slightly too small for the vehicle ratio and strength of the engine, and especially if it is driven on snow alot.
Anyway he has fixed a few RX300's and he has noticed that the u-joints commonly blow at between 100,000-150,000 kms.
Other than the U-joint problem the transmission is in very good condition.
I hope this helps with your question.
Old 03-31-07, 12:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Before things get worse, may I suggest a cool off period ....

Just resist the urge to reply immediately.

We have yet to see the statiscal failure number for transmission on RX {based on year and drive type}. Till that time, if you are not impacted, the number is assumed low and if you are impacted; who cares what the faulire rate is.

My personal view point is, every thing has a weak link. It seems the weak link for RX is its transmission. How weak is it? For me not weak enough for me to change my maintenance habits. Quite a few here have opted to change their maintenance schedule and process and based on this thread atleast one wants to sell his RX.

Zoom's cv joints going bad is my FIRST read on cv joints problem on RX.

Salim
Old 03-31-07, 05:03 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Thats what you said. Dont assume I have poor driving habits cause I'm on my 3rd transmission. 2nd transmission had bad transmission fluid in it. Thought Lexus would of switched it when they put a new one in the first time.
So basically what I quoted you assume I drive bad or abuse my car.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems in 2001 RX300 AWD?