RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Photo DIY 4: RX300 AC/Alternator Belt Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 04:23 AM
sfitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just saw the pictures now of the straight on approach thru front of RX with extensions after my previous post. I'm thinging that is best method on the adjusting bolt. I also saw this on a YouTube where the extension comes mysteriously creeping in to turn the bolt. Had no clue on the set-up until the forum. Thanks to all!
Old 09-10-19, 12:55 PM
dugoram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Correct Part No. for OEM Belts

I've read a lot of the complaints regarding the squeaking belts and how important it is to stick to OEM for these. Can someone list the OEM part numbers for 2001 (build date 10/00 if that matters).
Old 02-21-20, 03:59 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question as the startup belt squeal lasts progressively longer now.
I want to tighten up the belt a bit.

Is it necessary to loosen up the pivot bolt or I can just go straight to loosening the adjusting lock bolt + adjusting bolt?
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-21-20)
Old 02-21-20, 06:52 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

You have to loosen the pivot too.
Old 02-22-20, 08:44 AM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

All binding attachments must be loose (not floppy- but loose so that the alternator can move). Then use the change in length to push the alternator away creating tension in the belt. Once the right tension is achieved lock down (per spec) each of the attachment points. Just in case you try to change the length of the tension adjustment without loosening the anchors, you will most likely break the tensioner (it is made of zinc alloy).

Once the belt starts slirpingng and not attended immediately, shine develops and the friction coefficient changes. In simple terms, just replace the belt at that time. Not worth doing the work twice .. specially if the belt has had some years.

Lot of people wing it but there is a specified tension for new and used (after 10 mins of use) on the drive belt. I have always used those numbers and never had the belt issue or bearings issue on all components the belt drives.

Salim
Old 02-26-20, 03:54 PM
stomas5688
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC pressure switch replacement

Hey gang, can anyone help me with directions on finding ac pressure switch and how to replace it properly? ‘03 RX300 — is there anything on YouTube y’all suggest I follow? Thanks guys

Last edited by stomas5688; 02-26-20 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add
Old 07-27-20, 11:34 AM
SMOKER1971
Driver School Candidate

A lot of you seem to be having problems with accessing the bolts or nuts in close spaces and turning them. I have a easy solution, I am sure all of you just like myself have been getting cheap tool sets for years from the family or friends and have spare sockets and socket wrenches. Here's what you do, take a old or never used 1/4 3/8 1/2 or the whole set of three and cut the handle off about 3/4 a inch from where the head stops with a grinder then smooth the mini shank that's left with grinder/file/sander to remove burrs and presto easy 3 piece set of mini finger wrenches.
Old 10-29-20, 06:19 AM
lexirx300
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with putting alternator back on

I could really use some help. I'm replacing my alternator. So far I have the old one out and the new one kind of in but I have 2 bolts in the back and I'm not sure how those go. There doesn't seem to be a place for the second one to go.im on my own here and have to do things myself so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lexirx300; 10-29-20 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Fixing typos
Old 10-29-20, 07:34 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

That adjusting bolt is a pain. There aren't any great pictures in this thread because it is a miserable spot to work in

First, did you carefully compare the pully on the alternator that came out with the one you are putting in? There are two models with different pully sizes
This one is 58mm https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...56a/19850518-P
This one is 65mm https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...44a/15850007-P

Put the alternator in place.
Put the top pivot bolt in.
Put the belt on
With one hand pull the alternator up as far as it will go.
With your other two baby size hands get that block into place, feed the fastening bolt through the alternator, and wiggle things around until the bolt finds the bolt hole.
Finger tighten the bolt, then use the adjusting screw to adjust the belt tension.
Then tighten the fastening bolt

Good luck. I hate that task. But I think I made it worse my previous time using the bigger pulley size. I do not know if it is always ok to use the smaller one.

Old 10-29-20, 07:48 AM
lexirx300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
That adjusting bolt is a pain. There aren't any great pictures in this thread because it is a miserable spot to work in

First, did you carefully compare the pully on the alternator that came out with the one you are putting in? There are two models with different pully sizes
This one is 58mm https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...56a/19850518-P
This one is 65mm https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...44a/15850007-P

Put the alternator in place.
Put the top pivot bolt in.
Put the belt on
With one hand pull the alternator up as far as it will go.
With your other two baby size hands get that block into place, feed the fastening bolt through the alternator, and wiggle things around until the bolt finds the bolt hole.
Finger tighten the bolt, then use the adjusting screw to adjust the belt tension.
Then tighten the fastening bolt

Good luck. I hate that task. But I think I made it worse my previous time using the bigger pulley size. I do not know if it is always ok to use the smaller one.
hey it's me and I dont know how to reply to you so I hit quote. Anyway the. Stupid guy at eurozone tried to give me a 80 amp alternator that was smaller then mine both manager and employee tried to make me believe that 80 amps was enough to run my electrical. I finally told them I wasn't buying it and then a spark must have fired in the managers brain and he asked if I had an Es. I have an rx300 1999. Anyway I had the old one with me and compared them to make sure. Ok I'm getting back to it. If i had an extra set of hands i could have done it by now.
Old 10-29-20, 08:29 AM
lexirx300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexirx300
hey it's me and I dont know how to reply to you so I hit quote. Anyway the. Stupid guy at eurozone tried to give me a 80 amp alternator that was smaller then mine both manager and employee tried to make me believe that 80 amps was enough to run my electrical. I finally told them I wasn't buying it and then a spark must have fired in the managers brain and he asked if I had an Es. I have an rx300 1999. Anyway I had the old one with me and compared them to make sure. Ok I'm getting back to it. If i had an extra set of hands i could have done it by now.
I tried I just don't have the strength to hold it up while trying to, blindly, find the hole it goes into. I have been trying to do this since 7:30 this motning and i just cant get it to line up enough to get the bolt in. Anybody here live near lake city florida? I wonder if i can maybe pull it up and prop something under it. Humm I'll try that.
Old 10-29-20, 01:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by lexirx300
I tried I just don't have the strength to hold it up while trying to, blindly, find the hole it goes into. I have been trying to do this since 7:30 this motning and i just cant get it to line up enough to get the bolt in. Anybody here live near lake city florida? I wonder if i can maybe pull it up and prop something under it. Humm I'll try that.
You must be fighting something which you should not be. Make sure the adjustment bolt is turned to give you maximum play. Do not put the belt on and loosely mount the alternator with the two fasteners. The alternator at this time should have plenty of movement. Make sure you have the right belt and put that on (you may have to hold the alternator as you ry to thread the belt. Once the belt is on, gently tighten the two fasteners to remove the slop, but they should be loose to allow the movement to take-up belt slack. Now spin the tensioner .. use the hole by the radiator if you have long ratchet attachment. Once you get the right tension, torque down the two fasters and lock up the tensioner.

Salim
Old 10-29-20, 03:13 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
You must be fighting something which you should not be. Make sure the adjustment bolt is turned to give you maximum play. Do not put the belt on and loosely mount the alternator with the two fasteners. The alternator at this time should have plenty of movement. Make sure you have the right belt and put that on (you may have to hold the alternator as you ry to thread the belt. Once the belt is on, gently tighten the two fasteners to remove the slop, but they should be loose to allow the movement to take-up belt slack. Now spin the tensioner .. use the hole by the radiator if you have long ratchet attachment. Once you get the right tension, torque down the two fasters and lock up the tensioner.

Salim
I was unable to get the belt off or on with the lower alternator fastener in place and the adjustment bolt retracted.
If I could it would have been a lot easier.

Old 10-29-20, 05:12 PM
lexirx300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
OMG I don't have a clue as to what you're saying and I still don't have it fixed and I am so angry with that stupid bolt. I can't get them to line up while I'm holding the alternator and those two bolts hook together kind of and they wiggle around so much I can't keep it straight. I have to be doing something wrong here because I can't imagine it taking anybody several hours and still not get the bolt in. I should have paid more attention when I took it out. It is the shorter bolt that bolts into the alternator right? I just don't know what to do. The teenager next door couldn't do it either.
Old 10-29-20, 05:17 PM
lexirx300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
You have to loosen the pivot too.
I've did everything, I have loosened it, taken it off, tightened it up. I tried to prop the alternator up with a rock, I yelled at it prayed for it and even sat on the ground and cried to it and still I can't match them up. This is crazy If it wasn't for that stupid bolt I would be driving again. And as far as whoever designed this **** to where even a woman's hands don't fit needs to be hung.

Quick Reply: Photo DIY 4: RX300 AC/Alternator Belt Adjustment