RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

The Screw-Job Never Ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 10:04 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Screw-Job Never Ends

Yesterday I took my wife's 2000 RX300 in to one of the three Toyota dealers in our area for a repair estimate. They told me that Toyota NOW will not permit a Toyota dealer to perform ANY service/repair on ANY Lexus, any model, any year, for anyone. They're getting tired of Lexus owners getting a better deal at the Toyota dealer on service/repairs. So much for freedom of choice. It would be like GM telling a Chevrolet dealer that they can't service a Cadillac. Thanks Toyota. You made our next vehicle choice easier!
Old 03-31-07, 10:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps that Toyota dealership is also owned by a Lexus dealer. Try another Toyota.

I do my oil change at Toyota all the time. Never a hassle. They were also happy to give me a quote for my 90K service, though I decided to go with Lexus. (Toyota is $40 less, but with a third-party loaner. Lexus gave me a new RX350.)
Old 03-31-07, 10:29 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

This particular Toyota dealership isn't owned by the person who owns the only two Lexus dealerships within 2-hours drive. I was told it is NOW Toyota's corporate policy.
Old 03-31-07, 10:34 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

I am due for another oil change in a month. I'll let you know.
Old 04-01-07, 03:50 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

I have my Lexus serviced at a local Toyota dealership which co-incidentally also owns a Lexus dealership and never any hastles.... Maybe its because they are a new Toyota dealership which just opened up less than a year ago and need the business... Don't know...

I do know that they originally tried to charge more than toyota rates due to it being a non Toyota vehicle... I laughed and said "yah right, I don't think so"... I told the service manager that Lexus' head office was located at One Toyota Place, in Scarborough Ontario, Canada... I rest my case!

If you brought your Ford in to a Toyota dealership would they turn that service down? Just give it a shot and bring another brand into a Toyota dealership and see... If they do, I would say you have a serious issue with Lexus/ Toyota corporate, where they refuse to service the vehicles they make... Almost sounds like legal ramifications are in order
Old 04-01-07, 05:44 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why would you buy a Lexus in the first place if you are concerned about cheap service? Luxury cars with all of the bells and whistles are considerably more complex than a Aveo - and they will cost you considerably more to maintain. Lexus never entered the business to compete with the service down at Wal-mart. They won't be a price leader in any market. Somehow, somewhere you pay for the free lattes, plush waiting rooms, free loaner cars, and meticulous service - just don't expect Wal-mart pricing.

Also, it's their company, by letting Toyota dealerships service a Lexus (where both dealership are available) they undermine their Lexus dealers by offering similar service at a reduced shop rate, but are still required to warrant that work. Would you have a Mercedes serviced by your Dodge dealer? More important, would the Benz boys be willing to stand behind the work of a shop that services Jeeps? I fail to see how this is a "screw-job". You pay your money and you take your choice.

Now, if you are unhappy with the price you are charged at Lexus, it's time to strike out on your own and find an independent garage. Surely there is a good shop in your area - perhaps even one that specializes in Lexus. I've not needed to find one yet, because I've had minimal problems with my RX's - but I know a GREAT Honda specialty shop where I had my Hondas serviced. They did beautiful work, for slightly less money than the incompetent grease monkeys at the Honda dealerships. Ask around - there are plenty of good independent shops out there!
Old 04-01-07, 06:02 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Perhaps that Toyota dealership is also owned by a Lexus dealer. Try another Toyota.

I do my oil change at Toyota all the time. Never a hassle. They were also happy to give me a quote for my 90K service, though I decided to go with Lexus. (Toyota is $40 less, but with a third-party loaner. Lexus gave me a new RX350.)
Yea, I love those great loaners - good way to really test drive a new model on your own! Still going to Lexus for service I figure they have the expertise on the car - so far nothing much wrong though to fix - it's a Lexus!!
Old 04-01-07, 07:27 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

As of last week my Toyota dealer still services my Rx with no questions asked. I find this a great way to get the same high quality service (minus the loaner and fancy waiting room) and save significant $. Last major service I had them do is timing belt for a little over $300. I don't mind paying if I see value in it but what Lexus service is doing in some cases is almost criminal.
Lexus did do all my warranty work and most reccently the free HID anti theft kit and I have no problem with the service they provide. However, if I am paying for service, when I do the math the "free" loaner is really the most expensive rental in town.
Old 04-01-07, 08:07 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOWTIE 3
Yesterday I took my wife's 2000 RX300 in to one of the three Toyota dealers in our area for a repair estimate. They told me that Toyota NOW will not permit a Toyota dealer to perform ANY service/repair on ANY Lexus, any model, any year, for anyone. They're getting tired of Lexus owners getting a better deal at the Toyota dealer on service/repairs. So much for freedom of choice. It would be like GM telling a Chevrolet dealer that they can't service a Cadillac. Thanks Toyota. You made our next vehicle choice easier!
thats simply not true. your toyota dealer has given you bad info there my friend.
Old 04-01-07, 10:17 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday I took my wife's 2000 RX300 in to one of the three Toyota dealers in our area for a repair estimate. They told me that Toyota NOW will not permit a Toyota dealer to perform ANY service/repair on ANY Lexus, any model, any year, for anyone.
I don't know where in Virginia you live. I'm in Arlington, Virginia. I used to get my oil changed at Jack Taylor Toyota. They became Lexus-hostile about 2 years ago. I've been going to Koons Arlington Toyota (just last week for an oil change) and they've been Lexus-friendly. I've never asked them to do anything other than simple engine stuff (where no Lexus-specific parts are involved).
Old 04-01-07, 10:58 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Yea same thing with me, give them all a finger and go to an independent that specializes in Lexus / Toyota. Now they get NONE of my money.

They can't service you, but you go to a lexus dealer and they give you a cheap *** Toyota for a loaner. Gee thanks, nice double standard.
Old 04-01-07, 04:42 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD

Watch out for this one, where the Lexus gives you a reasonable quote because he knows he can get you for additional $ once he has your car. Looks like he got you for unnecessary brake job:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273888
So in reality your free loaner was the most expensive rental in town.