RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

transmission died

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 01:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bring this up on every tranny failure, here in San Diego, we have a salvage yard that will take out your blown tranny and put in one from a wreck for around $1000. You can check the milage on the ODO, and if it fails it has a warranty. So that might be another option, we've used them on a Previa that lost its tranny at 150k, and it is now at 220k. We also did the same for a old Honda Accord at again, about 150k. So whats another $1000 to drive it another 50-100k miles.
Old 04-05-07, 02:30 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

turbo1,
you have not indicated whether the problem has been professionally diagnosed as a "dead trani".

This is your first step. There are a few other possibilities which are not so costly on the pocketbook that could be causing problems ie, fluid level, solinoids, trani computer, etc... Have the problem properly diagnosed, then that will give you a better idea of the angle of attack.

In my case the local Toyota Dealership had a master tech which in 2005 was one of the top techs in Canada and was able to conclude mechanical failure of internal component.. In my case it was going to cost $1000 to provide me with a proper estimate, however, that estimate was applied to the repairs since I had them proceed with the work.

I had recourse with Lexus Canada in my instance since I had the repair done at Toyota and I had service records to prove the vehicle had always been serviced as per manufacturer's recommendations. I also had a great service manager at the Toyota dealership (Luigi) who went to bat for me in that he said to the Lexus Canada rep. "once the customer has the car serviced as per your recommendations, that's all they can do, at that point they are at the mercy of the manufacturer".

Lexus Canada honoured 1/2 my cost of repairs $3800 CAD .

NOTE: my rear main seal went 2 weeks after the trani overhaul... I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU HAVE IT ALSO DONE FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED EXTRA BUCKS, while the trani is out!

The overhaul kit for my vehicle came from California and cost $795 CAD, the balance of the cost was labour and fluid...

Good Luck!
Fern

Last edited by Fern; 04-07-07 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 05:50 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
that is not fair, The way these trannies fail, you have no warning sometimes.Mine failied with no warning signs, and it had fluid changes every 30k miles, more than what the Lexus dealership or service manual recommended. He still got a nice car for a fair price, but didnt do his homework to discover the tranny potential failures. Get it repaired at an independent, and enjoy the car, sorry about your misfortune, been there, done that, but I got soaked by Lexus of Roseville, Ca for $4400 and poor quality to boot. Dont forget to file a complaint with the NHTS Board, the list is growing. You will need your vin number to do so...
Of course it's fair, she told him she had had the car maintained at Lexus but never had anything done but oil changes...no 30...no 60...no 90. Of course there an element of buyer beware but there's also a telephone to make your displeasure at being deceived known.
Old 04-05-07, 08:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I bring this up on every tranny failure, here in San Diego, we have a salvage yard that will take out your blown tranny and put in one from a wreck for around $1000. You can check the milage on the ODO, and if it fails it has a warranty. So that might be another option, we've used them on a Previa that lost its tranny at 150k, and it is now at 220k. We also did the same for a old Honda Accord at again, about 150k. So whats another $1000 to drive it another 50-100k miles.
Which salvage yard? I live in SD and if my tranny fails, i'd like a few options
Old 04-06-07, 01:22 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to know someone that worked at a lexus dealer and he told me about how a lot of rx300 trannys would die around 100K and cost a lot to repiar. my mechanic confirmed this and told me to sell my rx300 quick. so i sold my rx300 at 92k
Old 04-06-07, 06:06 AM
anulex
Pole Position

How come i am hearing bout the RX300 tranny failures? if the Highlander has the same drivetrain, why arent those failing?
Old 04-06-07, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
How come i am hearing bout the RX300 tranny failures? if the Highlander has the same drivetrain, why arent those failing?
They came out 2 years later for the 2001 model year and I suspect some changes may have been made by then.

Probably the best forum to check out would be the Highlander forum at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/f83

I should add that most of the Harriers and Klugers that I saw on my trip to Jamaica last week were 2.4 L variety, which I think a transmission of our type could easily support unlike the 1MZFE, and most of those in Asia are of that variety or the 2.2 L in the case of the first Harriers.
Old 04-06-07, 07:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
There software and some hard ware changes were made on the later year transmissions. It is discussed in great deal on the other LEXUS site....
Old 04-06-07, 09:18 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Which salvage yard? I live in SD and if my tranny fails, i'd like a few options
All Toyota Lexus in Otay Mesa.
Old 04-07-07, 05:21 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There software and some hard ware changes were made on the later year transmissions. It is discussed in great deal on the other LEXUS site....
Now that you mention it, the Toyota Master tech that worked on my RX trani said the my vehilce would not accept any software update due to its year..

If the software is the issue, that may very well be why the Highlander V6awd have not had the trani issues some Rx's have.

Anyone have input on what sort of software update, or what exactly is the new software making the trani do?
Old 04-07-07, 07:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Go to LEXUsownersclub.com their are lots of writeups by a poster called west. He seems to know a lot about the changes that the RX has gone through. He tends to be quite technical, but very logical.
Old 04-07-07, 08:41 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Go to LEXUsownersclub.com their are lots of writeups by a poster called west. He seems to know a lot about the changes that the RX has gone through. He tends to be quite technical, but very logical.
I miss wwest on this board.

Salim
Old 04-07-07, 08:53 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Now that you mention it, the Toyota Master tech that worked on my RX trani said the my vehilce would not accept any software update due to its year..

If the software is the issue, that may very well be why the Highlander V6awd have not had the trani issues some Rx's have.

Anyone have input on what sort of software update, or what exactly is the new software making the trani do?
Fern:

Firmware on transmission gets input froma various sensors (operating temp, engine rpm, throttle position, shift lever position, incline ... going uphill or downhill [lexus uses incline .. at least I think so], mode (snow, economy), overdrive, current gear etc AND based on these inputs decides for you which gear to engage. Also when to fall into fail-safe mode (limp).

With driving experience limited to FWD, the only and only issue I have experienced is that transmission deos not let me go into high gear till it is warmed up. No jerky shifts or failure to shift. [On RX330 models some have complained about this and there is a software patch available].

Again, with my limited knowledge, the software does not seem to be the problem. We all understand the cold behaviour ... and potentailly the damage caused by inapproriate driver behaviour (who do not drive slow till the transmission warms up).

If only a failing component is repeatedly identified by Failure analysis group and more so shared by Lexus, we are all shooting in the dark.

Salim

edit add on:
I have only once experienced RX reluctance to speed up on kick down .. which I have attributed to track kicking in.
Old 04-07-07, 03:29 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
I miss wwest on this board.

Salim
thank you, that is his post name...
Old 04-07-07, 03:33 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

West says that there may have been a different transmission pump in later models and that earlier RX were programmed for fuel economy, hince the constant search for a higher gear when overdrive is not defeated. This puts a lot of strain on the clutches, and gears in general. please read his entries on the other site.

Quick Reply: transmission died