RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to stiffen suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 06:53 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tires

Originally posted by willard west
"Every time I make a quick turn there is so much body roll."

TC, LexRX,

So, tell me, just how do you guys, setting in the drivers seat during a quick turn, tell the difference between "body roll" and tire sidewall "compression" on the outside of the turn and "lift" on the inside?

Lean out the window and have a look?
If you can't feel your car leaning sideways in a turn (that's bodyroll, by the way) then maybe you shouldn't be in the driver seat in the first place.

Let me introduce some ideas on the extreme: Take a car that has the stiffest suspension. Maybe even NO movement in the suspension. You put a fat set of tires on that thing and swing it into a turn it won't have any body roll. Take another vehicle, one with a real "floaty" suspension with low-profile tires. You push that thing into the curve, screw the tires, you're sitting you your rocker panels!

You see the picture? Please, do you see why you are wrong? C'mon it's not that hard!! If you reply to this subject I'll take it as a: "yes, I get it, but won't admit it."

-Nick
Old 01-17-02, 07:53 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Have fun *****, no one wants to play with you anymore.
Old 01-18-02, 10:08 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Tilt! meter

Here we go agin..

You guys can't see the forest for the trees!

Yes, Yes, YES!

Lower sidewalls will not reduce "body roll"!!!

But the "tilting" effect you feel in a tight turn is both due to "body roll" and the outside tire compression and wallowing due to the weight shift to the outside of the vehicle during a tight turn.

How about we try the Coke vs Pepsi test?

Take an RX with welded suspension, NO GIVE, and fat balloon tires and another with the standard suspension and solid rubber tires, no visible indication of which is which, drive each around as many curves as you see fit, and then let you decide which vehicle is which.

Your body's TILTMETER can't tell the difference!
Old 01-18-02, 01:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Tilt! meter

Originally posted by willard west
Here we go agin..

You guys can't see the forest for the trees!

Yes, Yes, YES!

Lower sidewalls will not reduce "body roll"!!!

But the "tilting" effect you feel in a tight turn is both due to "body roll" and the outside tire compression and wallowing due to the weight shift to the outside of the vehicle during a tight turn.

How about we try the Coke vs Pepsi test?

Take an RX with welded suspension, NO GIVE, and fat balloon tires and another with the standard suspension and solid rubber tires, no visible indication of which is which, drive each around as many curves as you see fit, and then let you decide which vehicle is which.

Your body's TILTMETER can't tell the difference!
I believe you are getting more senile by the day. It's obvious that wheels and tires can help improve cornerning, but that's not the question. What Petrie originally wanted was a way to stiffen the suspension. The wheels and tires will NOT do that. BTW, thanks for admitting you were wrong.

-Nick
Old 01-18-02, 02:17 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Tunnel Vision

If I've now said something that somehow implies I was wrong before then I hereby retract whatever it is you think I said that made you think I said I was wrong before!

In order to make yourselves "right" and me wrong you want to narrow the focus of the "feeling" one gets in a tight turn to just the tilting of the body on the suspension. Well I've got two bits of bad news for you.

When the engineers do the suspension "tuning" and design at the factory the tires are considered a part of the suspension, an ACTIVE part no less.

So you narrowly sighted, tunnel visioned, ladies can "stiffen" your suspension by over-inflating your tires!

But the bottom line, CLEARLY, was that petrie was uncomfortable with the amount of TOTAL "body roll", the amount of TILTING he felt in a tight turn, not just that contributed/restricted by the coil springs and the sway bar.
Old 01-18-02, 06:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Willard, you still don't know why I think you are wrong? Go back and read 5 posts ago. This just proves how narrow your view is, irreguardless of how anyone states anything. I was just showing how you don't really read and digest what others have post, but instead continue ranting on your own. You see and believe what you want. I can't help that.

I'm done with the body roll debate, it don't think its helping Pertie anymore anyway, so what's the use? I could easily continue from your last post and tell you why you are wrong, but why bother.

-Nick
Old 01-19-02, 09:40 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default AGREED

AGREED, enough.