RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 10:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by edbro
I thought T-IV was the recommended fluid. Drivewire.com lists this as the preferred solution and labels it as synthetic.
http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewi...cation=1723935

I also see it as the fluid of choice at this Lexus page:
http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/xm...id_change1.htm

Is there something better than the Toyota T-IV?
The fluid that comes up is Amsoil ATF. There are RX300 owners who do use it in this fourm (I can't get it or have it shipped to Mexico due to red tape), but I have not heard of a single issue from using it...in fact I have heard peope have been quite delighted with this fluid.

I still don't know why Type-IV is labelled synthetic by some.
Old 05-04-07, 11:04 AM
electric13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we've got 175,000 miles on our 2000 RX and we've never touched the tranny fluid. haven't had any problems with the tranny at all.
Old 05-04-07, 12:24 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by mikey00
Did you also open the drain on the transfer case and get the dirty transmission out of there? You should close to another quart.
No I did not, but I will do this when I drain it again on my next oil change. Thanks for the tip Quick question though. Now when I fill up the fluid as usual, will the gauge show me the extra quart that I removed this other way? I don't want to be a quart short.

-Thank you
Old 05-04-07, 12:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by electric13
we've got 175,000 miles on our 2000 RX and we've never touched the tranny fluid. haven't had any problems with the tranny at all.

OoooBoy, this is going to make a few people envy you .. they have kept up with regular amintenance and even then had problems.

Salim
Old 05-04-07, 12:29 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by electric13
am I glad to hear this!!!
Old 05-04-07, 01:18 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
No I did not, but I will do this when I drain it again on my next oil change. Thanks for the tip Quick question though. Now when I fill up the fluid as usual, will the gauge show me the extra quart that I removed this other way? I don't want to be a quart short.

-Thank you

When you say gauge, I suspect you mean dipstick, right....

If your refering to dipstick, yes, the dipstick level is connected to the transfer case and trani which uses the same fluid containing system.
Old 05-04-07, 05:19 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by Fern
When you say gauge, I suspect you mean dipstick, right....
Yes that's what I meant, sorry, I word just escaped my mind at the moment

Originally Posted by Fern
If your refering to dipstick, yes, the dipstick level is connected to the transfer case and trani which uses the same fluid containing system.
Thanks for the info. This brings me to another question that I could probably find if a search, but lazy :-) so the transfer case takes transmission fluid and no gear oil?
Old 05-04-07, 07:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Gomer1,

Sometimes the term transfer case gets interchanged. Same is true with A/F sensors and O2 sensors. So let me see if I can clear some of this up.

Let me bring up the earlier picture again. On the left there are two drain plugs...one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right you recognize as the one for the transmission that uses ATF fluid (Type IV Toyota). The one on the left is the one that Fern is referring to. This is sometimes called the transfer case or front differential. If you drain this one, ATF will also come out (about .5 L). KEY POINT: Both the transmission and this transfer case or front differential (as I call it) use ATF that is filled up through the transmission fluid dipstick (yellow handle). You pour the ATF in here and it will find its way to both the transmission and transfer case/front differential. They are interconnected.

BUT, I need to bring up something else in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid change-difftran.jpg  
Old 05-04-07, 07:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

In the photo below the areas you just saw in the picture above are in blue.

Now, you see the area in red...well this piece is also known as a transfer case. However, this only exists if you have AWD. It used .9L of 85W90 GL5 Gear Fluid. You can use 75W90 without issue. I like Royal Purple MaxGear, but there are several others out there such as Mobil 1 75W90 gear fluid that is quite popular in this forum and also Amsoil and Redline. I have done a DIY on this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214000 and also the rear differential on the back axle that uses the same fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid change-fluid-areas.jpg  
Old 05-05-07, 03:39 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Lexmex, as usual, thank you very much for the clarification!
I'll be doing those as well this weekend.
Old 05-05-07, 06:26 AM
yeuemhoai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexmex thanks for the pix. I changed both front and rear differential fluid (Toyota brand) at 60K and plan to do it again with Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 05-05-07, 12:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm a big proponent of tranny flushes. I've always done tranny flushes on all of my cars and none have ever had tranny problems (130k, 240k, 180k miles on my previous 3 cars). BTW, i BEAT THE CR@P out of my cars and frequent changes to fluids have always been good to me.
Old 05-06-07, 10:54 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Gomer1,

Sometimes the term transfer case gets interchanged. Same is true with A/F sensors and O2 sensors. So let me see if I can clear some of this up.

Let me bring up the earlier picture again. On the left there are two drain plugs...one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right you recognize as the one for the transmission that uses ATF fluid (Type IV Toyota). The one on the left is the one that Fern is referring to. This is sometimes called the transfer case or front differential. If you drain this one, ATF will also come out (about .5 L). KEY POINT: Both the transmission and this transfer case or front differential (as I call it) use ATF that is filled up through the transmission fluid dipstick (yellow handle). You pour the ATF in here and it will find its way to both the transmission and transfer case/front differential. They are interconnected.

BUT, I need to bring up something else in my next post.
Lex, anything to know in regards to "gotcha's" when draining fluid from both plugs and then filling through dipstick? Is it better to drain after engine is warmed or should it be done cold? Does it matter?

If you drain both, will there be any false positive readings on the dipstick? Or am I over analyzing?

Asking because it seems owners here have a bunch of different ways to take care of their tranny.
Old 05-07-07, 12:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

If you plan to do drain and fill, I would suggest to let the trans cool down, Note that is not cold.

Basically you are waiting for things to form a sediment with some flow. If it is tottaly cold, the sediments might stick to the pan and not flow out, If hot and vigorously stirred the sediments may be tottally mixed and spread out.

If you plan to take the pan off, then cold and cooled will give you the same results.

The transmission fluid circuit connects the two chambers (and many others). The level is checked with engine running, Step by step instructions were posted before.

Salim
ps: Since my know how is not extensive, you may like to wait and read what others have to say.
Old 05-07-07, 11:54 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is sometimes called the transfer case or front differential. If you drain this one, ATF will also come out (about .5 L).
So what would be the total ATF capacity for an AWD RX300? I just did a drain-n-fill myself (got exactly 4 qts out) because the dealer didn't do it at 90K. Just wonder if I should do another drain-n-fill to get it cleaned up. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change