RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how happy are you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07 | 10:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Default how happy are you?

Mothers day is right around the corner and six years ago when i got my first lexus my mother told me that her favorite car was the RX300. I think she realy likes the look because i don't think she know anything else about the car.
Well, six years later i think i can finally buy this vehicle for her; However, i am thinking twice about buying the RX for her because of the many problems i hear about the RX300 and specialy since it will be a used vehicle.
My question to you guys is, how happy are you with the vehicles you drive? If you could, would you go back and buy something else?
I have not had time to do a lot of reaserch, so a crash course on the pros and cons about the RX300 would help. If you have had problems, let me know if you drive a AWD or FWD, year and milage?

Thanks

Last edited by GS FONZy; 04-24-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-24-07 | 11:25 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
However, i am thinking twice about buying the RX for her because of the many problems i hear about the RX300
This is a sweeping statement, which is totally baseless.

If you take a lrge enough sample, you will find RX to be above average in terms of reliability and owner satisfaction.

It still is a machine with its strong points and weak points. When you are dealing with used, potentially you could be past the warranty period. Since you own another Lexus, you know the repair (parts and labor) is high.

The other factors in used are, prior care and maintenance.

In 120k miles, I have only the starter go out on me. Rest have been tires, pads and battery. Irks have been, fading of plastic moulding around doors and around radio preset buttons. Rest has been regular 7500miles maint done at dealership and additional oil + filter change by me at 3750 miles.

This weekend I was dropping off my friend and he peered over at the odo and said that RX still feels and looks like new. Mine is a 99 Fwd.

Salim
Old 04-25-07 | 05:34 AM
bob2200
Driver

I'm really happy with my 2002 RX300. I think it fits me and my lifestyle really well. Back in 2002, there were no other cars that were even close. Without doing any test-drives, there appear to be a few now in 2007.

My RX has been essentially trouble-free. My biggest complaint is the high cost of dealer maintenance. I plan to counter this by getting parts from discount mailorder Lexus dealers and doing most of the maintenance work myself. I realize that there are fairly-priced Lexus dealers out there, but IMO, none where I live. They've chosen instead to build palacial service centers and have actually raised their prices to pay for them.

Following the maintenance recommendations of this forum, I expect my RX to be as trouble-free as the normal Toyota, which is excellent.
Old 04-25-07 | 06:04 AM
Gomer1
Driver

to be honest with you, after reading what i've read in this forum, just this morning i was considering selling my '01, which I just bought two weeks ago, and go back to another Pathfinder. Yes the Lexus has a beautiful and elegant interior, rides very very nice and confortable, but if the transmission goes, i'll be in the hole for $4K, and they seem to go at my mileage (70K)
Old 04-25-07 | 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Other vehicles, Honda and even Nissan (Pathfinder trannies/transfer cases do go as I don't see too many older ones on the roads here and my uncle mentioned this that they can be expensive to fix) products also have tranny issues. MDX owners have their share of issues with trannies as well. From what I have seen over the years, the 99-00 has had more tranny failures than the more recent 01-03, and this appears to occur more often in the AWD...again this is from what I have seen, but that doesn't mean this is a common occurrence or that it is likely to happen.

Anybody remember that nice picture of the broken transfer case from my friend's Murano at 30K miles I put up last year?

Keep in mind, people tend to say something about a product in order to complain, not sing its praises or joys. In addition, unlike on other SUV forums, we tend to be more hands on and DIY...I prefer to have it this way as complaining accomplishes absolutely zero, but helping does.

I have heard of RX300 owners in other areas of the world even more brutal than my little RX here in Mexico City, but for all of the issues I have to put up with down here, it has weathered the storm down here extremely well, so I have nothing but praise for this vehicle at 120,000 miles.

The really 2 important pieces of maintenance one must do with these vehicle is change the oil and change the tranny fluid, 2 things that are both DIY as we have seen on this forum.
Old 04-25-07 | 06:58 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

As with any maker and models, most do have issues. Personally I feel the RX is an amazing all around reliable vehicle. It was the very first of new cross over line that all makers are now pushing. As for the tranny issue, yes quite a few have had to be replaced, but that number compared to all of the RX 300's in existence is rather small. I personally was a victim of engine oil sludge, but Lexus Corp. stepped up and installed a brand new engine. How many other manufacturers would do that at 105,000 miles? I feel the issues encountered by many are the results of poor previous ownership, such as lack of maintenance or abuse. I bought the wife's RX used, I had proof of my maintenance for 60K and Lexus put the blame of the oil sludge build up on the previous owner not changing oil as per their recomandations. Perhaps the same is true of the tranny's, if not serviced at the recomended intervals during it's life, problems will arise. Hard spirited driving/racing isn't good on any vehicle unless it's built to take it. Just my 2 cents and can you tell, I'm big Lexus fan
Old 04-25-07 | 07:32 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I read there are something like 400,000 RXs on the road since '99 and the real transmission failure rate is well below average based on any government reporting I've been able to find.

There are some *very* vocal posters here and at LOC so we hear far more negative reporting than positive. Every report from "real world" situations, tranny shops, dealers, government reporting sites tell a far different story.

Not to say your transmission won't fail or the engine won't blow up or the AC won't die, it's a car but I think your overall odds with the RX are better than with most cars.

Just make sure the service records are perfect.
Old 04-25-07 | 07:12 PM
tom44vip
Driver School Candidate

I'm in a '99 Rx300, aprox 124k miles, and 19.4 mpg avg.

I have to say that the car has held up very nicely througout the years. I've had no problems, but recently a couple HUD lights have been coming on. I haven't invested anything mechanical in the car, so it defineatly doesn't have the pick-up it used to. But when it was new, it never really was a "fast" car considering the HP it has.

My next car will be a GS300 most likely, only because I want a faster, sportier car now need a break from an SUV.
Old 04-25-07 | 09:12 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

thanks for all your positive comments. i guess now i just have to look for the right RX to buy.
Old 04-26-07 | 06:30 AM
anulex
Pole Position

ALl i can say is buy it from a Lexus/Toyota dealer. They usually have the better used ones and get the extended warranty worked into th price. When have made your best deal. Tell them that now you want an extended warranty because reapirs can be expensive. Watch them work in the warranty some how for an extra $500-1000
Old 04-26-07 | 08:25 AM
salimshah

Bying from dealer has its advantages but keep in mind you are adding a middleman in the transaction. $$ wise you will do better with a private seller. [both for yourself and the private seller]. Usually the used vehicles are as is, so make sure you ask the dealer what you can expect in case of problems.
Salim
Old 04-26-07 | 05:37 PM
Mister P
Driver School Candidate

I have both a '98 GS300 and about two months ago, purchased a '99 RX300 AWD, which my wife drives. It has about 88,100 miles on it; at this mileage, the vehicle still feels solid and is very quiet. I too was wary about buying a used RX after reading this forum, but I was lucky enough to find one that was well taken care of mechanically (cosmetically is another story... the exterior body panels have some damage) and at a great price from my friend at the local Lexus dealer.

Other than a belt that squeals like a banshee (due to be replaced at the 90k service), and a seaping rear main seal, the vehicle is a dream to own and drive. Your mother should be very happy even with a used one. The moral of all of these posts is to do your homework, have the engine checked thoroughly, and remember-- the later model year you can afford, the better. The Lexus warranty for engine sludge is 8 years/unlimited miles from the original date of manufacture (assuming, of course, good service history).

This particular forum is also obviously a great resource for questions or concerns, especially with LexMex's pictures of various engine parts. Let us know what you come up with.