RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

what's too much? wheels and rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 08:39 AM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak about MPG. That all also depends on the weight of the rim you get. Second, ride difference will get a little worse, but not much. When it comes time to sell the car just put the stock rims back on and sell the 22's separate.....
Old 04-30-07, 03:05 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
It's the third one down. If you want to go with a 20x8.5 then fine, but the 22x9 looks SOOOO much cleaner and the ride difference from a 20" to a 22" is not noticeable. In fact, the ride difference from an 18" to a 22" isn't even noticeable, I've ridden in both. Then, get the Tein lowering springs to go with it, it's a must.
Trust me, there IS a noticable difference in ride quality from 18's to 22's. On top of that you will have a hard time finding 22s with the right specs to fit on the RX without any modification. I've tried and have done my research on this for a long time before I got my rims. I have 20's on mine with Tein S-Techs and its my daily driver. The ride quality is nowhere as good as the stock 16s. Now the question is how much you are willing to spend on a wheel setup? Big rims are expensive, not to mention the tires. Even though I'm planning to get 22's, I really wouldnt recommend it if it was to be on your daily driver. You're better off with 20's. 20x8.5 with a +35 offset. Tires = 245/45/20. No rubbing and a close to stock turning radius. That combination will be the closest to stock diameter so your speedometer wont be off. My wheel/tire combo weighs nearly 65 pounds. I think stock is somewhere in the low 50s. With my added weight of 10-15 pounds per wheel, I can feel a very noticable difference in acceleration as well as a big drop in MPG (avg 15 city/19 hwy. down from 19 city/23 hwy when i had stocks)
Old 04-30-07, 07:49 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch i dont really like that idea...i don't want to compromise ride quality or MPG. i really don't want to compromise acceleration either (not a racer or anything, but i like that it has relatively fast pickup. darn...i really like the way the bigger wheels looked :-(
Old 04-30-07, 09:22 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Theres always a tradeoff. u can go for some forged rims. i know they have some that are lighter than stock... but its gonna cost money. Lol, always a tradeoff
Old 04-30-07, 09:29 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

lol yeah i suppose your right. overall, i think that the only thing i would want to do to my tires sometime in the future is possible make them a little bit wider. but my tires are brand new, so I don't want them to be a waste. on my new pair i'll go wider. what's the widest they can be without any rubbing (keeping them at 16 or whatever size my OEM wheels are)?
Old 04-30-07, 10:56 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

I'm not really sure... if you do a search I believe there was a thread on this though
Old 05-01-07, 06:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

The widest they can be on stock rims and tires is a 235-70-16, which is what I have. 245-70-16 CAN rub. 225-70-16 is stock.
Old 05-01-07, 09:07 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
Trust me, there IS a noticable difference in ride quality from 18's to 22's. On top of that you will have a hard time finding 22s with the right specs to fit on the RX without any modification. I've tried and have done my research on this for a long time before I got my rims. I have 20's on mine with Tein S-Techs and its my daily driver. The ride quality is nowhere as good as the stock 16s.
Thank you for telling me him that. LiqrSicc should not be teeling people that the ride quality is harly noticeable. If you love to 'drive' your RX 22s are a no no. Even 20s ride is much different from stock. However, a lot of people are willing to over look this for the bling. If you are not getting chromes, leave the 20s alone
Old 05-01-07, 10:00 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

are there any benefits to increasing tire width (in any aspect)? is there a difference in anything between stock 225-70-16 and 235-70-16? can you feel a difference? what im most curious about, like I mentioned above, is are there any benefits? weather-wise, performance wise, etc.
Old 05-01-07, 11:08 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anulex
Thank you for telling me him that. LiqrSicc should not be teeling people that the ride quality is harly noticeable.
I was telling him the ride IS noticeable
Old 05-01-07, 01:51 PM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
I was telling him the ride IS noticeable
Sorry i didnt mean u. I meant KeepDabeat. I agreed totally with you. so sorry.
Old 05-03-07, 08:18 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

And I'm guessing that you guys are speaking about this based on the fact that you've ridden in an RX with 16's, 20's and 22's. Oh wait, I highly doubt either of you have, considering that Liqrsicc can't even find ones that fit.

If you're keeping with stock rims, don't even bother doing any exterior mods. It just doesn't look right.

Rims would be the first mod I'd do. The 20x8.5 Giovanna Dalar will fit GREAT, and the ride will be more than fine. But I'm telling you, I've seen 20's, and I've seen 22's in person on a RX, and the 20's looked SMALL. Ride difference is minimal for the gain you get in appearance. Do what you want though.

I also noticed in your other threads you're looking into upgrading the audio system. I completely re-did the one in my RX with Boston Acoustics and JL. If you're still considering doing it, you pretty much have to do the whole thing, which you're looking at about $3,000 to do it correctly.
Old 05-03-07, 08:20 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
are there any benefits to increasing tire width (in any aspect)? is there a difference in anything between stock 225-70-16 and 235-70-16? can you feel a difference? what im most curious about, like I mentioned above, is are there any benefits? weather-wise, performance wise, etc.
Not much. Unless you're planning to race it , Wider tires are mainly meant for grip when you're trying to get a launch off the line. They'll help with a little bit of control, but you're going to get a lot better handling from bigger rims.
Old 05-03-07, 11:33 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KeepDaBeat
And I'm guessing that you guys are speaking about this based on the fact that you've ridden in an RX with 16's, 20's and 22's. Oh wait, I highly doubt either of you have, considering that Liqrsicc can't even find ones that fit.

If you're keeping with stock rims, don't even bother doing any exterior mods. It just doesn't look right.

Rims would be the first mod I'd do. The 20x8.5 Giovanna Dalar will fit GREAT, and the ride will be more than fine. But I'm telling you, I've seen 20's, and I've seen 22's in person on a RX, and the 20's looked SMALL. Ride difference is minimal for the gain you get in appearance. Do what you want though.

I also noticed in your other threads you're looking into upgrading the audio system. I completely re-did the one in my RX with Boston Acoustics and JL. If you're still considering doing it, you pretty much have to do the whole thing, which you're looking at about $3,000 to do it correctly.
So I'm guessing that you know me? cuz if you did then you knew I had 22s on my RX for 3 days before I picked up the 20s. I had my RX for 2 years on 16s stock before I got my 20s. I put on 40k+, daily driven, since I got the 20s so I know the difference in the ride quality. There's a reason why you dont see a bunch of RX's with 22s. I dont know how you like your rims to look but I like mine big lipped, flush to the fender, and not stickin out like some cheap flea market rims with the wrong offset. SMH @ you tryna kick knowledge at JG about some 22s you dont even have on your car.
Old 05-04-07, 06:31 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

First off, I don't have rims on my RX because I've decided not to mod it much (I'm getting an '05 GTO soon).

Second, where did sticking out and flea market rims come into play? The rims I told him about are Giovanna, they make a SOLID wheel and should NEVER be compared to a flea market. The sizes were 20x8.5, which won't stick out and 22x9 which will possibly stick out a little, but not considerably.

Third, I'm telling him what I would do and what I have experienced. When I rode in the RX when it went from 20's to 22's I did not feel a difference. And I asked him about it after he had driven both for a while and he said there wasn't a difference either. Your opinion may be different and that's fine, but what I was trying to point out was that the difference in ride quality between 20" and 22" is minimal compared to how much cleaner in makes the car look.

Quick Reply: what's too much? wheels and rims