RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

oil cooler mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 04:43 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil cooler mod

im just debating with myself if i should put an oil cooler on my RX and just wanted to see what everyone thinks about this subject. the installation of this doesnt look to difficult and it should cost under $100. But in the long run i guess it would pay for itself.
has anyone put an oil cooler on their rx or any other car.
Old 04-25-07, 04:47 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you racing your rx? i had one on my Corrado, VR6 Corrado's engines are noticeable for running hot, this helped running a little cooler, plus it made the car look nicer when you could see the aluminum hoses under the grill. If you are doing normal driving on the RX, I don't really see a need.
Old 04-25-07, 05:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
are you racing your rx? i had one on my Corrado, VR6 Corrado's engines are noticeable for running hot, this helped running a little cooler, plus it made the car look nicer when you could see the aluminum hoses under the grill. If you are doing normal driving on the RX, I don't really see a need.
You ain't kidding about VR6 engines, my cousin has a 95 Golf, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224711 and it is always overheating. I love Corrados and we rarely see them down here as they were never sold here.

I know some people who have installed oil coolers in other vehicles (not VR6s or Rotaries (also can be hot and they love oil), but in those that have engines that don't normally overheat, they said it was no different than adding a bottle of Redline WaterWetter (which means maybe .5 a notch on the temp gauge).

Again not hard, but the tranny cooler is a better idea.

For the oil, the Castrol 0W30 I have been using appears to keep the vehicle cooler than Mobil 1. I have noticed at the track that when I use to let my RX sit after racing it...30 minutes later, it was still hot oil...but with the Castrol...quite cool to the touch.

I couldn't install one on mine, at least not in a decent location, as the place where I would put on would be where my bullhorn intake is, and in addition the lower part of the radiator will have an intercooler one day.
Old 04-25-07, 06:23 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

well i dont really race my rx, but i do drive it hard on the freeway.

dont we already have a tranny cooler or is there a better replacement for it? im thinking of doing what you did lexmex and just remove the windshield fluid tank,so the tranny cooler can breather better.
Old 04-25-07, 07:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zombie
well i dont really race my rx, but i do drive it hard on the freeway.

dont we already have a tranny cooler or is there a better replacement for it? im thinking of doing what you did lexmex and just remove the windshield fluid tank,so the tranny cooler can breather better.
That's right, since you have an AWD you would have one.

It's not hard to remove that reservoir, but you do have to remove the plastic cover underneath the front bumper and in the front passenger side wheel well to get at it and just follow the screws and wires and use plastic ties to seal them up. With windshield washers a plenty on every street corner, wasn't a hard decision at all, though my uncle and I are still thinking about how to make a mini reservoir that is not as big.
Old 04-25-07, 08:28 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

i was also thinking of also making a smaller windshield tank or maybe moving it somewhere else? ill take my bumper apart tomorrow and check it out.

my rx doesn't overheat and im not really racing, so im going to hold off on the oil cooler.
Old 04-25-07, 08:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I didn't see to many places to move it...though I still have to spend some time thinking about it. When you get that bumper off, take a good look at just how much that reservoir covers the tranny cooler.
Old 04-26-07, 07:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Lexmex, I was thinking of moving the cooler to the front of the radiator just below the bumper, using the metal bumper to make a mounting bracket. What do you think?
Old 04-26-07, 07:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thomas1
Lexmex, I was thinking of moving the cooler to the front of the radiator just below the bumper, using the metal bumper to make a mounting bracket. What do you think?
If we are talking about the tranny cooler (or even an oil cooler) for that matter, I wouldn't recommend this if you were going to put it dead center below. The reason is that lines going into the cooler are going to be in a very dangerous place given any debris that could hit the fluid lines. About the only place you could really put it at that point is at the 2 points I have highlighted in blue below, but having the lines protected as they would be behind the bumper as shown (dotted yellow lines).
Attached Thumbnails oil cooler mod-cooler.jpg  
Old 04-26-07, 07:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Also keep in mind that in the case of the tranny cooler, this thing is huge.
Attached Thumbnails oil cooler mod-img_2289.jpg  
Old 04-27-07, 05:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you need to relocate the washer fluid tank, you might consider a setup like that used on late sixties Ford products, the infamous "hot water bottle". It was simply a vinyl bag that hung flat against the fender well (or wherever there is room) where it can be accessed, suspended from a couple of clips or screws.

The pump was mounted low on the fender, below the level of the bag to keep the pump in prime. It wasn't too attractive, but it did work quite well.
Old 04-27-07, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If you need to relocate the washer fluid tank, you might consider a setup like that used on late sixties Ford products, the infamous "hot water bottle". It was simply a vinyl bag that hung flat against the fender well (or wherever there is room) where it can be accessed, suspended from a couple of clips or screws.

The pump was mounted low on the fender, below the level of the bag to keep the pump in prime. It wasn't too attractive, but it did work quite well.
That's possible. I'd have to work out the plumbing connections, but certainly a lot more flexible. The idea my uncle and I had was to put something about half or 1/4 the size of the existing reservoir where the original one was so as not to greatly interfere with the tranny cooler.

Thinking about that tranny cooler, I am still scratching my head over why Lexus placed it on the passenger side, when it should be closer to the transmission itself on the driver's side and for a stock RX there is a hole in the bumper (my air entrance) where it should have been mounted.
Old 04-27-07, 07:13 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I too dont understand, why didnt they just put one in front of the radiator like all other cars, and get the added circulation from the cooling fans....Hey Lexmex I dont understand why you are so concerned about debris on the tranny lines, they are pretty tough when compared to the radiator itself? They could be wrapped in protective covers if that is such a problem...
Old 04-27-07, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have seen a case down here where an oil cooler's metal line got bumped by a rock, causing a dent on the line. Intercoolers are tougher and have a bigger exit/entry for the tubes.