RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

sub's under the seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 07:33 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub's under the seat?

i've been researching some additional subwoofer ideas, and it seems that subwoofers until the seat isn't that foreign of a concept. there seems to be many companies that are putting 2 subwoofers in their cars now (with their premium, or sometimes standard, systems) under the front seats. if i'm not mistaken, isn't that where the 99 rx300's factory sub is? under the passenger seat?

what if i replaced that with a new subwoofer, such as the infinity basslink or the kenwood wOOx, or maybe even a powered bazooka...what do you think? im looking for a more encompassing bass, not just a big boom from behind me...like i was talking about
HTML Code:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2571048#post2571048
here i was in a new x3 with a premium stereo upgrade, and it had 2 subwoofers under the seat (i guess one under the passenger, one under the driver?) and the sound was so much more filling that mine, which is just coming from the trunk. would doing this give me the results i want? if so, what sub do u recommend that's good and can fit under our rx300's seats, what kind of amp i would use, and about the approx. price for this setup, not including installation. if this isn't what i want to do, or if it's not possible, then what would you recommend?

thanks for all the help u guys! i dont know what id do without u!
Old 04-25-07, 07:39 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

also...i just looked under the passenger seat and saw the OEM subwoofer...can this be taken out (replaced)? if so, what's a good sub that won't block what looks to me like the air vent that will fit under there, sound good, and not break my wallet?! another thing is it looks like space under the drivers seat is quite constricted...would any sub fit under there? any of the subs i listed early? thanks
Old 04-25-07, 07:44 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good thread...i hope people respond with some good answers
Old 04-25-07, 08:22 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i removed my stock sub about a month after i got my rx. its a tiny 4 inch sub and i really didnt like the "bass" that was coming out of it. it wasn't clear and it just sounded cheap.
it might be hard to find a replacement sub or fit a new box in that small space (box would have to be custom). i even tried going to different car stereo shops in houston to just replace that 4" sub, but none of them carried subs that small. i replaced it with an infinity 4"speaker, but it ended up sounding worse.
im just gonna replace the door speakers when i get more money.
Old 04-25-07, 08:32 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

here's a picture of the driver underseat

here's a picture of the passenger underseat

what do u think?

Last edited by jg 368 48; 04-25-07 at 08:42 PM. Reason: big gap in between pictures
Old 04-25-07, 08:33 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

sorry about the gap...can't get rid of it

Last edited by jg 368 48; 04-25-07 at 08:42 PM. Reason: couldn't get rid of the gap
Old 04-25-07, 08:40 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm... good thread indeed. I havent listened to the X3 sound system, but I have heard much about them on the site. So would 2 subs underneath the seat sound real good? Better than the one I am about to put below? I heard subs underneath the sub sound okay but it will sound nasty from bass cause of the air space needed for subs.

I am about to set up a new sound sytem in my car. I am about put a Pioneer shallow sub on the left side of the truck where that curve is. But it will be on top of the left hatch and blocking the 12v outlet. So I am having a custom fiber glass box made and flush the front so the side will be flat and flushed with the spring box. Anybody think this is a good idea?
Old 04-25-07, 09:40 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately there just isnt any room under the seats for any subs. its not just the width but the actual height. It's gonna be hard to find a sub with magnet that small. Zombie is right... you're better off just replacing the door speakers with high end ones.

Originally Posted by bloo1987
Hm... good thread indeed. I havent listened to the X3 sound system, but I have heard much about them on the site. So would 2 subs underneath the seat sound real good? Better than the one I am about to put below? I heard subs underneath the sub sound okay but it will sound nasty from bass cause of the air space needed for subs.

I am about to set up a new sound sytem in my car. I am about put a Pioneer shallow sub on the left side of the truck where that curve is. But it will be on top of the left hatch and blocking the 12v outlet. So I am having a custom fiber glass box made and flush the front so the side will be flat and flushed with the spring box. Anybody think this is a good idea?
Not a bad idea. Thats was actually my 1st choice before I had my work done.... to have custom enclosures by the wheel well. Instead I opted for a humongous box instead. You're gonna want your sub to point away from the hatch. You will get a lot of rattles from your hatch. I have mine padded with Dynamat Xtreme and even my license plate Dynamated and it still rattles... along with the wires inside the hatch as well as my spoiler and every piece of removable trim back there.
Old 04-25-07, 10:01 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

i guess i didnt think about the air. the 2 that i listed said it was designed for under seat usage, but i guess it's not meant for our cars. what's a cool speaker set that would give me good bass from the doors as well as improved sound that doesnt cost a lot? im looking around $500 for a set...I guess that is a good price right? I haven't checked into cost, so I might be setting the bar too low, but I'm not sure. What speakers would you recommend for the front door that will give me the added boost of bass for that deep encompassing sound im looking for without breaking my wallet? also...is visonik a good brand of subwoofer/amp? from what i heard they sound good and they're very affordable. what do u think?
Old 04-25-07, 10:06 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

also...please check out another one of my posts at
HTML Code:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2578200#post2578200
it's kind of dealing with the same thing as we're talking about here, just a different product
Old 04-25-07, 10:38 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
You will get a lot of rattles from your hatch. I have mine padded with Dynamat Xtreme and even my license plate Dynamated and it still rattles... along with the wires inside the hatch as well as my spoiler and every piece of removable trim back there.
a lot of cotton ***** and duct tape can stop the license plate from rattling. its ghetto, but it gets the job done.
Old 04-25-07, 11:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

page width is messed up ... mod may have to fix this.

Check out the ClubLexus Audio Video special interest Foum.

Salim
Old 04-30-07, 03:28 PM
electric13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
page width is messed up ... mod may have to fix this.

Check out the ClubLexus Audio Video special interest Foum.

Salim
it's because of his pic here: http://www.vohgo.com/JG36848/blah/1.jpg if he'd edit that and get rid of the white space, it would fix the whole thread.
Old 04-30-07, 03:36 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
i guess i didnt think about the air. the 2 that i listed said it was designed for under seat usage, but i guess it's not meant for our cars. what's a cool speaker set that would give me good bass from the doors as well as improved sound that doesnt cost a lot? im looking around $500 for a set...I guess that is a good price right? I haven't checked into cost, so I might be setting the bar too low, but I'm not sure. What speakers would you recommend for the front door that will give me the added boost of bass for that deep encompassing sound im looking for without breaking my wallet? also...is visonik a good brand of subwoofer/amp? from what i heard they sound good and they're very affordable. what do u think?
Visonik is pretty cheap. Subs/amps can get very expensive if you are looking for quality. As for the door speakers, you can find a lot for $500. You might not be able to get some high end speakers but you can get good/decent speakers. Unless you are an audiophile wanting to hear every single detail and sound, those high end speakers arent for you. Infinity makes some great speakers. I also like MB quartz and Polk. They are definately an upgrade to the stocks. It's kinda hard to ask or a lot of bass in door speakers unless you try to get some 6x9s custom mounted... if you can even find some that fit in the door. Keep in mind you may also want to Dynamat the doors and get an amp to feed more power to the new speakers.

Originally Posted by zombie
a lot of cotton ***** and duct tape can stop the license plate from rattling. its ghetto, but it gets the job done.
Thats funny, I might actually try it! If Dynamat can't correct it, I might as well try it. I have nothing to lose
Old 04-30-07, 07:47 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

sorry about the pics, i will try to edit them tomorrow. as for the bass in my door speakers, i'm not looking for a lot of bass at all. i do not however want speakers that don't support any bass what so ever. i want them to have a bit of bass, not even that noticeable really...i just don't want speakers that have a bass effect of zero. i was looking at these one speakers (not buying them) for $4,000 and they didnt have any bass what so ever. i looked at many between $500-$900 and none of them had any bass. my dad's 07 x5's door speakers have bass (not a lot like i said, but noticeable if you put your ear close), and my friends scion tC does as well.