RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

The Wonderful Rx300

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 05:28 PM
ONYXIS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Wonderful Rx300

HI THIS IS JESSA-ONYXIS300'S GIRLFRIEND. WELL, TODAY OUR LITTLE BABY WENT IN FOR AN ECU TRAC UPDATE AND WE GOT AN RX300 FOR A LOANER. WELL, I JUST LOVE IT! IT IS SWEET. I AM WONDERING WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE ON THIS TASTY LITTLE SUV?
Old 12-03-01, 09:08 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Well... i would think that most people would love it, i personally do, but there are some would would object because of silly things like the AWD system (not mentioning any names) and ill admit it does have some small imperfections but no car is perfect.-Paul
Old 12-04-01, 08:44 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default RX300

The RX300 AWD is a perfect (small) step up from the Chrysler T&C minivan. If you don't for some reason already dislike the minivan "look", try one of those out first.

The short-comings of the Chrysler minivan are: No HID, VSC or TRAC, no "automatic" climate control, no ride heigth to over-come the "short" disease.

Only real advantage over the RX300 is an AWD that will actually delivers substantial engine torque to the rear wheels in all modes, latently and dynamically.

RX300 short-comings are:

Automatic climate control that can't be used to reliably defrost/defog/demist the windshield and windows, you must ignore their instructions and learn to do it yourself.

Read the note of CAUTION Lexus publishes in the owners manual regarding use of the cooling operation mode in extremely humid conditions. Ask your dealer how we, the general public, determine when the system is in cooling mode and how we readily deternine an extremely humid climate condition. Both pre-requisites to safe operation of the vehicle according to Lexus themselves.

Climate control unduly subjects you in the wintertime the potential for mold and mildew growth.

Climate control is discomforting in the wintertime due to radient cooling of the human body... it automatically goes into COOLING mode in the dead of winter.

Avoid the Nav system, it CANNOT be trusted, will ALWAYS be something of a distraction, and the non-nav dispaly system is much more ergonomically correct.

Slack, "flaccid" "rubber band" viscous type coupling to the rear drive which never "rises" to the occassion.

And I am not talking off-road driving needs, just everyday wintertime driving on ice and snow covered roadbeds. The T&C will perform head and shoulders over the RX. But as Lexus states in all of the ads, the RX had the cushioniest ride of all.

I have a 2000 T&C AWD and a 2001 RX300 AWD.

Last edited by wwest; 12-04-01 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-04-01, 11:30 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default more..

Lexus has acknowledged that the use of snowchains on this vehicle can be unduly hazardous. Becuase of (severe) clearance restrictions snow chains CANNOT be installed on the rear of the RX300. No vehicle is safe with greater roadbed traction on the front vs the rear, esspecially in the wintertime when driving in ice and snow conditions can be an everyday occurance.