RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 01:22 PM
SunDevl918
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Brake light, door, belt issues . . .

I have a 2000 RX300 that I just love to pieces but I'm having some issues that I can't seem to resolve. Can anyone help?
1) The brake light is always on, even if the parking brake is not engaged. I've checked the brake fluid and it's fine. If I'm in the car, belted in, doors shut and start the engine, the brake light stays on and it 'dings' once.
2) The rear driver side door does not unlock/lock with the key. It doesn't seem to want to work at all. I have to manually lock or unlock it because it doesn't respond to the door switch to lock/unlock or the alarm.
3) I have replaced all the belts in the engine in August and they STILL squeal when I start the car.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!
L.

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-07-07 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Clarifying thread title
Old 05-07-07, 04:58 PM
Gomer1
Driver

for number 1, you might need new brake pads. check their condition.
Old 05-07-07, 05:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

On number 3, my belts squealed for many months, close to a year, before the squealing stopped. There is a belt dressing that can be applied, but even then the sound will come back.
Old 05-07-07, 05:12 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same problem with #2 except its the rear passenger side door and it works sometimes. i got so tired of it i just duct taped that door switch closed.
Old 05-07-07, 05:40 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by zombie
i have the same problem with #2 except its the rear passenger side door and it works sometimes. i got so tired of it i just duct taped that door switch closed.
LOL. That wood trim must look marvelous with duct tape around it.
Old 05-07-07, 06:09 PM
yeuemhoai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. check the brake switch locating just above the brake pedal.
2. lock actuator might be dead.
3. have the belts re-adjusted. After replacing some, those belts might expand/contract.
Old 05-07-07, 06:46 PM
SunDevl918
Driver School Candidate

Default brake switch?

I'm a chick and I looked all over for this switch by the brake pedal (both parking and standard brakes) and I can't seem to find anything.

Where do I get another lock actuator? Are they easy to replace?

Belt spray--any certain brand you'd recommend or can I use something I can get at Checker Auto?

Thank you to everyone who has offered help!!
Old 05-07-07, 07:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

With the belt dressing, I like Valvoline's Pyroil http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=32

However, there isn't a magic one that sticks out at the top.
Old 05-07-07, 09:39 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

The lock actuator is pricey, about $250 and is not easy to replace if you are not mechanically inclined. The belts are probably too loose.... and the brake light, do you mean the indicator on the dash?
Old 05-07-07, 10:46 PM
SunDevl918
Driver School Candidate

Default Yep, dash indicator

I have been looking around to price the lock actuators and you're right--they're definitely not cheap! Guess I'll just have to leave well enough alone for now.

Yes, the indicator on the dash (for the brake). Sorry about that!
Old 05-07-07, 11:11 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by SunDevl918
I have a 2000 RX300 that I just love to pieces but I'm having some issues that I can't seem to resolve. Can anyone help?
1) The brake light is always on, even if the parking brake is not engaged. I've checked the brake fluid and it's fine. If I'm in the car, belted in, doors shut and start the engine, the brake light stays on and it 'dings' once.
2) The rear driver side door does not unlock/lock with the key. It doesn't seem to want to work at all. I have to manually lock or unlock it because it doesn't respond to the door switch to lock/unlock or the alarm.
3) I have replaced all the belts in the engine in August and they STILL squeal when I start the car.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!
L.
For #1, make sure the parking brake is off. It will ding at you when you reach a certain speed (if you have the parking brake on) to remind you to take it off.
Old 05-07-07, 11:34 PM
SunDevl918
Driver School Candidate

The parking brake isn't on..that's why I can't understand why the dash indicator stays illuminated and it dings once at me. It's the strangest thing.
Old 05-08-07, 12:58 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by SunDevl918
The parking brake isn't on..that's why I can't understand why the dash indicator stays illuminated and it dings once at me. It's the strangest thing.
Sounds like the switch is stuck in. Make sure the connector is plugged into the switch and that the switch is returning to its normal position after being compressed. Here are a few very bad shots of my repair manual(done with my camera phone):

The other fileis where the connector cable connects to the pin. Make sure the connector isn't loose and that the pin moves.

I had the brake light come once at work. When I got out of the car, the break fluid was good(above the marks), but it turned out that the car and I had different opinions on the matter and the brake fluid was indeed low. But it does sound like the parking break not knowing it's fully off to me.
Attached Thumbnails Help!!-dsc00080.jpg  
Old 05-08-07, 01:04 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

One more blur from the repair manul...

†he cable coming from the top left is the cable that connects to the brake switch.
Attached Thumbnails Help!!-dsc00081.jpg  
Old 05-08-07, 05:19 PM
SunDevl918
Driver School Candidate

So I went to see if I could access the area shown in the pictures and I guess I need to take part of the panel off? Who would have thought this would be easy?

Quick Reply: Help!!