RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Stock grille Mesh Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 07:40 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexmex, i am suprised that a man of your knowledge anda caliber would put this on ytour car or any car. That thing has is only for bling factor. The filtering surface is much smaller than that of a standard cold air intake filter. It only looks big because its not it the shape of a cone. This only gets air on one side and not almost 300-320 degress depending on filter Secondly the pipe is so long that the intake no doubt now will have to work harder to get air into the engine. 3rd i hope u r using a value to prevent water from going into your intake cause that bye bye engine.
dont get me wrong, i like the look. but if i am more concerned about speed, this would be my LAST choice.

Last edited by anulex; 05-12-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-12-07, 07:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
Lexmex, i am suprised that a man of your knowledge anda caliber would put this on ytour car or any car. That thing has is only for bling factor. The filtering surface is much smaller than that of a standard cold air intake. Thus less air into engine. Secondly the pipe is so long that engine no doubt now will have to work harder to get air into the engine. less air again. 3rd i hope u r using a value to prevent water from going into your intake cause that bye bye engine.
dont get me wrong, i like the look. but if i am more concerned about speed, this would be my LAST choice.
This was my cousin's decision, but since he wanted to do it, I'd like to make it work as best as possible. That cooler made by a company called Matrix cost $60 USD down here.

We actually will have another intake in the corner (kind of like I have in my RX) to take air from there, too or it will choke on start up.

As far as water, I'm not concerned about that. It has some holes in the bottom of it. Even my intake in my RX doesn't have an air filter and no issues.

There are a few Chevys (modern day chevette) at my track that have gotten this modification to work, but it also involved shortening and straightening the intake and in addition a separate lateral K&N/other type cone filter on the side, because at this altitude it will choke unless you are going above 30 to 40 mph.

This is the existing intake we have for now until we have time to get the proper piping. He hasn't move the vehicle for a few months (just once to the track).
Attached Thumbnails Stock grille Mesh Mod-img_0887.jpg  
Old 05-12-07, 07:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Keep in mind in my RX, I have a small lateral pipe on my intake as shown below. The reason for this is if it doesn't exist, the engine chokes on start up, because as you say it is too long down to the CAI. After I start picking up acceleration will allow that bullhorn intake to work correctly. I can see this in races with some vehicles where they will try to overtake me at the end, and then my engine just keeps chugging air. This is close to the concept that a turbo or supercharger incorporates, but of course they do it with A LOT better efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails Stock grille Mesh Mod-img_1676.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 05-12-07 at 08:04 AM.