RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Which Battery for my RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 01:43 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which Battery for my RX300?

I think the time has come for my 4-3/4-year-old RX300 to get a new battery. I was going to get a Costco battery until some folks here wrote that last year Costco went to generic sizing and don't carry the 24F any more (and the #3 size is a little too tall).

Then, I thought about the Optima Red Top (I don't need much starting power, but plan to hold the car a long time). I was looking at the 34R size, but when I called Optima they indicated that they recommend the 35 size for the RX300. Does anybody have experience with this size in an RX300?

I've done a forum search, but new information/suggestions would be most welcome. I recall reading that military BXs have good deals on Optimas.
Old 05-17-07, 04:36 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A battery is a relatively simple device that serves as an electron reservoir. You can buy an Optima if it makes you feel better, but the electrons it provides are identical to those of a much less costly battery. The optima is probably preferred for applications that will take heavy electrical and physical abuse. Don't be taken in by long warranties - batteries will generally fail within a few weeks if they are faulty, otherwise (barring a serious problem elsewhere in your electrical system) it should last for at least four years.

Purchasing any more than a 48-month battery is probably not cost effective - since the guarantee is pro-rated and will return very little of your investment when it is exchanged on warranty after that period. Interstate, Sears, and a number of other brands, sized for your application are available for your RX at a reasonable price. If you have special needs - say a MONSTER audio system, a winch, a large aftermarket inverter, or plan to operate in extreme conditions of temperature and vibration, you may want to investigate one of the "designer" batteries but otherwise save your money. Good luck!
Old 05-17-07, 06:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

We have had quite a bit of discussion on replacement batteries.

My reccomendation is for maintenance free and preferrably sealed type battries. The fumes inside the engine bay are bad.

The above reccomendation puts you in $80+ range.

For optima, remember to pick up the pedastal as the optima is shorter in height and the hold down will not work without spacers or pedastal. The posts are also a tad away from the corner and you have to tug the cable. Having the cable/post in tension can break the post. It has been 3+ years and I have not had any problem (+ very happy).

Salim
Old 05-17-07, 09:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check Consumer Reports for its test and recommendation on car batteries. While all batteries are made by just 3 manufacturers, there are big difference in their cranking and reserve power among different brands.

Agree that long warranty and high price do not always buy you a better battery.
Old 05-17-07, 10:00 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Have had extremely good luck with costco batteries as well as Walmart batteries. Never had one fail....sorry costco dropped that size, that is what is in my 99 RX
Old 05-18-07, 08:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

If you are going to keep your RX a while, an Optima is a good investment.
Old 05-18-07, 09:35 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
If you are going to keep your RX a while, an Optima is a good investment.
Can you elaborate please? I can get an Optima for $129, maybe double the price of a Costco battery. Will it last that much longer, or is it the reliability that is worth the premium?
Old 05-18-07, 11:19 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

The costco batteries are great, have had one in my Dune buggy for 10 years, same one.... My Lexus RX300 has one now for 4 years....Just dont put a Kragens or Checkered flag batttery in, Had terrible luck with their brand...
Old 05-18-07, 11:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
Can you elaborate please? I can get an Optima for $129, maybe double the price of a Costco battery. Will it last that much longer, or is it the reliability that is worth the premium?
I have heard that Optimas can go 11 years. However, I have heard of Optimas and Stinger batteries going. The Optima in my cousin's VR6 Golf went after he let it sit a long time without running it. I knew others who lost them at audio sessions, but that is the extreme.

Given my issues with my OEM Lexus batteries (that issue with the clock resetting 1 a.m.), my 2.5 year old Red Top has not given me any issues.

However, my reasoning comes down to this, unless you are doing audio/electronic modifications or need extra performance (it helps on the track under acceleration along with those grounding wires/hypervoltage), you can get by with something like a Kirkland, Interstate or DieHard Gold (a personal favorite of mine if not for dry cell batteries like the Optima). Moreover, if you plan on trading in or selling, why put in the investment.
Old 05-18-07, 01:12 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2001 RX300 still on original battery, I am waiting for signs that tells me it is ending it's life. Optimas would be my choice but I am not sure if we can buy them Canada.
Old 05-18-07, 03:59 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my 2001 RX battery about a year ago with a Costco battery which had better specs than the original Panasonic that came with the car new. Cost about $45 and is made by Johson Controls, same company that makes the Optima. Don't get hung up on the 24F size. Just use the Costco fitment guide and get the one they recommend, it's fitment code 3. It fits perfectly. Optima does not make a battery to fit the RX but it is not hard to make one fit that is close.
Old 05-19-07, 05:44 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by mikey00
Don't get hung up on the 24F size. Just use the Costco fitment guide and get the one they recommend, it's fitment code 3. It fits perfectly. Optima does not make a battery to fit the RX but it is not hard to make one fit that is close.
Thanks for all the very usefull replies. It helps me and I'm sure it will help others too. Finding somebody who used the Costco fitment code 3 battery successfully was one of the things I was looking for.
Old 05-22-07, 02:11 PM
bob2200
Driver

Default Update: Replaced Battery

I replaced my RX300 battery today with the Costco generic-fit 3. The price was a very reasonable $51.69 and it has a 3-year replacement warranty and 100-month pro-rated replacement warranty. There was a $5 core charge, which was refunded in cash, including sales tax.

The generic-fit battery is about 1/4" higher than the original battery. The nut on the rear threaded hold-down rod needs to be loosened about 1/4" or more. The front bracket is now about 1/4" higher than what it was bolted to, and I had to put about 1/4" worth of washers under the bracket. The front bolt is long enough, and there appears to be enough clearance between the bracket/bolt and the bottom of the hood. The bolt makes a mark on the soft rubber strip on the hood, which seems to be OK.

I took some photos, if this is unclear, but I would have to look for the cable to transfer the photos from my digital camera to my computer.

There is plenty of free space above the battery itself. The height is only an issue between the front bracket and the front of the hood.
Old 05-22-07, 03:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

What about the posts? Are they making an impression or they are on the far end, where you have more clearance.

Salim
Old 05-22-07, 05:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I replaced my RX300 battery today with the Costco generic-fit 3. The price was a very reasonable $51.69 and it has a 3-year replacement warranty and 100-month pro-rated replacement warranty. There was a $5 core charge, which was refunded in cash, including sales tax.

The generic-fit battery is about 1/4" higher than the original battery. The nut on the rear threaded hold-down rod needs to be loosened about 1/4" or more. The front bracket is now about 1/4" higher than what it was bolted to, and I had to put about 1/4" worth of washers under the bracket. The front bolt is long enough, and there appears to be enough clearance between the bracket/bolt and the bottom of the hood. The bolt makes a mark on the soft rubber strip on the hood, which seems to be OK.

I took some photos, if this is unclear, but I would have to look for the cable to transfer the photos from my digital camera to my computer.

There is plenty of free space above the battery itself. The height is only an issue between the front bracket and the front of the hood.
I did notice when I installed mine that the battery was slightly higher. I think it was a little less than 1/4". It shouldn't be an issue though. The rear of the bracket is adjustable, you just do a few less turns when fastening. The front of the bracket has some flex to it. I didn't use any washers under it and it does not touch the rubber seal on the hood. I think your washers are holding up the front of the bracket causing the contact. Take them out and just use the flex in the bracket and everything should be fine.
Salim: Battery posts are not an issue, they sit a couple of inches lower than the front of the mounting bracket.

Quick Reply: Which Battery for my RX300?