RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine is gone at 149,970 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 10:38 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
I bought it with locked up transmission and broken ignition lock.
I am not complaining, I am restoring. It is fun (well, except engine, I am no head shop)
After engine is rebuild it will be like new, ready for another 150K
Do your new engine a favor, use 20 or 30 weight oil for better cooling ability since they flow better. If you use dino, shorten the oil change interval. IMHO, 1mz-fe's cam head is designed to run hot, real synthetic oil such as German Castrol protects the engine better.
Old 05-23-07, 11:42 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Do your new engine a favor, use 20 or 30 weight oil for better cooling ability since they flow better. If you use dino, shorten the oil change interval. IMHO, 1mz-fe's cam head is designed to run hot, real synthetic oil such as German Castrol protects the engine better.
Thanks, but I think 20W is like water for Texas weather. What is exactly German Castrol? I thought Castrol was British.
Old 05-23-07, 12:09 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Thanks, but I think 20W is like water for Texas weather. What is exactly German Castrol? I thought Castrol was British.
Toyota has an official TSIB to use 20 weight oil for all new model for over one year now. If you read it closely, TSIB back spec the 1mz-fe.

Discussion thread is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=214826&page=3

But if you prefer thicker oil. German Castrol is a good oil for the price, it is the one of the thickest 30 weight oil. Only 0w-30 is made in Germany, see our recent discussion here

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269982

Lexmex was one of the first to use it in the RX

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261589
Old 05-23-07, 04:26 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Toyota has an official TSIB to use 20 weight oil for all new model for over one year now.
But if you prefer thicker oil. German Castrol is a good oil for the price, it is the one of the thickest 30 weight oil. Only 0w-30 is made in Germany, see our recent discussion here

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269982

Lexmex was one of the first to use it in the RX

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261589
Thanks, I will put GC 0w-30 in it.
Old 05-23-07, 06:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I will put GC 0w-30 in it.
Do not use 0W-30 on your RX, it's not designed for that oil. The 0W is too thin for your engine, even know you're getting a recently owned engine or re manufacturer.

Look like you got a good deal on the RX since you bought it with bad tranny, key cylinder locked up and probably some minor work to get it right. Or you're spending too much money to buy a car that you can not drive and can't even test drive or start up the engine due to the bad ignition key cylinder.

This is one of those " Too good to be true", a $2,995.00 for an RX is alway bite you.
Old 05-23-07, 06:43 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Do not use 0W-30 on your RX, it's not designed for that oil. The 0W is too thin for your engine, even know you're getting a recently owned engine or re manufacturer.

Look like you got a good deal on the RX since you bought it with bad tranny, key cylinder locked up and probably some minor work to get it right. Or you're spending too much money to buy a car that you can not drive and can't even test drive or start up the engine due to the bad ignition key cylinder.

This is one of those " Too good to be true", a $2,995.00 for an RX is alway bite you.
I bought it for $5000 after helping them to repair the lock so we could start the car and hear the engine running. Plus the transmission shop gave me discount. After the engine is rebuilt (this includes heads, block, and all new timing parts and oil pump) it will be like a new car, in and out
Old 05-23-07, 06:43 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I don't want this thread to turn into oil talk. Some information just to get facts straight.
SAE oil weight is a RANGE, never should one assume 0w-30 is thinner than 5w-30 at operating temperature. No oil, dino or synthetic is too thin at startup, where no one reaches the ideal viscosity of 10 cSt.

For example, Castrol Syntec 0w-30 has 12 cSt at 100 degree F, Mobil 5w-30 viscosity is 11.3 cSt, thinner than GC 0w-30
M1 5w-30 official spec
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...bil1_5W-30.asp
GC 0w-30 official spec
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...syntec_usa.pdf

This FAQ explains better http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post711581
Old 05-23-07, 07:55 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot find that thread. Could you give a link or the title of it?
Check your PM.
Old 05-23-07, 09:11 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
good point, yea the warranty is expired, only 8years 2months total...
Ha! "After March 15, 2007, you must assert your claim within 8 years + 120 days after your car's original purchase/lease date."
The very first record on the report from CarFax is 8 years 1 month and 6 days ago.

Does this mean I still have 83 days to file a claim? I will call them tomorrow.

PS: Many Thanks to GWELEX!
Old 05-23-07, 09:52 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Ha! "After March 15, 2007, you must assert your claim within 8 years + 120 days after your car's original purchase/lease date."
The very first record on the report from CarFax is 8 years 1 month and 6 days ago.

Does this mean I still have 83 days to file a claim? I will call them tomorrow.

PS: Many Thanks to GWELEX!
Be sure to call Lexus dealer ASAP, the 8 year clock started ticking as soon as the car was sold, not sure the first record of carfax is the day it was put into service.
Good luck and hopefully you will get it repaired under sludge warranty.
Old 05-24-07, 05:54 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought it for $5000 after helping them to repair the lock so we could start the car and hear the engine running. Plus the transmission shop gave me discount. After the engine is rebuilt (this includes heads, block, and all new timing parts and oil pump) it will be like a new car, in and out
Is it that silver car that was on Craigs List a few months ago?
Some girl had it at the tranny shop and couldn't afford to fix it? Glad to see it went to a good home.
Old 05-24-07, 07:11 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Why are you saying to not use the 0-30 weight castrol oil? Do you or anyone have any experience with it that is negative?
Old 05-24-07, 07:44 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carver
Is it that silver car that was on Craigs List a few months ago?
Some girl had it at the tranny shop and couldn't afford to fix it? Glad to see it went to a good home.
Yes. She was going thru divorce and complaining that her husband is not paying alimony.
Old 05-24-07, 09:10 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. She was going thru divorce and complaining that her husband is not paying alimony.
wow people put their business out there like that?
Old 05-24-07, 09:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Why are you saying to not use the 0-30 weight castrol oil? Do you or anyone have any experience with it that is negative?
0W30 is fine...in fact 0W40 is fine. Where you might get into issues is using a 15W or a W50...have done it and vehicle did not feel too good. Reason was that about 5 years ago, not much of a supply down here for good quality synthetic oil or any oil for that matter and I had to use a 15W50 Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Engine is gone at 149,970 miles