RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine is gone at 149,970 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 06:49 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Yes, ceramics CAN do that. My uncle and I pull about 3 or 4 busted plugs (I think 2 on one vehicle) in the past year, and those vehicles also had sludge buildup.
Do you think this happens is because of heat or because piston hits the spark plug by inertia after being let free of the rod? It is even possible?
Old 06-07-07, 07:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I thought about that scenario in my mind where the piston hits the plug, but in the cases my uncle and I had to deal with, there was no damage from a hit, my uncle clearly saw heat was at play, plus in your case you had two cylinders having such damage, and only one with a bad rod.
Old 06-07-07, 09:20 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I thought about that scenario in my mind where the piston hits the plug, but in the cases my uncle and I had to deal with, there was no damage from a hit, my uncle clearly saw heat was at play, plus in your case you had two cylinders having such damage, and only one with a bad rod.
I agree. But this makes me think of my injectors. They are funking plastic. If ceramics cracked because of heat I am really scared to think of condition of plastics. They are really expensive.
Old 06-07-07, 09:26 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Ough, wait. I am sorry. They go into lower manifold, not to the heads. But anyway, do you think that there was enough heat transfered in order to damage them? I hope not, because heads where cooling pretty good. But plugs? They are in the lower part of heads. Man, I am really confused. Nothing makes any sense. Where is that coolant temperature sensor? Is it near thermostat or lower?
Old 06-08-07, 06:25 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking it was just the forces of #5 turning loose that caused the other plug to crack. There's a lot of damage to your block from that one event, I'm not surprised that something like a ceramic plug cracked. I've seen more than my share of engines that have blown and rarely is the damage limited to just that one cylinder that turned loose.
Old 06-08-07, 06:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I couldn't remember if you had pieces of the piston, or was it just the rod, as pieces of piston can fly up and cause issues (not the whole piston).

Anyways, I know that hot running RX7 rotary engines have suffered cracked plugs from heat (I have a buddy listed on page 2 of my car domain page, who knows about this). It can happen.

Now with that coolant sensor, I remember looking this up and I think if I have this right, there is a sensor located in this region, and it has a connector that comes in vertically.
Attached Thumbnails Engine is gone at 149,970 miles-ectsensor.jpg  
Old 06-08-07, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I'm thinking it was just the forces of #5 turning loose that caused the other plug to crack. There's a lot of damage to your block from that one event, I'm not surprised that something like a ceramic plug cracked. I've seen more than my share of engines that have blown and rarely is the damage limited to just that one cylinder that turned loose.
That's so true on your comments of the damage not being limited
Old 06-09-07, 01:24 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Okay, got my RX back with new engine. About to test drive it on a highway. Driving from Irving to Plano using Bush turnpike, and back thru Frisco using TX-121. Anybody sees me - wave, or something ;-)
Mechanics told me of break in period of 1000 miles. So I am driving it really nice for the next 2 weeks.
Will post pictures of new engine and what they did to my RX.
It is running on gold German Castrol 0w30 now. Took 7 quarts to completely fill the dry engine. I also added 2.5 onces of everybody favorite RxP in the full gas tank. Will be doing to every other tank.
Old 06-09-07, 04:48 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear, Autozone has GC on sale for $4.49 a quart.
http://www.autozone.com/images/in_ou...g4_0531_07.pdf
My current GC fill has 3200 miles, I will send a sample for an oil analysis report @ 7K miles and post the result for those who are interested.
Old 06-09-07, 07:51 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the completed project! It should last a long time with proper care, but we both thought that of the original engine didn't we? The wife and I are seriously considering an '03 GX so our RX may be history, time wil tell, not to mention financing.
Old 06-09-07, 08:17 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the completed project! It should last a long time with proper care, but we both thought that of the original engine didn't we? The wife and I are seriously considering an '03 GX so our RX may be history, time wil tell, not to mention financing.
Good luck to you as well, Toyota V8 is one of the most reliable and durable engines of the world. Be sure to use 0w-20 oil for better startup flow, esp for Alaska winter!
Old 06-09-07, 10:09 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Good to hear, Autozone has GC on sale for $4.49 a quart.
http://www.autozone.com/images/in_ou...g4_0531_07.pdf
My current GC fill has 3200 miles, I will send a sample for an oil analysis report @ 7K miles and post the result for those who are interested.
So will I at 5K with new engine. Which lab are you using?
Old 06-09-07, 10:11 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Don't forget if the last part goes thru... You know from PMs.
Old 06-09-07, 10:20 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Too tired right now, I will post pictures tomorrow.
Anyway, I made 102 miles today (total engine mileage ~110 miles).
First I reset the MPG. Drove about 45 miles there with an average of 10.1 MPG (70% highway), did throw P0171 and related codes.
Parked for 3 hours, went to pool, had a 12-pack with friends. Cleared codes. Reset MPG. Went back home with average 17.8 MPG (almost same road).
Going to bed now.
Old 06-09-07, 10:50 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meetya
So will I at 5K with new engine. Which lab are you using?
Oil Analyzer, which for $20 will include TBN, oxidation %, and nitration %. Blackstone is not bad, includes insoluble % but charges $10 more for TBN.
Whoever get to the first report back can start a new thread.
Actually it is very good to get an UOA for the new engine, that is a good baseline for future reference.

Quick Reply: Engine is gone at 149,970 miles