RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

passanger window

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 03:16 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passanger window

Hey. my passanger window has a problem. when i want it to go up it idles for alittle bit then goes down. it has been doing this quite frequently now. does anyone know what is wrong? can i fiz this myself or do i have to bring it to a shop? thanks.
Old 06-10-07, 08:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I would first clean the window on both sides. There is a pinch control. Last year, I actually had to remove the door panel and clean and relube the rails, so nothing would catch.
Old 06-11-07, 09:32 AM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I would first clean the window on both sides. There is a pinch control. Last year, I actually had to remove the door panel and clean and relube the rails, so nothing would catch.
Mine goes up and down fine, but the back windows seems to go up and down alot faster than my two front ones. Both windows are clean. Is there a way to clean the rails w/o taking apart the door panels? Like using an air dust remover on the traks.

Thanks
Old 06-11-07, 09:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by YoshRX300
Mine goes up and down fine, but the back windows seems to go up and down alot faster than my two front ones. Both windows are clean. Is there a way to clean the rails w/o taking apart the door panels? Like using an air dust remover on the traks.

Thanks
I am not sure exactly what you are describing, but I really didn't se any other way to get at the panels. Keep in mind the rails already have some grease on them and it either will get dry or contaminated, such as after rain and having the windows go up and down. I could do a DIY with photos this coming Saturday on how to get the door panel off if anyone is interested?

From there, very easy to clean the rails and also see what exactly is going on.
Old 06-11-07, 11:03 AM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

What I was getting to was asking if there was an alternate way of cleaning the windows trak with out taking off the pannel. I guess not, but I would apreciate a DIY on taking off the pannel to clean the window track. Thnx Lexmex
Old 06-11-07, 11:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

What I was getting to was asking if there was an alternate way of cleaning the windows trak with out taking off the pannel. I guess not, but I would apreciate a DIY on taking off the pannel to clean the window track. Thnx Lexmex
My pleasure
Old 06-11-07, 06:18 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what would you relube it with?
Old 06-11-07, 09:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bloo1987
so what would you relube it with?
Well I sprayed it with some WD-40, but that didn't do the trick for long, so we took off the panel again recently and added some grease, it was some silicone based stuff and had a Mexican company's name. Much more resistant to moisture.
Old 06-11-07, 09:09 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Well I sprayed it with some WD-40, but that didn't do the trick for long, so we took off the panel again recently and added some grease, it was some silicone based stuff and had a Mexican company's name. Much more resistant to moisture.
Will Lithium grease work good for this project?
Old 06-13-07, 01:02 AM
lexbudy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your problem fixed? had same problem before, cleaning it up and putting some grease on it help solve the problem..
Old 06-13-07, 06:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Easy DIY

Don't put any kind of petroleum lubricant on those channels! - you will have permanently smeared windows. Those window channels have probably dried out with the coming heat of summer and need cleaning and softening. Here's a quick and easy DIY that has worked for me and several others . . .
  1. Clean the window thoroughly inside and out, getting as close to the edge as possible - this will help keep MORE dirt from running into the channel.

2. Roll the window down and spray the channel lightly with Armorall. Use the corner of a rag to wipe it around the channel. Wait ten minutes and wipe dry.

3. Roll the window up and apply Rain-X to both inside and outside - getting as close as possible to the edges. Follow the package directions. If you can, try to let a TINY bit of the product flow under the seal. When dry, buff thoroughly.

I use the "exterior" product on both the inside and the outside. The "interior" Rain-X has glycerin in it as an anti-fog compound and you will spend weeks trying to buff out the smears.

4. Roll the window down and up several times when all is finished and dry. By lubricating the window channels and softening them with Armorall and smoothing the glass with the Rain-X, your windows should operate freely. You can spray a tiny amount of dry silicon lubricant (NOT WD-40 - that contains wax) into the channels to lubricate if necessary.
I can't guarantee it will work in every case, but at least you now have clean windows.

If you still have problems with the pinch "sensors" (actually a current limiter that reverses the window travel at some pre-determined setpoint) you may have to replace the window motor - not an inexpensive or easy task. Just before undertaking that fix, here's one last-ditch DIY project:

Go to your local pharmacist and ask the nice man for some pure lanolin. About a tablespoon is a lifetime supply and it may be used sparingly as a lubricant on recalcitrant snaps, zippers, and in all kinds of applications where a non-staining, water-resistant grease is needed. Lanolin will penetrate any porous surface to lubricate and condition - that's why it is the base for many fine hand and face creams. It is a natural product produced by sheep and other animals to keep skin moist and their coat water-repellent.

Use a q-tip to apply a THIN coat of lanolin to the window channels, particularly on the sides of the windows (where the glass is sliding). Wait a few minutes and wipe out the excess. You only want to leave the lubricant in the cracks and pores of the channel, not so much on the surface. That should allow the window to operate normally with a minimum of smearing.

Bonus: the lanolin will leave your skin nice and soft - ahem, in a manly way, of course.

Old 06-13-07, 09:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Will Lithium grease work good for this project?
Let me clarify, the grease goes on the rails, not the window. I promise I will show how to remove the door panel on Saturday to get at these rails. They don't touch the windows

What Lil4X mentions is incredibly valuable and I have heard of lanolin working very well before.