RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No more bullhorn on the black bull?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 04:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by zombie
that looks really cool lexmex. you should make kits for people to buy

where do you keep your airfilter or are you not using one at all? i couldnt really find it on your pics.

btw i tried to send you a message on cardomain, but your page looks like it cant receive messages.
Oh...there is no air filter.

I know all the negatives about this, but unfortunately when I was using one, my gas mileage was much worse (even when I tried one on my modified design) and in the case of the K&N I got crud on the MAF. Running without an air filter is quite common up here. However, the K&N distributor here does a ton of business, in fact at one point he had more sales than any K&N distributor on the planet.

I don't recommend this to anyone, but hopefully no one ever has to drive in an environment like the one I have. Running without an air filter can cause among other things scratched cylinder walls (worse compression), worse emissions (depending on what is getting sucked in) and the potential for engine damage depending on the size of the what goes in there. However, I have been taking this risk for about 2.5 years now along with running without a spare tire. I enjoy being the guinea pig.

BTW, we had rain not too long after we opened the track this afternoon, but will attempt Friday night.

I just keep my cardomain page up as an informational page. I actually enjoy voting for everyone else's page (always 5 stars). I did see your site the other day. I love that zombie emblem on the back. I was thinking about something like Harrier Sport for mine.

I saw your site on car domain,
Old 06-24-07, 05:12 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Running without an air filter can cause among other things scratched cylinder walls (worse compression), worse emissions (depending on what is getting sucked in) and the potential for engine damage depending on the size of the what goes in there. However, I have been taking this risk for about 2.5 years now along with running without a spare tire. I enjoy being the guinea pig.
I have a new Autozone filter, but I want to try driving without it tomorrow. And see what it does in my situation. Just for one day. I will keep it inside in case of a rain.

Guinea pigs (also called cavies) are rodents belonging to the family Caviidae and the genus Cavia. Guinea pigs are classified in order Rodentia, although there is a minority belief in the scientific community that evidence from mitochondrial DNA indicates that the Hystricognathi may belong to a different evolutionary offshoot, and therefore a different order.
Old 06-24-07, 05:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
I have a new Autozone filter, but I want to try driving without it tomorrow. And see what it does in my situation. Just for one day. I will keep it inside in case of a rain.

Guinea pigs (also called cavies) are rodents belonging to the family Caviidae and the genus Cavia. Guinea pigs are classified in order Rodentia, although there is a minority belief in the scientific community that evidence from mitochondrial DNA indicates that the Hystricognathi may belong to a different evolutionary offshoot, and therefore a different order.
Guinea pigs are so cute.

Next weekend I hope to get that oil catch can set up (I will keep your idea in mind Dmitry about removing the intake manfold to clean it as I was looking at the bolts the other day). There is a guy in my uncle's neighborhood who knows how to work with aluminum sheet metal and could make it, but we would have to weld on the nipples. He made a couple of things for my buddy Michael's RX7 (the one I show on my car domain page) along with my cousin Carlos' Golf. I have no doubt he could have made me a cold air box.
Old 06-24-07, 05:22 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh...there is no air filter.

I know all the negatives about this, but unfortunately when I was using one, my gas mileage was much worse (even when I tried one on my modified design) and in the case of the K&N I got crud on the MAF. Running without an air filter is quite common up here. However, the K&N distributor here does a ton of business, in fact at one point he had more sales than any K&N distributor on the planet.

I don't recommend this to anyone, but hopefully no one ever has to drive in an environment like the one I have. Running without an air filter can cause among other things scratched cylinder walls (worse compression), worse emissions (depending on what is getting sucked in) and the potential for engine damage depending on the size of the what goes in there. However, I have been taking this risk for about 2.5 years now along with running without a spare tire. I enjoy being the guinea pig.

BTW, we had rain not too long after we opened the track this afternoon, but will attempt Friday night.

I just keep my cardomain page up as an informational page. I actually enjoy voting for everyone else's page (always 5 stars). I did see your site the other day. I love that zombie emblem on the back. I was thinking about something like Harrier Sport for mine.

I saw your site on car domain,
you are a very brave man to be running without a filter. i would be worried about pebbles, because every time i clean out my stock air box thats all i would find.

I've been getting a lot of positive comments about the zombie emblem. my gf would always joke around with friends saying its a special edition "zombie" rx300.
Old 06-24-07, 05:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

you are a very brave man to be running without a filter. i would be worried about pebbles, because every time i clean out my stock air box thats all i would find.

I've been getting a lot of positive comments about the zombie emblem. my gf would always joke around with friends saying its a special edition "zombie" rx300.
I used to find leaves and dead bugs at the bottom of my air box.

I really like the zombie emblem.

I see some dudes down here doing exotic stuff on VWs and Chevy's in terms of trying to combine certain letters together often using English profanity (not against the law here).
Old 06-24-07, 06:06 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Hahaha! RX300 Zombie Edition. RX301.
How did you do it? Where did you get the characters?
Old 06-24-07, 06:19 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

I used to find leaves and dead bugs at the bottom of my air box.

I really like the zombie emblem.

I see some dudes down here doing exotic stuff on VWs and Chevy's in terms of trying to combine certain letters together often using English profanity (not against the law here).
I have seen a license plate saying "XEP BAM", which in Russian (Cyrillic alphabet) means "go f... yourself". I would be cool to have "NONE", "WHAT EVER", or "NO IDEA" license plate, to dispute tickets in court.
Old 06-24-07, 06:32 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Hahaha! RX300 Zombie Edition. RX301.
How did you do it? Where did you get the characters?
here is the ebay seller i bought the letters from. then when i installed it i just used painters tape to try and keep it straight and leveled.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stick...mZ140024524695
Old 06-25-07, 04:07 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

hey lexmex i was just wondering if you've tried changing the stock Y pipe between the throttle body and maf. i was looking at it a couple of months ago and wondering if i could remove the box looking intake silencers and replace it with a plastic piece with an attachment for the pvc tube.

back when i had my 4runner, a lot of 3.4L toyota engine owners did this to their stock intake hose. there was even a seller on ebay that was selling kits to perform this mod.

link of how to do the mod on 3.4L engines
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=75168
Old 06-25-07, 07:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

hey lexmex i was just wondering if you've tried changing the stock Y pipe between the throttle body and maf. i was looking at it a couple of months ago and wondering if i could remove the box looking intake silencers and replace it with a plastic piece with an attachment for the pvc tube.

back when i had my 4runner, a lot of 3.4L toyota engine owners did this to their stock intake hose. there was even a seller on ebay that was selling kits to perform this mod.

link of how to do the mod on 3.4L engines
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=75168
That is an interesting link.

I have actually though about playing with that area. I don't like the baffles on the hoses leading to the throttle body. Weapon-R makes a ram air kit (for lower intake air) with attachment that has this (not a bad idea), but baffles aren't as good as what I like to call mandrel bent (not crushed) piping tubing. PVC works well for this and doesn't suck up heat.

I want to do a modification on the piece I have before my MAF this Saturday and that should be doable. Upstream is possible but it would take some extremely good workmanship on some quality piping. I have seen some examples of aluminum piping used to this extent and using rubber couplers. One photo you may remember is that one I posted of the Topline 1MZFE turbo system. Note the aluminum piping toward the throttle body.

There are only two hoses (one going into that triangle resonator) and other is a crankshaft vent hose) that go on to the plastic piece that goes between the MAF and the throttle body.
Attached Thumbnails No more bullhorn on the black bull?-twinturbo1mzfe.jpg  
Old 06-25-07, 08:49 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Ron, this looks like your RX with body removed ;-)
Old 06-25-07, 09:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Ron, this looks like your RX with body removed ;-)
Close enough.
Old 07-30-07, 12:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I wanted to give you an update on this device. As you know I went back to my silver steel intake instead of the one as shown here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=291398

However, I kept the lower air intake described in the current thread. After clear weather this weekend, I finally got 2 nights of decent testing. My father and I evaluated this intake on the track and found no discernable difference in times over the bullhorn intake, though I did notice on Friday night (a little cooler than Saturday) that my km/h was in the 124 range (125.01 km/h is the record) including a 124.81. The intake does seem to kick in a little better just before the end of the track (when the switch from 2nd to 3rd gear occurs and the velocity trap that registers speed comes into play) and this was not prevalent on the bullhorn intake except in cooler fall/winter months.

On Sunday afternoon, I decided as a test, to remove the lower air intake shown above...similar to removal of the resonators. Normally, times would be about 18.4 to 18.5 or so given hotter day weather. Without the lower air intake, times dropped to 18.7 to 18.9, so that lower air intake definitely kicks a fair punch.

This upcoming Saturday, weather permitting, my father and I plan to work on a modification of the above lower air intake...a slightly improved design to see if 1) we can capture more air from the bumper hole (like the bullhorn) and 2) better distribute the air flow upward toward the engine bay with a small PVC y-pipe.