RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clean Engine Bays?! PICS Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-07 | 10:00 PM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Default Clean Engine Bays?! PICS Please

Hey everyone, i wanna get a thread going of how clean everyones engine bay is. I will post a before and after shot once my car is in better running shape. I plan on using Simply Green (concentrated form bought from Home depot) and then water hose/ Pressure washer (will make sure to cover battery, anything else i am forgetting?) Hopefully this thread wont be deleted.
Old 06-29-07 | 10:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cobravap
Hey everyone, i wanna get a thread going of how clean everyones engine bay is. I will post a before and after shot once my car is in better running shape. I plan on using Simply Green (concentrated form bought from Home depot) and then water hose/ Pressure washer (will make sure to cover battery, anything else i am forgetting?) Hopefully this thread wont be deleted.
I did a thread where we washed the engine bay last year, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241019

Always an interesting thing to do.
Old 06-29-07 | 11:25 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

my friend says you have to wrap the alternator with a plastic bag before you clean the engine bay. if you don't, then your gonna have to wait for the alternator to completely dry before you can start up the engine again. just wondering if this is true.
Old 06-30-07 | 04:42 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Hahaha, thanks Lexmex. I think instead we should get a sticky going of alll the DIY threads that people have started. I wouldnt have even thought that your thread would have existed. Thanks again.

Also, question: Do u think its ok to pour the cleaner and the water on top of the engine w/o engine cover there?

Thanks

Last edited by cobravap; 06-30-07 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-30-07 | 06:06 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

I think i read that somewhere also. Also u dont wanna do this on a hot engine if common sense didnt tell u to begin with.
Old 06-30-07 | 06:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have heard that about the alternator, but no issues each time I do it. Keep in mind, it doesn't get drenched just sprayed in shots.

You don't want to spray too much cleaner. If you spray like you would windex, just a bit at time in spots it will work.

THE KEY AREA TO SPRAY is around the side of the engine block. This gets dirty, especially on the front and back (if you can get there like I did) and especially around the pulleys. Those of you with the URD crankshaft pulley no doubt know the importrance of keeping this area clean to ensure maximum efficiency of the pulley.
Old 06-30-07 | 10:32 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zombie
my friend says you have to wrap the alternator with a plastic bag before you clean the engine bay. if you don't, then your gonna have to wait for the alternator to completely dry before you can start up the engine again. just wondering if this is true.
No need to cover alternator.
Old 06-30-07 | 11:35 AM
salimshah

Unless you have oil leaks, get mud in the bay or never have cleaned your engine ever ..., compressed air blast is all that is needed. I have a pancake compressor that I use to fill air as well as clean out the engine bay.

To prevent oil spills, use funnel and wipe off immediately.

The problem with cleaners and water is they compromise insulation and can give wrong readings from sensors.

Salim
Old 07-06-07 | 10:50 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

for a clean engine bay i just had my engine cover painted
here is a pic and also i had my front bumper painted. dont worry ill fix the holes.

Old 07-06-07 | 11:10 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

sweet pics bloo1987! i painted my engine cover too, but my engine is still dirty.

Old 07-07-07 | 04:43 AM
Gomer1
Driver

sweet pics bloo1987! i painted my engine cover too, but my engine is still dirty.

eeeeuuuuuu.....baby wipes man, that'll do trick. For rougher greasy areas, a rag and simple green. Regardless what other people might say, i would prevent getting any water there, specially at high pressure. You'll never know, and when the RX doesn't start, you'll regret it.
Old 07-08-07 | 12:40 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

im going to clean my engine tomorrow. might just use degreaser and a spray bottle filled with water.
Old 07-14-07 | 12:14 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

i use the camera on my phone so i made the engine look dirty ...
Attached Thumbnails Clean Engine Bays?! PICS Please-img00015.jpg  
Old 07-14-07 | 12:33 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

sgv_bum...what kind of intake is that?
Old 07-14-07 | 12:40 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

sgv_bum...what kind of intake is that?
blitz intake ... also i have a custom pipe that go down to bumper to suck in more cold air.

Quick Reply: Clean Engine Bays?! PICS Please