RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Destroyed ABS sensor, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 09:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
My thinking was that there might be exposed contacts/wires on the underside of the fuse panel that could get grounded, either from touching to some nearby engine compartment metal directly or though a wrench/screwdriver. If these wires were before the fuses, they might not be fused for protection.
On the weekend, I can get this box off and check just to make sure. I haven't really paid to much attention underneath where the fusebox area is, as mostly it is just a step that I do in terms of air modifications.
Old 07-05-07, 10:24 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexmex,

Really appreciate your help. It looks like two bolts hold the top part of the fusebox in place. Does it just pull up after removing these two bolts, or do you have to manipulate some plastic tabs as well. If you could spare some pictures when you take it off this week-end, I would be grateful. Hopefuly someone will benefit from my mistake of trying to pull the fusible link.

If the battery is disconnected, I do not see any issues other than losing your radio presets. I do not see and code required for the radio. I did notice a note that you can expect some driveability issues after reconnecting the battery while it re-learns your driving habits.

thanks again
Duane.
Old 07-05-07, 10:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by duane
Lexmex,

Really appreciate your help. It looks like two bolts hold the top part of the fusebox in place. Does it just pull up after removing these two bolts, or do you have to manipulate some plastic tabs as well. If you could spare some pictures when you take it off this week-end, I would be grateful. Hopefuly someone will benefit from my mistake of trying to pull the fusible link.

If the battery is disconnected, I do not see any issues other than losing your radio presets. I do not see and code required for the radio. I did notice a note that you can expect some driveability issues after reconnecting the battery while it re-learns your driving habits.

thanks again
Duane.
You have to manipulate the plastic tabs a little, shouldn't be too hard. I will definitely get to it on Saturday.

I think you lose your seat settings and of course your clock resets along with other information live avg. mph and mpg. Don't worry to much about your RX re-learning, I do this every week before heading up to the track.
Old 07-07-07, 12:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

duane,

I am going to tell you first the advice my uncle gave me on these fuses (they exist in other vehicles), "Only attempt to pull it out if you are ready to replace it)." He said he has broken a few himself, and they are definitely not easy to pull out. He said there was no reason to go underneath the box as he was sure there was just a wire underneath. Since it wasn't too hard to get off I went ahead.

However, he said you have to PULL REALLY HARD to get it out, it is not easy at all.

Below is a picture of what such fuses look like underneath.
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed ABS sensor, need help-img_2793.jpg  
Old 07-07-07, 12:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I didn't pull out the fuse after hearing my uncle's advice (didn't want to bust it either and didn't have a spare), but he did tell me to take off the top as shown.
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed ABS sensor, need help-img_2794.jpg  
Old 07-07-07, 01:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Although not necessary, to get at underneath the box, you need to take off the two 10 mm screw and easily unhook the plastic clamps.

This is the wire (white wire in the lower left corner that hooks into the ABS fuse).
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed ABS sensor, need help-img_2791.jpg  
Old 07-07-07, 01:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And this is what the rest of the area underneath the top of the fusebox looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed ABS sensor, need help-img_2792.jpg  
Old 07-08-07, 04:55 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexmex,

Thank you very much. We are very lucky to have you as a resource.

I will try and pull up on the fusible link. I have found spares at the local auto parts store for around $4.00

I will let you know how it goes. Say thanks to your uncle as well

Duane