RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Aftermarket Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 09:04 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX300 Aftermarket Suspension

Since I pretty much replaced almost everything on my RX, I think I am ready to start planning to replace the whole suspension system on the truck. I don't want to lower or raise the vehicle, or severely affect dynamic traction. Also, I do not want use OEM parts.
I want to do it myself, even if this means that I have to rent a lift bay at mechanics shop and buy special tools.
Any suggestions, tips or links?
Old 07-04-07, 10:05 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Autozone has loaner spring compressor tool. You need a ratchet, various 6 point sockets, and usual tools such as jack, lug nut wrench etc. No biggie for first time DIY, I have not changed springs for the RX because there is no coilover for AWD. TEIN makes a coilover for FWD RX300, won't fit the rear for AWD.

Aftermarket springs such as H&R, Eibach, TEIN, do not really lower the car that much, a little over 1" off 4" fender gap, most people can't tell unless park side by side with a stock RX300. H&R uses better steel and I have it on my Acura. Unless you want to import Harrier struts from Japan, you are stuck with OEM KYB.
The one thing I really want is rear sway bar, as usual, no one makes it. The one on RX is a joke, and rear sway will make a night and day difference that can be felt on the first turn.
Old 07-04-07, 10:50 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Autozone has loaner spring compressor tool. You need a ratchet, various 6 point sockets, and usual tools such as jack, lug nut wrench etc. No biggie for first time DIY, I have not changed springs for the RX because there is no coilover for AWD. TEIN makes a coilover for FWD RX300, won't fit the rear for AWD.
What is "lug nut wrench"? Just kidding
So are you saying nobody makes coilovers for AWD RX300? Is it possible to buy aftermarket shocks separately from all springs?
Aftermarket springs such as H&R, Eibach, TEIN, do not really lower the car that much, a little over 1" off 4" fender gap, most people can't tell unless park side by side with a stock RX300. H&R uses better steel and I have it on my Acura. Unless you want to import Harrier struts from Japan, you are stuck with OEM KYB.
The one thing I really want is rear sway bar, as usual, no one makes it. The one on RX is a joke, and rear sway will make a night and day difference that can be felt on the first turn.
Okay, rear sway bar. It is still in good condition (although I don't know to how to diagnose fully it yet). What could be some of the reasons for me to replace it? I know Bar-to-Hub brackets get worn, but they are made of solid tempered alloys. I know I said "whole suspension system" but did not want to replace "good-until-you-jump-and-land-an-abyss" stuff like stabilizers or control arms.

Thanks for lots of info!
Old 07-04-07, 11:05 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meetya
What is "lug nut wrench"? Just kidding
So are you saying nobody makes coilovers for AWD RX300? Is it possible to buy aftermarket shocks separately from all springs?

Okay, rear sway bar. It is still in good condition (although I don't know to how to diagnose fully it yet). What could be some of the reasons for me to replace it? I know Bar-to-Hub brackets get worn, but they are made of solid tempered alloys. I know I said "whole suspension system" but did not want to replace "good-until-you-jump-and-land-an-abyss" stuff like stabilizers or control arms.

Thanks for lots of info!
Only coilovers for AWD are from JDM, you needs to have someone to buy it from Japan and pay big $ for them.
Rear sway bar almost never break, the one on RX just tiny to transfer weight from one side to the other, as a result a lot of body lean.
With a complete set of Craftsman sockets, 1/2 drive torque wrench to tighten, and a 1/2 Snap-On breaker bar to loosen, I never use those ugly stock wrenches
Old 07-05-07, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

TunedRX300 is right on the AWD JDMs. I have two copies of HyperRev Harrier magazine that list a few pages of coilovers and the like (very beautiful pieces) and from the prices in yen, you are talking some big cash for those pieces alone in Japan. Only a few had website listings, like Tein, and the rest were names I have never heard of.
Old 07-09-07, 06:21 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Ok, which struts are better? Monroe or KYB? Anybody tried Monroe?
Old 07-09-07, 08:16 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

If you are really desperate, buy Tein Coilover for FWD, use the front two and buy springs for the rear. That gets you 3/4 of way there but costs a lot of $.
Old 07-09-07, 08:51 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

If you are really desperate, buy Tein Coilover for FWD, use the front two and buy springs for the rear. That gets you 3/4 of way there but costs a lot of $.
Tein Coilovers are $1200. And since I won't be using rear ones, I am loosing half of it plus I get 2.48 inch drop at the front. I read reviews on KYB GR2 -- these are different from OEM KYB. I think I will go with them (~$400) plus H&R Springs (~$250) and new OEM Spring Insulators and Strut Bumpers (~$120).
That is ~$800 total for new semi-aftermarket suspension. Pretty much a price of two sets of tires.

If I replace everything with OEM-only parts it would cost me $520 for struts, $370 for springs and $150 for everything else. Totaling $1040.

I am not sure that Spring Seats and Strut Mounts need replacement.
Old 07-09-07, 09:23 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
Tein Coilovers are $1200. And since I won't be using rear ones, I am loosing half of it plus I get 2.48 inch drop at the front. I read reviews on KYB GR2 -- these are different from OEM KYB. I think I will go with them (~$400) plus H&R Springs (~$250) and new OEM Spring Insulators and Strut Bumpers (~$120).
That is ~$800 total for new semi-aftermarket suspension. Pretty much a price of two sets of tires.

If I replace everything with OEM-only parts it would cost me $520 for struts, $370 for springs and $150 for everything else. Totaling $1040.

I am not sure that Spring Seats and Strut Mounts need replacement.

i might be selling my kyb gr2 and tein springs soon only about couple months old ... upgrading to the coliovers
Old 07-09-07, 09:34 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sgv_bum
i might be selling my kyb gr2 and tein springs soon only about couple months old ... upgrading to the coliovers
You got FWD? How does your suspension system feel right now?
Old 07-09-07, 10:37 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Check this official CL vendor out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254365
Old 07-10-07, 06:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

That's a good find right here on CL.

In the HyperRev magazines and some of the setups I have seen in Asia, this is a very popular type of modification. In the magazines, there were several pages devoted entirely to these types of systems.
Old 07-10-07, 09:21 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

I will buy this kit only after I install texas buffalo horns on the grille and a police lightbar on the roof.
Old 07-10-07, 08:21 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

You can try KYB gr2 but I doubt it is drastically different than OEM KYB. This is the reason I did not go for lowering. But if Tein offers a coilover similar to the FWD, I am the first to pay for it plus EDFC.
Old 07-13-07, 01:53 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this how my look for now until end of the month .. its not a really good picture but it sitting on kyb n tein s tech
Attached Thumbnails RX300 Aftermarket Suspension-img00013.jpg  

Last edited by sgv_bum; 07-14-07 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: RX300 Aftermarket Suspension