RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

shocks and air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 11:00 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks and air intakes

shocks are those swirly things above the tire right? what do they actually do? if i wanted to get a replacement for them because they're looking kinda bad, are there good and bad ones? ones that are better? ones that absorb more or give a sportier/more luxurious ride?

i found cold air intakes on cardomain.com. what exactly does this do? how does it install (specifics not needed)? is it easy? is it like a screwon thing or does it have to be run from the engine to somewhere else like outside the car or what?
this is what im talking about http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Cold+Air+Intakes
Old 07-12-07, 11:31 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a cold air intake just has extra pipping that moves the air filter farther away from the hot engine (usually behind the air vents of the bumper).

weapon R sells short ram intakes that keeps the air filter right in the engine bay, so that just sucks in the engine's hot air.

they dont really make cold air intake kits for the rx300s. you would have to modify the weapon R short ram intake by adding more pipping to reach the driver side bumper vent.

just look at the many air intake post that lexmex made to give you an idea.

Last edited by zombie; 07-12-07 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 07:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If you really want some power, take a look at zombie's car domain page above as far as a good exhaust design. Most of mine require ripping up most of the exhuast system.

TunedRX300 is the best expert on this forum regarding suspension and brakes, I only gave much of an introduction as to what was currently available in my other post.

As far as intakes, the idea behind them is twofold. In the case of the intake itself, this is usually short, like the Weapon-R system zombie was mentioning, a simple pipe that has an air filter on the end inside the engine bay. The advantage is that there is less restriction and the air gets shoved in quicker since it doesn't have to take as long a route as with a stock airbox system. In the RX300, the stock system requires air to go into a long tube behind the driver's side headlight. The drawback of this system is that it takes in hot engine air. The best way to say this is the hotter the engine air, the less power.

Now, in a cold air intake system, the place where your intake takes in air is further away from the hot engine air. Usually in the fender or side body compartment near the wheel well. My system you see on page 6 of my car domain page uses this design. By ramming in cooler air, more power.

My current design (redesigned in the last two months), uses a combination of air from the engine bay (surrounded by a heat shield) and a dual lower intake that takes air from the hole in the front of the bumper on the driver's side. TunedRX300 came up with the original design for our vehicles several years.

My personal opinion is that the design of the Secret Weapon Intake from Weapon-R is the best in terms of tube design on the aftermarket. However, it runs about $250 USD. An old Dragon Intake if you can find on ebay or elsewhere is an alternative. There are several Injen and CP-E designs used by 1MZFE (same engine as the RX300 in the U.S., but slight differences) that are possible to be fitted to the RX300.

In the end, the question you have to ask is what you want to do, what do you want your vehicle to be and feel like and most important of all, how much $$$.
Old 07-13-07, 08:22 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a link to a recent thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=291977
Old 07-13-07, 08:27 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Those metal swirls are springs. Springs support the car's weight. Struts are gas filled shocks to absorb bounces on the road, they are covered with dust covers and mounted inside the springs.
Springs seldom go bad, unless they are rusted. Struts make clunking noise or leak when they go bad, you will notice the ride quality change also.
Old 07-13-07, 10:18 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

ok so about cold air intake.
pros: increasings horsepower?
cons: ?

if i had a cold air intake installed would i notice a difference? does it sound different (such as with different mufflers, doubt it, but thought id ask)

--thanks
Old 07-13-07, 10:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
ok so about cold air intake.
pros: increasings horsepower?
cons: ?

if i had a cold air intake installed would i notice a difference? does it sound different (such as with different mufflers, doubt it, but thought id ask)

--thanks
Well the pro is more horsepower, but cons can include depending on design water getting in (not really likely on the RX300 and I have driven through rain and I have no air filter, and have not had an issue), lower MPG (if you like to floor it, though my designs have actually shown a gain in MPG). You can see some other cons if you design your own intake like I do, but that is another story.

On the Weapon-R Dragon Intake, you notice a roar at 3,000 RPM+, but not much else. The intakes tend to be quiet at idle or when your aren't flooring it, at least in the case of the RX300.
Old 07-13-07, 11:44 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think you should just start off with a weapon R's short ram intake (found on eBay). the new weapon R secret weapon kit has an opening on top of the air filter, so you can run a hose to the bumper air vents to create a ram air effect (like Lexmex).

pros: fast short ram suction and ram cold air effect

cons: the ram air hose really makes the air filter dirty. you would have to clean the air filter often, so the air flow will not slow down because of debris.
Old 07-13-07, 01:42 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

so something like this would be perfect right?
Old 07-13-07, 01:45 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

along with these questions i have some others. i have a friend who lives out of state that had something installed onto his car so that when he floors it the car doesnt jerk. instead is continues at the perfect gradual pace without jerking. ive been in his car before and it definitely does that. what is this product? has anyone heard of it? i cant figure it out and it sounds pretty cool!
Old 07-13-07, 01:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Yeah, that is it.
Old 07-13-07, 01:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
along with these questions i have some others. i have a friend who lives out of state that had something installed onto his car so that when he floors it the car doesnt jerk. instead is continues at the perfect gradual pace without jerking. ive been in his car before and it definitely does that. what is this product? has anyone heard of it? i cant figure it out and it sounds pretty cool!
Well, the engine would be the thing that jerks, and in the RX300 there are engine mounts that help prevent this jerking, but they can get worn down.

Not sure if he installed something like polyurethane bushings or torque rods.
Old 07-13-07, 02:08 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

it's not like that i dont think...it's something he installed so that when he floors it there's no jerking. like instead of flooring it and the vehicle jerking foward to higher speeds and such, it takes off at a much smoother, gradual, and even pace, no jerking, and barely any while switching between gears. he said it's something to do with race equipped or something or other. i cant remember, and i havent been able to get in touch with him either.

does this sound familiar?
Old 07-13-07, 02:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Not really sure then. There are so many aftermarket pieces out there. Tough to say what they truly put in there.